HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Got it thanks. 2 x Y harness, so wing select 1+1. Did that last night but
didn't figure out the wires were wrong at rx.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
elev>elev mix

I just got a DX7s today am trying to make a elev>elev mix to give me more throw on my elevons. Don't see any way to do it, it was real simple on DX6I, cannot figure out how to do it.

Here is what I had set up on my DX6i

mix 1
aile>aile
100%
100%

mix2
elev>elev
100%
100%
windwalker is offline Find More Posts by windwalker
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
Do you need more travel even after adjusting servo travel?

Be careful when adding extra travel and a resulting combined pitch and roll input may overdrive the servos.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
I just got a DX7s today am trying to make a elev>elev mix to give me more throw on my elevons. Don't see any way to do it, it was real simple on DX6I, cannot figure out how to do it.
Can you adjust it mechanically? Are the control rods in the bottom holes on the control horns and the top holes on the servo arms?
BTW, I just ordered my DX7s today but the wife is gonna make me wait until Christmas to use it.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post

Here is what I had set up on my DX6i

mix 1
aile>aile
100%
100%

mix2
elev>elev
100%
100%
Real simple way - go to the Servo menu and change Travel to 150%. That's the maximum you can get from the system, period.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
The problem is not the travel as such, I never had to adjust travel on the DX6i. It allows you to just mix the elev to elev, and that doubles the travel, incredible amount of travel. I have set it now to the following settings, and have exactly what I want EXCEPT I am not getting as much travel on the right elevon as the left, close but not quite. I have maybe 75% as much travel as in the left.

mix 1
ail>ral
100%
100%

mix2
ail>lal
100%
100%

mix 3
ele>lal
100%
100%

mix4
ele>ral
100%
100%
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
You have created mixes that counteract one another.

The problem you have is understanding the mixing capabilities your new radio has over the DX6i.

If you just want to simulate what you had with your DX6i then create a ELE>LAL mix using proper +/- values for the rates. This will give you excess elevator control.

What is confusing you is the fact the DX7s has Back Mixing or Reverse Mixing which is active when you are mixing to a dual control surface.

In elevon wing type if you look at the servo monitor screen you will see you have RAL and LAL.

You know this cause you created mixes to them.
You only need to use LAL.

Then depending on the amount you need of extra travel you can easily avoid using any mixes and just add extra Dual Rate. Instead if the general use of reducing rates you would increase the dual rate for the elevator input.

Many ways you can get it done. You just need to learn your radio a bit more and understand what is happening this will help you be able to program or make use of the features you now have that you didn't with the DX6i.

If you tell us exactly what you have and what you want to do we will be able to provide you with the best options.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
I posted the current mix I have now in the previous post. Most people on a DX6i
simply program the elevon setup and don't use any additional mixes. However if you use the additional mixes, (posted in my original post) it appx doubles the amount of travel that you get with just a normal elevon setup.
I am trying to get that additional travel with the DX7s.

Hrre is a short youtube video of how my DX6i is setup and you can see the difference in the throws. This is what I am trying to reproduce on the DX7s.
Last edited by windwalker; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
Ok then just create a ELE>LAL mix and it will double your elevator just like the way you say about the DX6i thats for the elevator input.

Create one for Aileron if you want more roll.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:27 AM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
I am assuming that LAL and RAL are left and right aileron. (looked in the manual, cannot seem to verify this) if so is there a way to have it set to 1 aileron rather than a left and right?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:28 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,891 Posts
Elevons settings was a factory fault on the 6i, where when you went to elevons you had about half the throw that the servos would go in the normal setting. Only way you could get it back was through mixing. On the 7S, with the wing type setting for elevons, you get the same throw as normal elev and ail. Do as Andy says and go to "servo travel" and set up to 150% If you want more travel. No mixing needed.

Gord..
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
The beginning of your post isn't 100% accurate.

Reducing travel in elevon mixing is very normal for many brand of radios, it's too avoid overdriving servos when you combine dual inputs.

The DX6i would simply reduce travel to 50% so combined the total travel would not exceed 100%.
DX7s/DX8 and the new spk radios also reduce travel but they reduce them down to 75% for a combined 150% travel since the radios can do 150% travel where the DX6i could not.

Most elevon setup should be good but if you need more travel you can simply address this mechanically or by programming.

What was being posted in the past as being a fault was the fact the the Elevon travel for the DX6i was not equal on both sides. I never had any issues with my two Elevon plane when using the DX6i.
Last edited by freechip; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Roller switch operation is terrible!

I just got my brand new DX7s the other day. Boy, it looks nice, shiny and cool! So I decided to take a look at the menus to see what it has. I came across a place where I could enter my name.

It must have taken a full 15 minutes, just to enter the three letters "Gus"!! The switch part of the roller is WAY to sensitive. I had an almost impossible time trying to roll to the next letter. While trying to roll, it clicked instead, loading the wrong letter/symbol, of course. Then trying to roll back to that letter to change it, it would click again and take me somewhere else.

But the rolling feels flakey too. I roll it for a little bit and then it seems to put the brakes on and not let me roll anymore. I had to spin it with my finger nail right at the edge to make it roll. If I got my finger anywhere on the top of it, instead of rolling, it would click. It's been a long time since I have been that frustrated with the operation of any handheld device.

I have a DX6i which I have been using a lot for over a year. I have NEVER had a problem like this with the DX6i. So did Spektrum lose the recipe? Are ALL DX7s transmitters this bad? Or did I get a lemon?

In reading over comments on this and other threads I read several which said that a few months down the road, I'm going to wish I got the DX8 instead. For only $50 more, I could have the DX8 (without any extras). At first I was drawn into the DX7s because of the 3 receivers that come with it. Sounds great! But in thinking a bit, it turns out that at least right now, I don't need ANY of those receivers. I already have two high end Spektrum receivers plus an AR400. The AR400 is in my Super Cub with all the telemetry gear. I plan to put one of the high end receivers into my Radian sailplane and the other into my new Sky Scout sailplane.

I plan to call HH about this, but I'd like to hear from some of you first. Does the DX8 have a more robust roller switch that works reliably like the DX6i? Or is it exactly the same as in the DX7s? Comments, suggestions, advice?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
460 Posts
The DX7s that I had for a while seemed to work as well as my DX8, I didn't have any roller switch issues with mine. I've had my DX8 for a year or so, no issues at all, bought the DX7s used along with another AR8000 RX, sold the TX to a friend of mine for his BNF planes, ended up with a good deal for him on the TX, and an inexpensive RX for me!

Might be worth a call to Horizon to see what they say about your switch.
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,978 Posts
The DX7s and DX8 use the exact same roller wheel and software.

The DX7s/DX8 roller has an ENTIRELY different feel than the DX6i's.

On the DX7s/DX8, you should do your rolling on the lower half of the roller, and use the top half to click. This is, IIRC, exactly the opposite of the DX6i.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor