HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Its a lot easier to splice in a parallel JST connector and leave the TX connector unaffected.

Any Lipo, even cheap ones should be able to be charged @ 1C (4 amps for a 4.0 pack)

My common sense TX pack says right on it "Charge @ 2C max" (8 Amps).
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Its a lot easier to splice in a parallel JST connector and leave the TX connector unaffected.

Any Lipo, even cheap ones should be able to be charged @ 1C (4 amps for a 4.0 pack)

My common sense TX pack says right on it "Charge @ 2C max" (8 Amps).
The OEM pack has the charge termination and balancing circuit in the pack.Its not designed to pass that much current through.
If you use a standard pack with balance leads(OEM does not) on it you can definitely charge it at whatever rate you feel the cells can handle and attach your balance system to it as well.
The OEM pack was designed to be charged in the radio.If you need to make things more difficult than they need to be then by all means hack away and do it differently.I like to keep it as simple as possible.Maybe thats just me.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
The OEM pack has the charge termination and balancing circuit in the pack.Its not designed to pass that much current through.
If you use a standard pack with balance leads(OEM does not) on it you can definitely charge it at whatever rate you feel the cells can handle and attach your balance system to it as well.
The OEM pack was designed to be charged in the radio.If you need to make things more difficult than they need to be then by all means hack away and do it differently.I like to keep it as simple as possible.Maybe thats just me.
Nobody is talking about the OEM pack.

You can buy 3 HK 4.0's for the price of one OEM pack.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
aerocal - good call! I forgot what HK said about their packs: "The Turnigy DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack also features a built in voltage protection circuit, this circuit will automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged". Whew, you said me some bucks. Thanks!

The new HK LiPo was charged in about 8 hrs. I had to remove all the foam inserts to get it to fit.

I not sure if the NiHM pack is smart or not but it charges pretty fast in the Tx & next time I'll put the charger on a timer so there won't be any "Oops!".

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
aerocal - good call! I forgot what HK said about their packs: "The Turnigy DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack also features a built in voltage protection circuit, this circuit will automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged". Whew, you said me some bucks. Thanks!

The new HK LiPo was charged in about 8 hrs. I had to remove all the foam inserts to get it to fit.

I not sure if the NiHM pack is smart or not but it charges pretty fast in the Tx.

Chuck
Your good to go.It will run the radio a loooong time.Dont be afraid to run it down to 7.4 before charging.Ive taken mine out at 7.5 and flown a pretty good day and it still didnt run it down to the alarm.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
...ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on.
Just try to leave your TX switched on. I dare you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,084 Posts
Yep, A guy did that out at the field today Scared the SH## out of him when it went off. Done that a couple of times myself.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
Theres a guy at the field who is forever leaving his on...im guilty too
What i hate is when im working on a plane or what on the kitchen table.

Nice and quite, then all of a sudden its vibrating and beeping across the table...lol
Made me jump a few times... especially when working on the quad (with the props on)
"note to self..."always take props off muti rotor when working on them..."

To bad it could not be turned off.
I notced on the new FW the 7s has this feature added...Enabled ability to configure inactivity timer

Is this to turn it off? its only for the 7s from what i gather, i don't think the 8 has the feature, wondering if it is... why only the 7s?

Cheers
P.S LIPO ROCKs in the radio
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
On the 7s and 8 the inactivity configuation options are 5,10,30 and 60 minutes.
You cannot turn it completely off.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:40 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
Ok thanks, thats not bad, ill Prob set mine for 30mins or something!

cheers
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:26 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,430 Posts
Hi I have a dx7s and are looking to program my radian from what I can see a mix for the dx8 sould work for my 7? any comments
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert flier View Post
Hi I have a dx7s and are looking to program my radian from what I can see a mix for the dx8 sould work for my 7? any comments
There is an SPM file for the Radian that works in the DX8. Is there one for the DX7S? It would save you some programming time.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
With the OEM or other pack that was designed for the radio the "smart" part of the charging is done by a circuit built into the pack.Your not going to gain anything by charging with a separate charger.Its made to handle the 200ma charge rate.If you try to charge it faster you may damage the circuit in the pack.As long as it is an OEM type pack just put it in the radio and charge it.Screwing with the connector and wires by swapping it in and out all the time
is going to put more wear and tear on the wires and connector too.Charging the NiMh with the built in charger isnt a huge deal either.Just dont leave it plugged in too long.If you only use 10-20% of capacity dont put it on the charger for 10 hrs.2 or 3 is more than enough.It needs to be run down alot farther to need 10-12 hrs of charge.

You can kind of figure it in your head with basic math. 200ma charge rate and a 2000mah pack=10hrs.The radio uses about 140ma so 2000by 140 gives over 14 hrs of runtime.More like 15.
The LiPo is 4000 mah.20hrs from all the way discharged to full.Plus some time for balancing and ramping down current.It could take up to 30 hrs the first time but I found it more like 12-15.And it shuts itself off.
Runs the radio for 30+ hrs.

Either way it requires a basic amount of attention.
Thanks Aerocal for this detail, that will help me to manage my DX7s charge/battery.
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
There is an SPM file for the Radian that works in the DX8. Is there one for the DX7S? It would save you some programming time.
DX8 SPM files will not work in a DX7s.

Does anyone know what this means in the change log "Added SD logfile indicator to main screens." Does thi smean we will now be able to store telemetry log data to the SD Card like you can with the higher models?

Edit: Nevermind...I see that SD telemetry logging was enabled in the last update. How did I miss that!?!?
{}{steve}{} is online now Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,275 Posts
FYI - Once you created a Telemetry Log File that is saved on the SD Card. If you have an iDevice, you can email the Log File to your iDevice Email. When you read the email and click on the attachement, the iDevice will bring up the option of view the file with the STi app if you have the app on your iDevice.

If you have the GPS sensor, we will soon be able to view the flight path on Google Map.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip