HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I fully intend to do just that - but since I'm flying with it now, if anyone has been using that NiMH pack with any success, I'd appreciate some answers to the questions in post #794. Also, even after using a LiPO pack the NiMH will still be used as a backup.

No stress, just need information. Thanks.
No need to worry about storage charge level.You simply have to appply a little logic with its use.Im still using one in one of my radios and it works fine.About 10-12 hrs on the charger if you run it all the way down to 4.4. At 5.2 its plenty full.Actually 4.8-4.9 is nominally a full charge.
Do the math to figure how long is long enough to charge with partial use.Usually 4-5 hrs is plenty if its only halfway down.A full charge will run the radio for 10-12 hrs.If you try to overfill it and get it hot all the time the pack will degrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Good luck in your quest. I'm afraid no one has the answers you seek.

The Charger in the radio is not made for NiMH batteries, it is made for lipo batteries. There are "Smart chargers" and there are "dumb chargers". it is a Dumber charger.

HH sees Lipo batteries as a profit center. It's always been part of their business model. It's why they didn't spend one extra buck making a smart NiMH charger, knowing eventually everyone who purchases a TX will give up on the NiMH battery and buy a Lipo.

A bit of forshadowing:

When you purchase a Lipo battery, the NiMH will go into a box some where, never to be heard from or seen again. It won't be a "backup" for anything, except maybe a table with a short leg.
You seem to think you know alot about marketing.The charger works fine for the NiMh pack.You just have to apply a little care in its use.The design of the radio is fine given its price point.If you want the no-brain option of a LiPo then buy one.For alot of ppl the NiMh option is just fine.If your really using the radio enough to need the LiPo the upgrade is a drop in the bucket compared to other expenses.Why add the extra expense to the radio when many wont use it?
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
OK, thanks.

And you very well might be right about not using the NiMH pack as a backup.

They should sell the radio without batteries - maybe that's essentially what's happening anyway and the NiMH pack is just to allow immediate initial use. I suppose it's like those minimal memory cards that are/were supplied with cameras.

The DX6i - 4 single AA cells, no built-in charger, is a better arrangement in my opinion. Is there really a need for a charger to be built into the 7s or any other transmitter for that matter?
The NiMH batteries are there to make you realize how fabulous the Lipo is when you switch over, then you'll tell everyone at the flying field how great the $60 Lipo is and then the HH cash register goes CHA-CHING!!! Everybody wins!

The built in Lipo charger is Brilliant! As soon as you pop in the Lipo into the radio, plug in the charger and an hour later, you have a couple days of nonstop flying time packed into your radio, you will IMEADIATELY think AA batteries you were just praising are stupid.

NiMH AA batteries go bad all the time. I probably have 6 bad ones laying on my desk I wouldn't trust in a electric razor for 30 seconds... the last thing I would want is one of those responsible for a 100 mph plane... and just one needs to be bad for things to go wrong.

HH is run by smart people. They didn't get where they are doing dumb things, unless the dumb things they do are on purpose.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,143 Posts
The DX8 should have come with the LiPo. I bought the LiPo a week after I bought the radio. JR, for example, is selling the XG11 with an LiFe Tx pack.

I bought an HTC Thunderbolt Android Cell Phone. It came with a battery that was not nearly of a Capacity necessary to keep the phone running for a full day. I bought the Extended Capacity battery the next day. They should have sold the phone with the Extended Capacity battery, but what are you going to do about it.

I am happy with the DX8 and the Thunderbolt, once the right batteries were installed.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:31 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,906 Posts
Understand what you are saying and of course I completly agree but what happens if that means the price is 60$ more then it is now based on the fact it comes stock with LIPO?

Some are very content with the OEM NiMh battery and probably are also happy the radio wasn't 60$ more.

So I can undestand both sides of it sort of speak.
What they could of done is offer a discount if the radio was purchase from HH or credited LHS store.

That way is you paid full price for the radio you could get discount on upgraded battery.
My 0.02$ and that's Canadian so not sure if it's more or less right now.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
The DX8 should have come with the LiPo. I bought the LiPo a week after I bought the radio. JR, for example, is selling the XG11 with an LiFe Tx pack.
The DX10t and DX18 come with LiPo. There's room in the pricing to do that. The 7/8/9 channel market is pretty crowded and there's no price room to include a LiPo at this time.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The DX10t and DX18 come with LiPo. There's room in the pricing to do that. The 7/8/9 channel market is pretty crowded and there's no price room to include a LiPo at this time.

Andy
Ok! I understand that concept. The NiMh battery does work. The LiPo is just less hassle and runs for months on a charge, so I prefer the LiPo.

I have purchased ARF's that come with hardware I do not care to use. I toss the unwanted hardware in a box and buy hardware that I feel more comfortable with.

I understand that from a marketing standpoint, a product has to meet a certain price-point to be competitive.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,788 Posts
Another way to look at it is, for a few bucks more, they may be able to sell more trans. if they knew they had lipos installed, especially those that have lipos in the trans, they're using now and are satisfied with them

Gord..
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:42 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
New Firmware version 1.03

I have received this e-mail from Spektrum today:

New DX7s 1.03 & DX8 2.06 AirWare™ firmware are now available for download

Dear Spektrum Signal,

The Spektrum team is happy to announce a 1.03 version of AirWare for the DX7s and a 2.06 version for the DX8. Make sure you are up-to-date and download DX7s 1.03 or DX8 2.06 today.

DX7s Version 1.03:
Software Features:
  • Automatically corrects sub-trim and travel for models created in version 1.01 and earlier after prompting the user. This is functional both for models already in your radio, and for any you import from an SD card. You should always verify operation of a model when making any updates prior to flying it.
  • Enabled ability to configure inactivity timer
  • Enabled dimming control of the orange Spektrum LED for night flying

Software Corrections:
  • P-Link Master Trainer mode was using trainer data for channels GEAR and higher.
  • When a channel is reversed the endpoint adjustment worked on the opposite side from what was expected.
  • Improved French translations.
  • Added SD logfile indicator to main screens.
NOTE: This change affects sub-trim and travel of existing models and ones you will import. You should double-check sub-trims and travel on any reversed control surfaces in both airplanes and helicopters when using models created in version 1.01 and earlier.
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,906 Posts
I also just now received the same email BUT the actual update was released yesterday and someone posted it being released yesterday also.

RCG is a tad faster then HH Emailing services.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
I just received my HK LiPo. The instructions say 30 hrs to charge! Anybody know were to get the Tx side connector? I'd like to charge both the NiHm & LiPo on my "smart" chargers. Thanks.

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
...I'd like to charge both the NiHm & LiPo on my "smart" chargers. Thanks.

Chuck
Then you don't want to do it inside the radio.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
Turner2 - that's correct. I want to use my smart chargers which should charge both very quickly.

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,531 Posts
So, are you looking for a connector to mate with the battery?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,495 Posts
Quote:
I just received my HK LiPo. The instructions say 30 hrs to charge! Anybody know were to get the Tx side connector? I'd like to charge both the NiHm & LiPo on my "smart" chargers. Thanks.

Chuck
With the OEM or other pack that was designed for the radio the "smart" part of the charging is done by a circuit built into the pack.Your not going to gain anything by charging with a separate charger.Its made to handle the 200ma charge rate.If you try to charge it faster you may damage the circuit in the pack.As long as it is an OEM type pack just put it in the radio and charge it.Screwing with the connector and wires by swapping it in and out all the time
is going to put more wear and tear on the wires and connector too.Charging the NiMh with the built in charger isnt a huge deal either.Just dont leave it plugged in too long.If you only use 10-20% of capacity dont put it on the charger for 10 hrs.2 or 3 is more than enough.It needs to be run down alot farther to need 10-12 hrs of charge.

You can kind of figure it in your head with basic math. 200ma charge rate and a 2000mah pack=10hrs.The radio uses about 140ma so 2000by 140 gives over 14 hrs of runtime.More like 15.
The LiPo is 4000 mah.20hrs from all the way discharged to full.Plus some time for balancing and ramping down current.It could take up to 30 hrs the first time but I found it more like 12-15.And it shuts itself off.
Runs the radio for 30+ hrs.

Either way it requires a basic amount of attention.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Turner2 - that's correct. I want to use my smart chargers which should charge both very quickly.

Chuck
They are not designed to be fast charged.You dont need fast you need reliable.
Save the fast for flight batteries.