SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert flier View Post
What is the cutout voltage my low TX voltage alarm went of the otherday still flew for 40min after just wondering at what point it just gives up??
I guess more than 40 mins.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,670 Posts
I believe it's the same batt. setup as the DX8 where the low voltage cutoff is 4.3 volts. I wouldn't risk my plane at that voltage as the dropoff is fairly abrupt.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Hey guys. I bought a used DX7s and it didn't come with the power supply. Would I hurt the radio if I just used the old DX7 charger? I'm terrible at knowing what power supply or charger will work and what will fry. I am running lipos in the radio if that matters.

Thanks for your help
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
Hey guys. I bought a used DX7s and it didn't come with the power supply. Would I hurt the radio if I just used the old DX7 charger? I'm terrible at knowing what power supply or charger will work and what will fry. I am running lipos in the radio if that matters.

Thanks for your help
The DX7(original) wall wart is lower voltage.You need to supply the DX7s with 12v +/-. Do you have a12volt power supply to run other chargers? Just make a lead.Or look around and find a wall wart that has 12volt D.C. output of at least 200ma and put an end on it that will fit the Tx socket.
Make sure it is the charge port/socket and not the Trainer port.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,670 Posts
Be careful!! the DX7 uses a 9.8 volt batt and the DX7s uses a 4.8 volt batt with a charger built into the trans., same as the DX8 Also will take a Spektrum lipo batt.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:44 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
DX8 spm files on DX7s

Can I share my DX8 settings via a SPM file transfer with a friend that has a DX7s?

I know of a "translation" utility for heli setups, but I'm not sure what it does and it says it only supports heli's at present.

Thanks.
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post

Thanks for your help
It works electrically, but the charge jack is a physically different size.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Can I share my DX8 settings via a SPM file transfer with a friend that has a DX7s?

I know of a "translation" utility for heli setups, but I'm not sure what it does and it says it only supports heli's at present.

Thanks.
You can't share SPM file from one level radio to another.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It works electrically, but the charge jack is a physically different size.

Andy
The voltage is a bit lower but it will work?
Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wokingham
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Forgive me if I have missed this in my search but I am seeking help in programming my DX7s flaps. The model is Bixler2 with 4 servo 2 Ail + 2 Flp wing type selected on TX. For the Rx - I have either AR6200 or AR8000 to fit. AR6200 fitted at present with Y lead on Ail. (I also have HobbyKing 3 axis Gyro that I wish to connect - this has 1 Ail in and each LAL and RAL output. However, let me assume that I do not have gyro installed. I need to get the basics sorted first.)
Problem is gettting both flaps to operate in correct sense. LFL is on GEAR channel on RX. FLP switch is enabled to FLP and operates LFL in 3 positions as expected. Which channel should the RFL be on (only spare ch is AIX1) and then how to mix with the GEAR? Currently have RFL on AIX1 ch on RX.

In the Mixing Setup menu for MIX1 I see option of master as GER but do not see AIX1 in slave options?

The only results I can get are LAL and RAL working OK with LFL working OK but nothing happens on RFL. Alternatively I can get RFL moving with RAL. (not recommended!)

Can somebody please help with my confusion on DX7s mixing for flaps?
Topflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Topflyer1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
The confusion starts with your Wing Type Selection.

If you selected 2 Aileron and 2 Flap then you must use a 7ch or higher receiver.

If you keep the AR6200 and Y harness the Ailerons, then you must select the proper wing type (1 Ail 2 Flaps) then follow the Servo Monitor Screen to properly connect each servo. The radio renames the channel making it easy for you to know where to connect each servo.

If you want to take full advantage of Differential Ailerons then use your AR8000 and select (2 Ail 2 Flaps Wing type) and again follow the proper servo connections based on the renaming of the channels in the Servo Monitor Screen.

If you want to use your gyro then change the wing type accordingly, (1Ail 2 Flaps) Connect the single aileron input of the gyro to the Aileron channel of the RX but connect EACH AILERON servo in the proper aileron outputs of the Gyro.

No mixing required for FLAP when a Flap or FLAPS wing type is selected, this enable the FLAP Menu of the radio. If your Flaps don't move in the proper direction then a simple channel revesing is all that is needed.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wokingham
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
WOW! I wasn't expecting such a quick response TVM. I will have another go at it tonight and get it sorted.
Cheers.
Topflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Topflyer1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
Recently bought a DX7s and am a bit annoyed at the NIMH battery and method of charging.

Because it didn't show max charge on the icon after charging initially for 10 hours, I reconnected the 12v input for several hours - voltage didn't increase above 5.4 and quickly reduced to 5.2. As I now understand, this may be normal behaviour.

The real problem, as it seems to me, is how to tell when the battery is fully charged. Since it won't automatically shut down when fullly charged, are you supposed to just feel the pack and if it's warm or hot shut the charging down? Or - is it OK to turn the transmitter on and note the voltage while the charge cord is still connected? Or - should the charge cord be disconnected first then turn on the transmitter to check voltage?

I understand that it isn't good for these packs to renew charging when the pack is warm, charge several times per day, leave the pack fully charged, or over-discharge. NiMN batteries may output higher voltage for longer periods than other rechargables but with my DX6i it's so easy to just install 4 fresh batteries and not worrry about doing damage to an expensive pack. It also seems to me that it is not such a good idea to use the in-radio charger that will not automatically shut off at full charge.

- Does anyone remove the pack and charge with their LiPO charger on NiMH mode?
- At what voltage should this pack be left for storage - I've read that NiMH cells should be left at .9v per cell. If the radio has a 4.3 volt alarm to shut off then how do you get down to the storage voltage?
Also, how much life will be lost if the pack is left with usable voltage for long periods of time?

The LiPO pack is the better option, particularly since charging shuts down at full charge. Bit expensive - that's all.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
A lipo is the best thing you can buy for these radios. You will never worry about the battery again and fly for days without charging (not days between charging but actually FLYING for days without charging).

HK has a Dx8/7S 4K lipo for $18.

I haven't worried about my battery in a year. I think I worried every day about the NiMH battery. It was like watching the gas gage on a big block muscle car.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Last edited by UNGN; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM.