Quote:
Originally Posted by abinder View Post
A much better radio?
Yes
Quote:
Do you really need 30 model memory?
Never know
Quote:

Does the DX8 have a "Throttle-Activated Timer Setting"? (the DX7s does)
Yes with different options of throttle activation.
Quote:
Is the DX8 compatible with LiPo batteries? (I know the DX7s is.)
Yes
Quote:
Do you really use 3 stunt/flight modes? (the DX7s has 2)
Yes and Flaps and tripple rates. Many like to have a normal, mid or takeoff and Land position for their flaps.
Quote:
How many people actually use 8 channels?
You would be surprised how many people actual want more
Quote:
The only kind of nice thing that I see about the DX8 is the backlit display. (I don't plan on flying in poor light/darkness so that really isn't an issue.)Allen
Still very nice to have it. It's one of those things that once you have it you will always want it. Makes a big difference when programming inside your home where lighting may not be as good as daylight.

PS: Here's the thing with lots of channels, it doesn't mean you are controlling all of them with the sticks or switches, many are control via mixes. My plane X flew very nicely on my DX6i but when I upgrade to my DX8 and installed my AR8000 in that very same plane the receiver (8ch) is now full. Why? Well because now I could remove the Y harness for the gear channel and program a mix that not only gives me two gear channel but one is on delay making retracking the gears pretty nice with the delay, kinda more scale. I was also able to replace the steering nose gear attached to the rudder and connect it to its own servo so now I can easily adjust the nose gear apart from the rudder and the best out of doing it this way is now that the gear is retracted I have it program where the steering is disabled.

If I had more I could do more. You have to remember one thing very important, it's not always about the extra channels but very often about what extras a radio with more channels can and will offer to you.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Mar 09, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinder View Post
A much better radio? Do you really need 30 model memory?

Does the DX8 have a "Throttle-Activated Timer Setting"? (the DX7s does)

Is the DX8 compatible with LiPo batteries? (I know the DX7s is.)

Do you really use 3 stunt/flight modes? (the DX7s has 2)

How many people actually use 8 channels?

The only kind of nice thing that I see about the DX8 is the backlit display. (I don't plan on flying in poor light/darkness so that really isn't an issue.)

Allen

I think Freechip answered ALL the pertinent questions very nicely. I'd just like to add one more thing.
With the current offering from Spektrum exclusive to the DX8(two receiver purchase), you can have a DX8 for the same money as a DX7s!

Wouldn't you rather drive a Camry for the same money as a Corolla? Its a no brainer.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
... With the current offering from Spektrum exclusive to the DX8(two receiver purchase), you can have a DX8 for the same money as a DX7s! ... .
+1 Very true and forgot about that one.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
Apprentice 15e
United States, PA, Murrysville
Joined Nov 2011
56 Posts
Ladies, and Menfolk!

After seeing Andy's msg about this being a fantastic time to buy DX8, cause it comes with two extra receivers; I called LHS.

They happened to have one, so I asked them to keep aside and picked it up in the evening!! The best part is, on Thursdays' they have 10% off of any item of buyer's choice. So, clearly, I got on this. She was really hesitant to give extra 10 off of her already low price (much cheaper than online!), but she did.

Now, I have got big fat manual to read, before I can use the radio.

Thanks every one. Will keep posting.
Apprentice15e is offline Find More Posts by Apprentice15e
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
the radio is fairly easy to use - easier than my Dx6i - love my 8
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
Coupla queries, second one perhaps for Andy:

1. Has anyone tried the Hobbyking Backlight kit on the DX7s or DX7??

2. Can you DIS-charge the NiMH batt through the charge socket or is there a diode in the way?

Thanks all
AyrtonS is offline Find More Posts by AyrtonS
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
702 Posts
It's now a three RX

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m1000-SPM8800C

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I think Freechip answered ALL the pertinent questions very nicely. I'd just like to add one more thing.
With the current offering from Spektrum exclusive to the DX8(two receiver purchase), you can have a DX8 for the same money as a DX7s!

Wouldn't you rather drive a Camry for the same money as a Corolla? Its a no brainer.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrtonS View Post
Coupla queries, second one perhaps for Andy:

1. Has anyone tried the Hobbyking Backlight kit on the DX7s or DX7??

2. Can you DIS-charge the NiMH batt through the charge socket or is there a diode in the way?

Thanks all
#2 - There's a whole BATTERY CHARGER in the way! No, you cannot do that.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
67 Posts
Picked up the optional Spektrum LiPo battery pack for my DX7s yesterday. I'm loving the fact that it automatically stops being charged when it's 'full'; no more having to worry about overcharging the transmitter battery. The extra 'run time' of the transmitter is going to be great also.

Allen
abinder is offline Find More Posts by abinder
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Hey andy, I think I've found an error in the manual. In the trouble shooting guide, where it says throttle channel is reversed for the possible cause, it says to move away from large metal objects (vehicles etc) as it solution. Other than that tiny quibble, everything is working great so far! I think I may pick up a Lipoly pack, so I don't have to charge as much.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Radian Pro Program for DX7s

After a couple of hours of fiddling with my new DX7s--without success in getting crow working along with reflex and camber--I gave Horizon a call to get their thoughts on programming the DX7s for the Radian Pro. Coincidentally, someone there had just spent a couple of hours figuring out how to get the programming right (I don't feel so bad now that I know that it's a bit tough even for a service tech).

Anyway, here is the program for the Radian Pro on DX7s--thanks Horizon!

Maybe doing a post mortem on this can help others with this somewhat arcane programming . . . with the RP or other models.

Happy Flying

I just had a thought; I think (although it's been 6 months) that I may have removed the y cable from my ailerons to get my PNP Radian Pro to work optimally with the DX6i--if this is so, perhaps this is why this mix is not working wiht my DX7s. It's too late to figure out tonight and tomorrow I'll be traveling--mabybe somebody here with a better handle on the ins and outs of programming can take a crack at diagnosing it?

Best,
AeroHeadTW
AeroHeadTW is online now Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cleared for Takeoff
United States, TX, Euless
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Here is a different idea. With the capability to import/export models couldn't you have an infinite number of model programmings on your computer and load the ones you will need on any given day before you head out? I don't know too many people that take more than 20 models to the field at one time.
tangocharlie is offline Find More Posts by tangocharlie
Last edited by tangocharlie; Mar 14, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edited model memory number
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Your idea is not different. People want more so they don't have to bind or rebind all the time when model memory is full.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
Cleared for Takeoff
United States, TX, Euless
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Very true! I can see where binding would be a pain. I didn't figure it was different. :-)
tangocharlie is offline Find More Posts by tangocharlie
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Dx7s Programming for Radian Pro

Hi all,

I wasn't able to debug what was happening with the mix from Horizon I posted above; so I made my own:

AeroHeadTW’s Radian Pro Mix for the DX7s

I'm fairly new to gliders, so I’m sure you fellows out there can improve on my mix or perhaps someone can get the mix from Horizon running (perhaps it uses a 7 channel rx with flaps not on a Y-cable?).

AeroHeadTW Radian Setup
Rx is AR600
Right aileron is plugged into Ail on rx
Left aileron is plugged into Aux 1 on rx
Flaps on Y-Cable plugged into Gear on rx (setup this way on a 6 channel rx, I think you can't get full trailing edge with flaps following ailerons--but my mix for the ar600 does have reflex, camber, 2 x flaps and crow/spoiler.)

DX7s PROGRAMMING
Model Type: Acro
Wing: 2 ail, 1 flap (not 2 flap because of y cable)
Tail: normal

SERVO SETUP:
TRAVEL: I might still tweak a figure here for one of the servos . . .
Sub Trim: Left Ail 50+ (the arm on the left aileron servo was at a different angle than the right—yours will likely be different—I didn’t want to undo the servo tape or cut wing foam to get to the arm screw)

REVERSE: Right Ail, Elevator, Rudder, Flap, Left Aileron & Aux 2

D/R-EXPO:
Set for throws in manual (or quite a bit higher ; ) —activated by Rudd D/R switch)

FLAP SYSTEM:
. . . . . . . .Flap . Elev
Norm . . .0 . . . . 0
Mid . . . .50 . . . 11
Land . .100 . . . 22
Speed: 1.4s Switch: Flap

MIXING:
Ail > Rud Mix (I don’t use this much as I like hammerheads)
Right -40%, Left -40%, Switch: Mix 1

Mix 1 (Ailerons up for Crow)
Ail > Lal: 100%, 100%, Offset: -65%, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 2 (Make R ail move during crow)
Ail > Ral: 125% (set to compensate for some asymmetry—yours will likely be different), 100%, Offset: 0, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 3 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on ailerons)
Knb > Lal: -32%, -32%, Switch FM1

Mix 4 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on flaps)
Knb > Flp, 11%, 16%, Switch FM1

One big caveat; I haven't flow this mix yet, but it seems great on the ground.

I might need to add some elevator compensation to the reflex/camber knob.

Horizon/Spektrum/Parkzone hopes to post an approved mix to DX7s Airware soon.

EDITS/UPDATES
I had a chance to fly the RP yesterday. It was a bit gusty so I couldn't tell if everything was fine tuned yet; but I did find that I needed to adjust my elevator compensation for flaps. Mid/50% flaps elev comp should be closer to 22% to avoid ballooning and full flaps maybe around 26% (I tried higher value but it really dove). Anyway, flights were good except that on a gusty landing I must have snagged a aileron servo arm on rhe ground and stripped the servo (left it with sort of half crow); I didn't really have much time to test the reflex and camber.
AeroHeadTW is online now Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM.