SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I personally like it so I don't bump the throttle on my planes until I get them on the groud, or throw them.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Servos Reversed

I am hoping to get some help from you guys with some servo issues. I recently purchased the DX7s with the AR8000 receiver. I have installed the receiver into the FMS/Airfield P-51 Mustang V6. It was an ARF version when purchased.

When everything was bound, my ailerons and my elevators were backwards. Looking from the back of the plane (just to clarify), when I moved the stick right, the right aileron actually went down and the left aileron went up. When I moved the elevator stick down, the elevator goes up.

The rudder, throttle, flaps, landing gear (retracts) all worked correctly from the start. It was just the ailerons and elevator that were backwards.

Has anyone else found this? I have corrected it by simply "reversing" the servos in the servo setup screen. Is this really the best way to fix it or is there something obvious that I am missing?
indyjon is offline Find More Posts by indyjon
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
You either do it as you did (that's why we put that screen there) or you have to use the opposite side of the servo arms.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Servo reversing is a normal part of setting up a new plane and or radio.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Andy/Freechip -

Thanks for the quick response! I have flown RTF's in the past, T-28 and Super Cub, so I had not encountered this before, ie the programming aspect, and wanted to be sure.

Thanks again for your input. It's really appreciated.

Jon
indyjon is offline Find More Posts by indyjon
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,114 Posts
What I like about the DX7s is the servo slow down for flaps and if you do the mod you can even do it to all channels like the DX8
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
southern oregon
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
New DX7S radio..........

Mr. Kunz, with all due respect to your company and the wonderful radios you produce, why can't you find someone who can write a programming manual that is easy to decipher ? The first thing I noticed about the radio is the roller knob needs to be severely knurled or something, maybe a rubber surface so it can be moved without changing the program when it clicks down while you are trying to turn it.
Then the book makes no mention of the box in the upper right hand corner of the screen that shows LIST or LIST in a black background. No explaination for the difference of the color. Off, or On ? What ?
Apparently if you accidently set the acro type to Heli with the defunct roller knob, you cannot go back to the acro mode for a winged aircraft. There must be a way obviously, but not readily seen in the manual.
Which of the wing programs is a polyhedral wing without ailerons? It would really be nice if someone would take a look at the manual and see if it could be written in a step by step procedure so it could easily be understood.
There were modelers on the web that produced a downloadable procedure to take the average modeler through the process of using the program in the radio on the 9303, and it was much better than the two books that were written by some one at Horizon.
Is there a way to increase the pressure on the roller knob so it will work properly as intended ? Does any private vender make an upgrade
for this? I'm a machinest and welding fabricator and I still don't understand the manufacturing of a product that still have problems.
Obviously as you may guess, this radio certainly is not as easy to use as the original DX7 regardless of all it's features. Here's hoping you can improve your next generation of either radios or manual editors. Respectfully, Randy Shaw
Randy Shaw is online now Find More Posts by Randy Shaw
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Shaw View Post
... The first thing I noticed about the radio is the roller knob needs to be severely knurled or something, maybe a rubber surface so it can be moved without changing the program when it clicks down while you are trying to turn it....
The DX18 will have rubber roller menu button As for the roller button itself if you play with it a little you will notice that the click action is position only at one end of the roller. If you roll near that end it easy or takes less presure to click it but if you try to roll near the other end it take more force to press down on it and click. Making rolling a breeze.

PS: This tip applies to all spektrum radios with roller menu button.

Quote:
... Apparently if you accidently set the acro type to Heli with the defunct roller knob, you cannot go back to the acro mode for a winged aircraft. There must be a way obviously, but not readily seen in the manual. ...
In order to change from ACRO to Heli you must first access the system menu (multiple steps required) then access model type, then scroll to heli click and confirm change. Not sure how you can perform all these steps accidently BUT if you do all you have to do is go back to model type and change it back to ACRO..

Quote:
... I'm a machinest and welding fabricator and I still don't understand the manufacturing of a product that still have problems. ...
There are a lot of members who because of there proffession comment on the product and give their advise on how it should be BUT it's ok you're not alone at not understanding they to do not understand. I too don't understand why they do certain things certain ways and I don't work in any field related to the products I play with.

You should really try the roller button tip I suggested, it really makes a difference.

Quote:
Which of the wing programs is a polyhedral wing without ailerons?
Main wing without aileron then you don't need to make any changes to the wing type menu. You don't need to plug any servo in the aileron channel also. If you just want a menu option that says NO AILERON, then you can easily request that option to be put on the list of possible updates for future airware updates.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
why can't you find someone who can write a programming manual that is easy to decipher ?
Just like radio & tv manual that tell you how to change the bass-mid-treble tones or how to change the color settings on you TV the manuals won't tell you what setting to put it so you get a picture or sound quality you like.

The same is done for our transmitter radios, the manual tells you what the TX can do and or how to access those feature but they won't tell you how to use them and why to use them. People don't normaly read them anyways they rather simply post asking here a more direct question to get a direct reponse.

How do I change this? People here answer. There is a third party that wrote a book for the DX8 and with its many Airware updates they even have a newer version of the book. After reading the OEM manual and sitting down with the book and radio and trying out every single options even if I may never use some of them. I found I wasted my money on that other book BUT that's me.

If you like I still have that book (version one) and I would gladly mail it to you if you like free of charge. Just PM me for more information.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
Quote:
Mr. Kunz, with all due respect to your company and the wonderful radios you produce, why can't you find someone who can write a programming manual that is easy to decipher ?
We are always working to improve all our products, manuals included.

Quote:
Which of the wing programs is a polyhedral wing without ailerons?
Use Normal wing. You can then plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel and have both controls on the same stick. That's what most folks do. Just remember that all references to aileron by the radio would actually be to the rudder servo then.

Quote:
Is there a way to increase the pressure on the roller knob so it will work properly as intended ? Does any private vender make an upgrade
for this? I'm a machinest and welding fabricator and I still don't understand the manufacturing of a product that still have problems.
As Freechip noted, pressing the roller in the right area will make the pressure appropriate and extend the life of the roller.

There's a company (I'm sure somebody else will volunteer the name) which makes aftermarket machined parts for our radios. I don't know if they're doing anything for the DX7s/DX8 yet.

Thank you for the feedback, Randy. We really try hard to listen, and letters such as this one are especially easy to listen to. Thanks!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
There's a company (I'm sure somebody else will volunteer the name) which makes aftermarket machined parts for our radios.
http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...30526898.24006
If the DX8/DX7s roller is the same as the DX6i ..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I've found the manuals from ALL the major manufacturers to be very poorly written and alot of details left out. Spektrum is probably one of the better wrtiten manuals if that means anything. (the tallest midget, so to speak)
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I've found the manuals from ALL the major manufacturers to be very poorly written and alot of details left out. Spektrum is probably one of the better wrtiten manuals if that means anything. (the tallest midget, so to speak)
There is not that much to binding, I doubt they left anything out from there manuals on BINDING but understand completly what you are saying.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
New DX7s successfully converted to Mode 1 (a Non-Trivial Task BTW and the manual isn't too great on this), successfully bound to my new BNF Sukhoi 26M, inadvertent throttle override programmed out (still don't know how that got there), all rates and expos added successfully, maiden flight on Monday last (for radio and plane) - 1st flight Cuban 8s, 10 laps inverted, stall turns, all the usual (still can't do knife edge ) - all in all, hugely successful! Very happy with the Tx. Many thanks Andy and for help rec'd here & from others!!

If anyone needs help with the conversion let me know.

P.S. has anyone tried the Hobby King backlight kit on this or the DX7??
AyrtonS is offline Find More Posts by AyrtonS