HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that the DX7s's built -in charger will peak charge the optional LiPo Tx battery but not peak the NiMH Tx battery - i.e. it continuously trickle charges the stock 2000 mAh NiMH?

As the mains power-supply unit is rated at 500 mA, this would seem to be a bit of an issue if so?
AyrtonS is offline Find More Posts by AyrtonS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
The radio/charger will stop charging when LIPO is fully charged, it will NOT stop charging when the NiMh is full.

Power supply is should always be able to deliver more then what is need in order to ensure it's not over worked.

The radio/charger only deliver 200mah and why it takes for ever to reach full charge on the 4000mah lipo.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Sep 2007
37 Posts
Should I upgrade form the Dx6i

Hey guys,

I have been using the Dx6i for about 4 years now without any issues what so ever. While I have had to do some advanced mixing to get features like 2 position flaps, it has served me well. That being said, I recently received a gift card for my birthday and was thinking of applying it towards a new DX7s. However, looking at the specs, I don't see anything that really "wows" me. Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade? If so, do you mind telling me why?
carl221 is offline Find More Posts by carl221
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
If your DX6i is working for you stick with it. That being said, you can probably get $120-$140 for your DX6i in the classified and be into a DX7s for $100+ or so.

DX7s is a much nicer radio IMHO, feel and looks wise. Doesn't have that cheap DX6i feel. The gimbals are REAL gimbals with quad bearings, not like the crap thats on the DX6i.

The DX6i feels cheap like the DX5e..........the DX7s feels much more substantial like a DX8.

If you don't need or want the additional mixing and features why switch?
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl221 View Post
... I don't see anything that really "wows" me. Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade? If so, do you mind telling me why?
The only person in a position to tell you if it's worth it is yourself.

The reason why one upgrades radio most of the time is because he needs to to fill a need to more mixing options and or channels or both.

If the Dx6i still fills your needs then use you gift card towards more plane to fly on your Dx6i.

Maybe when you do have a need to upgrade there will be something better out there for you.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Sep 2007
37 Posts
That's exactly what I planned on doing. After all was said and done, I would end up spending around $80 out of pocket in order to upgrade from the DX6i to the DX7s. This low price is what really peaked my interest. However, I just couldn't figure out what I would be getting for the $80 other than a "better feeling radio" as you mentioned. That to me just isn't enough to justify the expense.

I guess I will just end up sticking with the DX6i.
Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
If your DX6i is working for you stick with it. That being said, you can probably get $120-$140 for your DX6i in the classified and be into a DX7s for $100+ or so.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
if only 80$ difference then for me it would, the extra mixing capability and the use of telemetry would more then make up for it...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Sep 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
if only 80$ difference then for me it would, the extra mixing capability and the use of telemetry would more then make up for it...
I'm hearing that a lot of guys don't even use the telemetry feature since it requires you to take your eyes off your model and look at the radio. That seems a little dangerous to me. Am I over analyzing?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,071 Posts
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM7800
Check out the capabilities over the 6i Carl. I have the DX8 but the 7S has many of the same capabilities. I use the telemetry when testing out a new plane for batt voltage and motor temp, then take it out. The ability to update through the computer, bigger screen many wing types. They never did fix the elevon problem with the 6i. Other features like the timer that works with throttle. Give it a go with the 7s. You won't be dissapointed.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
I'm hearing that a lot of guys don't even use the telemetry feature since it requires you to take your eyes off your model and look at the radio. That seems a little dangerous to me. Am I over analyzing?
Telemetry on the Dx7s requires the TM1000 module and sensors which is more money.

We all flew without telemetry data for many years, not that big of a draw for me, but to each their own.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
Quote:
.... That seems a little dangerous to me. Am I over analyzing?
You don't have to look at it to take advantage of it. Setting up alarms is a great tool and you don't have to look at it until you land.

To each is own I guess. I just mentioned it as is something you get with those radios over the DX6i. If you see it as a selling or not is up to you.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Sep 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
You don't have to look at it to take advantage of it. Setting up alarms is a great tool and you don't have to look at it until you land.

To each is own I guess. I just mentioned it as is something you get with those radios over the DX6i. If you see it as a selling or not is up to you.
I really appreciate the feedback. Since I am trying to make a decision, I appreciate all views. Your point was valid.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Telemetry is like a car accident..........you say you're not going to look when you drive by, but you do! LOL.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Another advantage is a switch for throttle hold, rather than a button.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
Button on DX6i is a throttle cut, being momentary it's perfect to kill an IC engine on a aircraft.

Just something different the DX6i was designed for but people trying to adapt it for other use may make it seem like its not how it should of been or make you think a toggle switch would be better.

It's not really an advantage the 7 has rather a different option/feature.

You can program the 7s and 8 to use the trainer button for other use if you still need a momentary push button for throttle kill just like the DX6i