HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:59 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
cell phone company= cell phone service provider. "cell phone companies" like AT&T, verizon, sprint, etc do not manufature cell phones. You wouldnt call the people that manufacture the phones "cell phone companies". motorola, sony, samsung, LG, etc are all much more than cell phone makers.....
Really? I guess you don't know they've got special divisions (which are usually part of the same corporate entity) for their cell phone manufacturing and as such THOSE are parts of those companies that will take hits or make profits depending on the sales of cell phones.

It's really utterly irrelevant that many of those companies make different things than just cell phones alone. Besides, that really wasn't the point at all.

I apologize for misreading or reading into your words earlier and which caused this, but I really thought you were suggesting cell phone manufacturers wouldn't get their money in exchange for some kind of monthly contract deal the cell phone providers actually deal with.

Anyhow, lets proceed with the Spektrum DX7s discussion instead please.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
i guess we have pretty well run out of stuff to talk about till someone actualy gets one in hand.... Im still trying to decide if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from my DX7 of if I should just save for a DX8....
I'd say the extra channel, the backlit screen and the more flight modes would somewhat make up for the higher price.

But you can get an Aurora 9 for the price of a DX8, which really is a far far better radio.

It's just too bad the receivers are pretty expensive.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2002
35 Posts
can you assign ele,ail and rudder dual rates on any single switch on DX7s or DX8?
happybird is offline Find More Posts by happybird
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,308 Posts
Yes, When setting the D/R on the DX8 you can just assign it to the same switch.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2002
35 Posts
what about the dx7s
happybird is offline Find More Posts by happybird
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Same capability in the DX7s.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
You can read the manual.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:33 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I'd say the extra channel, the backlit screen and the more flight modes would somewhat make up for the higher price.

But you can get an Aurora 9 for the price of a DX8, which really is a far far better radio.

It's just too bad the receivers are pretty expensive.
Hitecs much too late entry isnt even an option for me. I used to be a hitec loyal, and I waited several years while they promised their 2.4ghz radio was "coming soon!!", and even then I had my spektrum radio for 2 years before the A9 came out, then to top it off, they kept the module system, but without one major advantage of the module system, which is being able to use the modules from your old radio in your new one.... Much too little too late... If that weren't enough, there is bind-n-fly..... No, I would say spektrum is a much better radio for me....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:47 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Hitecs much too late entry isnt even an option for me. I used to be a hitec loyal, and I waited several years while they promised their 2.4ghz radio was "coming soon!!", and even then I had my spektrum radio for 2 years before the A9 came out, then to top it off, they kept the module system, but without one major advantage of the module system, which is being able to use the modules from your old radio in your new one.... Much too little too late... If that weren't enough, there is bind-n-fly..... No, I would say spektrum is a much better radio for me....
Good for you and I totally respect your preference for sure.

Their Spectra 2.4Ghz module will fit most older Hitec module based transmitters though so you can enjoy 2.4Ghz AFHSS with your old transmitters as well.

Many companies would force you to buy a new transmitter, but that's where the module system comes in. In fact, this is the way module based transmitters tend to work. You keep the radio, but upgrade the module until the company comes with a new generation of technology.

Why would anyone want to use their old 72Mhz module (old gen) in a new 2.4Ghz transmitter basically the other way around??? Would be a somewhat strange kind of backwards compatibility when 2.4Ghz is supposed to be the better technology and the big step forward.

Apart from that the Aurora 9 comes with telemetry and uses adaptive frequency hopping and the boosted Omni-Directional Antenna system which all together is about a hundred times more reliable than any Spektrum receiver currently on the market.

The A9 also comes with all kinds of very neat features none of the Spektrum radios currently have and is by far the most intuitive radio I know off. It pretty much reigns supreme as far as programmability goes. You can even program in stick reversed inverted into the radio!

But perhaps I'm missing your point here completely.

If I'd have to choose between a DX8 or A9 which cost about the same, I'd definitely take the A9. Feels a lot better too.

The bind-n-fly of Spektrum is cool though and the cheaper receivers are neat (Orange clones included), but I'm not able to trust Spektrum anymore based on my own experience with their receivers.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Good for you and I totally respect your preference for sure.

Their Spectra 2.4Ghz module will fit most older Hitec module based transmitters though so you can enjoy 2.4Ghz AFHSS with your old transmitters as well.

Many companies would force you to buy a new transmitter, but that's where the module system comes in. In fact, this is the way module based transmitters tend to work. You keep the radio, but upgrade the module until the company comes with a new generation of technology.
Thats my point exactly, the whole point of the module based system is so that you dont have to upgrade the radio and module at the same time, you can, in theory, save a little money and get a new radio without a module and use your old module, which is what I did when I upgraded from a prism 7 to an optic 6, saving around $40 by getting the radio with no module, since I already had a spektra 72mhz module, and what I had planned to do when their new awesome radio came out.... glad I didnt wait for that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Why would anyone want to use their old 72Mhz module (old gen) in a new 2.4Ghz transmitter basically the other way around??? Would be a somewhat strange kind of backwards compatibility when 2.4Ghz is supposed to be the better technology and the big step forward.

But perhaps I'm missing your point here completely.
Yea, why would a company make a new blue-ray player compatible with "old tech" dvd's and "gasp" audio CD's... lets look forward people, never backward, there is a reason we upgraded to blue-ray, and it isnt so we can take a step back to inferior technology.... blue-ray is so much better, there is no point in making the player compatible with the millions of DVD's out there, right? Silly? Yep...
I was more thinking about people who had, for example, a spektrum 2.4ghz module in their optic 6, and/or a spektra 72hmz module because they still had tons of 72mhz receivers.... neither of which work in the new "module based radio"... go figure.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
If I'd have to choose between a DX8 or A9 which cost about the same, I'd definitely take the A9. Feels a lot better too.

The bind-n-fly of Spektrum is cool though and the cheaper receivers are neat (Orange clones included), but I'm not able to trust Spektrum anymore based on my own experience with their receivers.
Honestly how easy would it have been for them to make the new radio backward compatible with the old modules? they were able to make the new modules backward compatible with the old radios, all they did was shoot themselves in the foot because someone like me who is heavily invested with spektrum doesn't even consider the A9, since it doesn't work with spektrum modules.... I cant imagine why they did that other than to make a few extra bucks forcing everyone to buy new modules..... "hey guys, here is a new module based radio.... of course, it doesn't work with existing modules, only new ones, and only ours... give us money!" Ill pass on that logic, thanks, no matter how cool the touch screen is....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:31 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Yea, why would a company make a new blue-ray player compatible with "old tech" dvd's and "gasp" audio CD's... lets look forward people, never backward, there is a reason we upgraded to blue-ray, and it isnt so we can take a step back to inferior technology....
That makes perfect sense, until you wish to put a tape (from a tape recorder) into a CD player. Or better yet, put a CD into a tape recorder.

Hitec however allows you to upgrade your old tape recorder to be compatible with CDs through the module system. Don't want to listen to CDs no more? Swap back the old module in.

That's about how it works, but I'll admit there's a backwards compatibility issue indeed as far as a combined compatibility goes.

But until the age of the latest computer radios with downloadable firmware updates, this is a problem many many other brands have.

Quote:
I cant imagine why they did that other than to make a few extra bucks forcing everyone to buy new modules..... "hey guys, here is a new module based radio.... of course, it doesn't work with existing modules, only new ones, and only ours... give us money!" Ill pass on that logic, thanks, no matter how cool the touch screen is....
There is hardly any cross-brand compatibility in modern radio land though, even the bind-n-fly you seem to praise still means you'll need a radio that works with Spektrum. Why can't companies make receivers that work with any radio? Why can't cars run on any fuel we choose?

To be honest, I'm not sure where you were going with that line of reasoning. It is what it is.

Obviously, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But I tend to focus much more on what the new radio would bring to the table. I never sell my old radios and I still use some of them, so I'm probably less concerned with the whole compatibility thing of using just one transmitter for all my models.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,328 Posts
Well, I was considering waiting to for the new DX7 with telemetry to come out so I scouted out the Spectrum threads for about two months. Most of the Spectrum guys who write in seem to &itch a lot. Kind of turned me off. I bought an Aurora 9 instead. I gotta respect those guys on this thread defending the Spectrum. You certainly have your hands full. Giving up bind n fly seemed hard at the time, but I got over it. Who would have thought engineering toys would be so challenging.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:16 AM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,581 Posts
Give up Bind n Fly?
You will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers !!
Really - I have two, DX8's and a DXi6 all work like clockwork and I can use any of em for all of my models no matter how large or small.
Others may have problems - I don't
here is a big model and a small one
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:46 AM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Well, I was considering waiting to for the new DX7 with telemetry to come out so I scouted out the Spectrum threads for about two months. Most of the Spectrum guys who write in seem to &itch a lot. Kind of turned me off. I bought an Aurora 9 instead. I gotta respect those guys on this thread defending the Spectrum. You certainly have your hands full. Giving up bind n fly seemed hard at the time, but I got over it. Who would have thought engineering toys would be so challenging.
Its funny, I have been saying all along that "Victory Pete" is a "plant by Hitec/Futaba/Airtronics companies". I've been halfhearted joking about it, but it does turn people off.

The Hitec and Futaba threads are tame by comparison! LOL. Everybody(well mostly) are happy over on those threads!
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:03 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
I think VP is busy using his electrician's license fixing stuff in hard-hit Rhode Island. Hope he's OK!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Spectrum dx7 like new bhood Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 14 May 03, 2011 07:51 AM
Sold Spectrum DX7 Like new, Airplane, Mode 2... Joe in Dublin Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Apr 06, 2011 08:37 PM
Discussion New Spectrum DX8 Registration iwchris Radios 6 Mar 31, 2011 02:10 PM
Sold Brand New DX7s Air Mode 2 190.00 shipped Pri Mail rino Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Dec 22, 2009 11:26 PM
Question Speculation on new Dx7s? spython Radios 1 Oct 01, 2008 08:34 AM