Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
Discussion
New Spektrum DX7S.........

WOW! look what was released today

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...1-9519-15.html

yes a brand new DX7S

Overview

Spektrum believes you should expect more from a 7-channel transmitter and the DX7s is proof. Besides advanced DSM2/DSMX technology and an impressive list of programming features, it boasts the finest ergonomics in its class. Its balanced weight, silky smooth quad-bearing gimbals and rubber grips provide a sense of comfort and precision that is second to none. The DX7 also features the situational awareness of built-in telemetry, the intuitive SimpleScroll programming interface and the clarity of a large LCD screen. And you'll always be up-to-date with the latest Spektrum AirWare software thanks to the SD card Spektrum Data Interface.

Features

<20 Model Memory
Built-In Telemetry
Extensive Airplane and Helicopter Programming
Throttle-Activated Timer Setting
AR8000 High Speed 8 Channel Receiver
LiPo Battery Compatibility

looking forward to this one as i need a new Radio this year and have been very happy with my old DX7

wonder how much it is going to be?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; May 05, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 11:48 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
I bought a used DX6i because I was wondering what the next DX7 would look like.

This is looking better than I expected.

If I had not decided to get into sailplanes and pick up a used JR 9303, I'd be impatiently waiting for more info on this...
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Old May 04, 2011, 11:59 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
I just bought a brand new DX6i...... just my luck cause this looks awesome. And to cap it off it probably wont be that more expensive then what I just paid!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old May 05, 2011, 12:25 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,958 Posts
Awesome!!! I guess its finaly time to replace my 4 year old DX7... dissapointed it only has two flight modes though....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 05, 2011, 01:02 AM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,473 Posts
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM7800
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old May 05, 2011, 02:45 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
The only ? I have is WHY????????????????? You have a 6 ch., a new 8 ch. What good does a new 7 ch. really do? They should have made & released a 10 ch. & I'm not talking the tray 10 ch.

I guess It's just the price point that the 7 ch. will be/lie in & the DX7 was such a good seller. At least one ch. is a dial.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Last edited by ColoradoHeliNut; May 05, 2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 06:28 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
The only ? I have is WHY????????????????? You have a 6 ch., a new 8 ch. What good does a new 7 ch. really do? They should have made & released a 10 ch. & I'm not talking the tray 10 ch.

I guess It's just the price point that the 7 ch. will be/lie in & the DX7 was such a good seller. At least one ch. is a dial.
Why, to snipe sales from their competitors by offering a product that may not be as good as an 8FG or an A9, but at its price point it may draw potential switchers/new users away to Spektrum.

I hope they follow this up with more programming features for the DX8, like a glider mode.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old May 05, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Looks awesome. Shame they I can't afford $300 transmitters. I'll have to stick to my DX5e for now.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old May 05, 2011, 08:43 AM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
For $50 more you can upgrade to a DX8 if your willing to live w/out the RX. In the long run that's probably the better purchase.

As is, the DX7 listed comes with an 8 channel RX (really, Horizon?), and that's currently the only purchase option. Frustrating to those who already have plenty of 7 channel RX's sitting around. It also has only a 20 model memory, which in these days of cheap data storage, means Horizon is just sand baging the tech so it doesn't bump up against the DX8.

I think their R/D money would have been better spent making a DX6s instead.

Only thing I can think of is they are going after heli pilots, who generally don't need the same number of channels as fixed wing, but do require advanced programing options. Maybe DX8 sales are slow as well (stiff competition from the Aurora 9, and a rough launch taking their tole?), and they're trying to spread R&D

To each their own, but if I sold my DX6i today, that cash is going toward a DX8
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old May 05, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,757 Posts
For why it was replaced, go back a few weeks and read all the complaints about the discontinuation of the DX7, and the alleged gaping hole in the their lineup.

I suppose you could ask why they have so many 6 channel receivers - 9ish? It was the huge number of receivers that they offer that convinced me that a popular sized hole in their transmitter lineup probably wouldn't be left unfilled for long.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old May 05, 2011, 10:50 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Can you backup and transfer model settings with the SD Card interface? This makes sense since the DX7 was a solid design that was very popular.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Last edited by 7rider; May 05, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
This makes sense since the DX7 was a solid design that was very popular.
It did but now its looks like its based on the DX8 and its programming and its not without issues so????? Hope they got it all figure out otherwise they wil lhave 2 radios with issues.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
The DX7S has the same SD capabilities as the DX8, but you cannot swap files between 7S and 8.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2011, 11:22 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,965 Posts
I do feel like the Dx7 fills a slot. I bought the previous Dx7 because I needed more than 10 models of memory, but not the 30 (if memory serves) that the Dx8 had, and it was only about $50 more than the Dx6 without the Rx . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old May 05, 2011, 11:56 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
It is a good fit for heli pilots. Cheaper than the 8 and still has most of the same programming features. Most heli pilots only use 7 channels anyway. Bert Kammerer posted a pic of his on Facebook earlier today.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri