Old May 04, 2011, 07:21 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,845 Posts
Question
Blade 120 SR or CB180Q?

Hey everyone.

So I've finally decided to take the plunge and get an FP heli. Nothing major, just something to tool around the local park with and enjoy on the warm, sunny, wind-less California afternoons. I've heard great things about both of these helis, but it's time to decide and I'd like to be convinced one way or the other.

I like the 120 SR's local parts support and I hear it's very tough. But it's a bit on the small size. That's why I'm thinking about the CB180Q. Bigger, and the full fuse sure is nice. I hear Walkera's come a long way in electronics quality, but non-local parts support is a worry and the fact that I've never actually owned one of their products is a concern too.

So, push me one direction or the other! If you were just looking for an inexpensive FP heli to tool around the park with, which direction would you go and why?

Thanks in advance!
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 07:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You should read the CB180Q thread. I think you will find it is a poor choice, but you can make up your own mind. I don't know where you would have heard great things about it. I don't know how much experience you have, but a full fuselage is a poor choice for a beginner, especially a Walkera full fuselage. If you aren't a beginner, Banana has a flybarless FP version of the CB180Q that corrects some of the flaws of the original model. I'd buy the 120SR. It's a lot more durable than any of the CB180 versions.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 04, 2011, 11:19 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
120SR. Local parts. Best support in the industry if something happens to be wrong with it (seldom). Straightforward, thorough, accessible design and execution. IMO, will spend much more time in the air than bench compared to Walkera.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 05, 2011, 12:52 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I wouldn't go with a scale fuselage either. If you like the Walkera's, look into a CB180D or CB180Z.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old May 05, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I wouldn't go with a scale fuselage either. If you like the Walkera's, look into a CB180D or CB180Z.
The CB180D has the same design and QC flaws as the CB180Q. If you were intending to buy this type heli, the CB180Z or one of the flybarless versions would be a better choice. The issue with Walkera fuselages is they are not intended to be removed and have no provisions to do so.... it generally requires very delicate planning and cutting and partial heli disassembly.
Old May 05, 2011, 11:04 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
If you're just learning, a basic heli, like the 120SR, is probably your best bet. You'll be crashing a lot while you're learning to fly. They have a pretty good reputation for being stable, durable [that doesn't mean indestructible].
MHO

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old May 05, 2011, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
I have flown my 120 SR dozens of times with a few crashes and have never broken anything yet. I have replaced the main rotor blades after flying indoors and crashing into funiture. The Blade 120 SR is a great FP heli from anyone going from the coaxials or mSR.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 05, 2011, 07:41 PM
Canada, ON, Cornwall
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
I have the CB180D and the Blade 120 SR .Get the Blade 120 SR ,if you hit anything with the CB180D the main blades and tail blades shatter ,they are very brittle.It's a very heavy helicopter if it falls it will break the landing gear.I had to buy a different tail rotor system and upgrade the blades.It is a very nice looking helicopter and comes with a nice remote but is not in the same league as the Blade.Hope this helps your decision.
bill1134 is offline Find More Posts by bill1134
Old May 05, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
If you want to spend your time actually flying, get a blade 120.

The aluminum parts and general mechanical bling of a walkera are great. But the first time you break something you will be waiting for the part to come here on a slow boat from China.
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei
Old May 06, 2011, 01:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Blade 120 SR
jackhei60 is offline Find More Posts by jackhei60
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 06, 2011, 02:17 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Quote:
Get the Blade 120 SR
From frame #8 and he owns both. What more needs to be said?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 06, 2011, 02:41 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
So, push me one direction or the other! If you were just looking for an inexpensive FP heli to tool around the park with, which direction would you go and why?
Going by the above statement, the 120 SR would fit your needs better. It's simple and durable, and there's a lot less set up involved. It's designed to fly with very little effort, in fact it doesn't even offer that much mechanical adjustment.

If you want to explore all possibilities, I would take a look at the Walkera 4#6 Bell. Similar to an 120 SR, but it has a brushless main motor and shaft driven tail with pitch control. If you want something bigger, research the Walkera CB180Z.

There are pros and cons either way. If you want something simple to bash around and not worry about too much, go for the 120 SR. If you prefer the idea of getting more hardware for your money and want better flight performance (and don't mind ordering parts online and having to do more mechanical tinkering), get a Walkera.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old May 06, 2011, 09:48 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I bought the 180Q when it came out because there was always a lot of "competition" to see who would be first to remove a Walkera fuselage without wrecking it and figure out a way to put it back together so it would be removable. This always lead to the need to fabricate some new and replacement parts, so the potential was there for some aftermarket sales, if the model sold well. It didn't, so end of that idea.

Better flight performance from a CB180 than a 120SR? I doubt it. The head design of the MSR scales up very well, the head design of the CB100 does not. So, using the MSR and CB100 as a basis for comparison isn't valid.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:06 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,853 Posts
cb180Q2 robocopter

item on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261510470862...84.m1555.l2649
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:21 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
316 Posts
I've learned to fly on the 120SR, and have about a million crashes. yes I've replaced parts, but it is easy and inexpensive to do so, and actually takes quite a bit to break things. the 120SR also has quite a bit of adjustment for building skill. there is dual rates in the rtf controller, and the swash has long and short balls for enhancing performance. eventually, you can then add an aftermarket swash, like the rakon heli, and make it fly even better.

I've worked mine up to using the most aggressive setting on the rakon heli swash, and actually can fly well in the wind with it that way. I love this helicopter !
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14