HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How would you rate your experience with TREX 450 Clones?
Good experience. Flys just like the TREX 450. 55 79.71%
Bad experience. Ended up spening more money than if I were to buy a TREX 450 to begin with. 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Discussion
TREX 450 Clones - Good or Bad Experience

I'm looking at getting a 450 clone - in particular the one below. I had a discussion with a guy who works at my LHS and he stressed that every person that he's seen buy a clone has ended up spending MORE money upgrading to TREX parts than if they had just bought a legit 450 TREX to begin with.

This poll is to collect pilot's experience with clones (good/bad). Maybe you can also post your reasoning for your answer in this thread as well. If things went well please tell us what setup you have! Thanks!

http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-450-...?cPath=165_223
avengedkevinfold is offline Find More Posts by avengedkevinfold
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I've got to agree with your LHS as I ran into the same problem when folks with clone come to the store for help; especially when they want to fly the same day but don't have the clone parts to fix/repair the helicopter. Further, after a few crashes, they all want to "upgrade" to Align parts.

If you are looking for a 450, there is an ad over at runryder where the guy is asking $450 for a 450Pro. It comes RTF with a DX6i tx. Now that is a good deal.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old May 04, 2011, 07:16 PM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
736 Posts
Probably not spending as much as buying an 'real' Trex if you get a clone. Some of them are pretty good from what I heard. My experience is that you do need to replace a bunch a stuff over time. Very aggravating. So... I just got a Gaui 425 and I will see how it goes. So far it looks good. Quality is much better than the clone. But do I regret getting the clone. Not really because I am more willing to try things when the investment is not that high.... but after a while. Definitely go for the 'real' thing.

My 2 cents.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old May 04, 2011, 07:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I agree with your LHS guy, too. I had two clones that both ended up with 80% Align parts and fasteners. Bought piece-meal, they cost me twice as much as if I would have bought the Align kit to start with. To add insult to injury, because they are technically still clones, they weren't worth crap when I sold them. After all that, I didn't like how they performed, anyway.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 04, 2011, 08:09 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
I'm with the others also, get the real deal, if it's in your budget. You'll be much happier down the road.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old May 04, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Hey, I'm new and last weekend marked my 4th month flying helis. All I know is don't get a E-razor 450. I had a bad expereance with that one. I have a Blueray now and its prettygood. But thats from somebody that has a lot to learn yet. I've replaced the tail gyro and tail servo(gy48, Corrona). It seems good but that because I don't know what really good is yet. I talk to the guys at the local flying field with Trex 450, 500 and 700 and they'er always replacing and upgrading stuff. For me I think the clone is good because first, I didn't know how long I was going to stay in the hobby and scecond, I learn why you need a good???
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old May 04, 2011, 08:32 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
i've had pretty good luck with the EXI 450. i put some decent electronics in it, flies pretty dang good
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old May 04, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
302 Posts
I have an exi 450 pro and a cx 450 v2 both are great sport flyers and worked well right out of the box. On the other hand if you want a bigger heli stick with align. My exi 500 is pretty much all Align and tarot.

So for a 450 I would go with a higher end clone and for anything larger buy align, tarot, or a chaos.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Last edited by ck986; May 04, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck986 View Post
I have an exi 450 pro and a cx 450 v2 both are great sport flyers and worked well rit out of the box. On the other hand if you want a bigger heli stick with align. My exi 500 is pretty much all Align and tarot.

So for a 450 I would go with a hier end clone and for anything larger buy align, tarot, or a chaos.
Why is that? Why is 450 the cut off point?
Old May 04, 2011, 09:35 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
I have two HK-450Pro clones and one HK450 (clone of an older T-Rex 450). One of my Pros has many Align parts because I used the original parts to fix the other Pro. OTOH most of my spares are Align parts and that's how Pro #2 ended up with them. Other than crashes, I've not had bad experience with the 450 clones. The non-pro clone has only stock HK parts - no bad issues with that one either.

I agree about the 450 being the breaking point - my 500 and 600 are Align T-Rexes. Reason - larger helis get stressed more and are less tolerant to imperfections in components - in the meaning of a crash due to a component failure is more costly in larger helis than 450. For example a T-Rex 500ESP can be had for $615. That is all components included minus receiver and battery packs. And those are good quality components with warranty. A HK-500 kit is $100. It just starts adding up from there - blades, motor, ESC, servos, gyro. Yes, you can buy cheap components but is it worth it? Then I read about issues with the HK-500 kit - people who bought them had to change components with ones from Align before they even started assembling the heli. That's where it stops being inexpensive. In that T-Rex 500ESP if you calculate the cost of all components minus the airframe, you'll end up with approximately the same cost as the combo, so the airframe ends up costing $0.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2011, 09:45 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
the poll is not going to be accurate because most people own clones and do not want to admit that they would have been better off with a quality kit. some clones kits may be reliable once critical parts are replaced with align parts, what does that tell you?? you will not find a clone that performs at the level of a genuine brand heli unless it has many parts replaced with align parts. I have a clone that performs fairly well however it is 50% align. all those parts have been replaced because they failed during flight and caused a crash. you honestly don't know what your missing until you put a quality kit together and everything fits and there is zero slop. with that being said a clone heli can be built that provide reliability and decent performance but much more care must be taken when assembling and replacing certain parts. Electronics can also play a key roll, you can expect a crash when using $3 servos and $20 ESC's.

I would like to add that a buddy of mine has a tarot 450 pro and I have been impressed with it's performance.
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
Last edited by RC_Marine; May 04, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:58 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
After reading more previous posts I would second that the blueray was a decent clone. it was my first cp and performed very well until the tail exploded while trying to run 3300 headspeed.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
302 Posts
I don't know why the clone manufacturers can't get 500 and larger heli's right. I am just giving you my perspective. I was an all clone heli buyer, but after my 500 wish I had purchased an Align. I have spent about $450 for my exi/align 500 heli. I replaced all bearings, the entire power train and tail to Align. I purchased an align gyro and cc esc. The cheaper HK electronics just didn't cut it for this size heli. I will say that the mg930's and hk motor have been good to me and are still on my heli.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old May 04, 2011, 11:06 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
In reality clones can be very hit or miss. however they are good for learning on because crashing is inevitable and it's better to crash a clone, then just replace the parts with Align. I gather this is usually the case with clones.
Old May 05, 2011, 12:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Marine View Post
In reality clones can be very hit or miss. however they are good for learning on because crashing is inevitable and it's better to crash a clone, then just replace the parts with Align. I gather this is usually the case with clones.
Thats what I was thinkin. Now, is Align the only good company. Why is everything Align. What about the Mini Titan?or others?