HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Alert
2011 USA F3K Team ROCKS Sweden! (Guitar Thread)

In an effort to send our team to Sweden in style, I have assembled this guitar package to be auctioned off, with all the proceeds going to the 2011 USA F3K Team fund. *(see footnote)

Team Manager Mike Seid has stated he will do all he can to get these funds matched by the corporate matching program he has worked on. Please don't let him forget about this part!

As eBay has a maximum auction time of 10 days, the auction will start on the evening of Thursday May 12th, 2011, and run through to Sunday May 22nd, 2011. I will update this post with a link to the auction when it starts. This will give you about 3 weeks to get some funds together to help our team get to Sweden in style, and have one of the most unique souvenirs of the Inaugural FAI F3K World Championships.

Now, about the items: First and foremost, aside from a few of the accessories, all items are used. I bought the guitar, amp, and gig bag somewhere around 2007, and they were used as my "bedroom" set-up for just short of one year. This is exactly what it sounds like. The items were in my bedroom, and rarely, if ever, made it as far as the living room. Because of this, there is no major damage to any of the items, though all show what could be deemed as "minor wear" which I will describe in detail with the descriptions of each item in the following posts.

The Auction Is Live!!!
Link To F3K guitar package Auction

Ebay wanted ONE size and weight for the items, as if it all fit in one box, which I couldn't do. That's just absurd, and asking for damage. I had to set the auction for local pick up, but don't let that deter you from bidding! If a fellow F3Ker bids and wins, we'll get the guitar, bag, and amp to you, one way or another!

*eBay and PayPal fees will be deducted from the final selling price
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; May 12, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Custom 2004 Fender "2011 Team USA F3K" Stratocaster

The guitar is a Fender Standard Stratocaster, born in the month of September back in 2004 at the Fender Facility in Ensenada, Mexico.

The Fender Stratocaster, often referred to as "Strat", is a model of electric guitar designed by Leo Fender, George Fullerton, and Freddie Tavares in 1954, and manufactured continuously by the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation to the present. It is a double-cutaway guitar, with an extended top horn for balance while standing. The Stratocaster has been used by many leading guitarists and can be heard on many historic recordings. It is one of the most common and enduring models of electric guitar in the world. The design of the Stratocaster has transcended the field of music to rank among the classic industrial designs of all time; examples have been exhibited at major museums around the world.

The original factory specs are as follows:

Model Name: Standard StratocasterŪ
Model Number:013-4602-575
Series: Standard Series
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple, Modern “C” Shape,(Satin Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard:Maple (p/n 013-4602), 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets
Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: FenderŪ/PingŪ Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Bridge: Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo
Pickguard: 3-Ply White
Pickups: 3 Standard Single-Coil StratŪ Pickups (Ceramic Magnets)
Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
Colors: (575)Midnight Wine(Polyester Finish)
Strings: FenderŪ Super BulletsŪ 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003
Unique Features: Vintage Styling
Source: Mexico
Accessories: None
U.S. MSRP: $527.99

The guitar has undergone some modification, cosmetically, mechanically, and electronically:

The first thing I did was to "deck" the tremolo. This involves obtaining a few extra trem springs, Screwing the trem claw all the way in, and installing all five trem springs. This helps to improve tuning stability, and some would argue tone and sustain. I do it for the tuning stability. This can VERY easily be undone if you wish to have a "Full-floating" trem.

The next modification was the installation of a Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" Humbucking Bridge Pick-up. This gives a "ballsier" tone as compared to the stock single coil pickup. Think "AC/DC" as opposed to Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff." Well, not EXACTLY, but you get the idea.

In order to maximize the benefits of the installation of the humbucker, the tone circuits were modified in such a way that the bridge pick-up has a dedicated tone control (Tone 2) and the middle and neck single coil share the other (Tone 1) control. Pick-up selection via the 5 way switch remains stock, as does volume control.

The last, and most apparent mod, was the installation of the AxeWraps graphics package. AxeWraps graphics are very similar, if not identical to the vinyl graphics applied to vehicle for advertising purposes. It is 2mil thick, and could be removed, if you so desire. (But I'd have to question your sanity if you really wanted to get rid of that awesome graphic designed by FlyingJ and JCats.)

Currently, the guitar is set up with Fender Bullet Nickle strings, .009-.042. An additional set will be included in the auction. The combination of the brightness of the maple neck, the "warm" tones from the nickle strings, and the wide range of tones available from the pick-ups makes this a great guitar for fleshing out song ideas, jamming with friends, or just geeking out to songs on the radio.

I did mention that there are a few minor blemishes, but luckily, this piece is in the best condition. The Neck is straight and solid, and actually quite thin and fast. A bit too much of both for my gargantuan meat-hooks, which means it's perfect for 99.9% of everybody else that plays. The frets are still good, but a light polishing would be best if you don't intend to play it, but instead "vault it" for display. The tuners still perform fantastically, and have never exibited any "creep." The electronics are in tip-top shape, mechanically. The humbucker is showing a slight bit of surface rust. I want's about to go at it with any abrasives. (Just think of it as "built in relic-ing. ) The only negative I can find on this is that there is a good sized "buckle rash" on the rear waist cut away. I don't know how it got there, and it never bothered me, as this wasn't originally purchased as a show piece. I can get a pic for interested parties.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by carlsoti; May 03, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Vox AD15VT Guitar Amplifier

VOX AD15VT Features:

* "VOX Valve Reactor" circuit delivers real tube power sound.
* Eleven amp models are built-in; using sophisticated modeling technology to cover a wide range of realistic sounds.
* Eleven different types of popular, high-quality effects (including composite effects) are built-in.
* Store your own user programs in CH1 and CH2.
* Preset mode automatically gives you the characteristic sound of that amp when you select an amp type.
* Knob-based interface for quick and intuitive editing.
* Manual mode lets you hear the exact sound settings that the knobs are indicating.
* Convenient line/headphone jack for home recording or late-night practice.
* The optional dual foot switch lets you switch programs or bypass the effect.
* Number of amp types: 11
* Number of effects: 11, Noise reduction: 1
* Number of programs: 11 preset, 2 channel
* Input/output jacks: Top panel - 1x INPUT Rear panel - 1 x FOOT SW jack, 1 x LINE/PHONE jack
* Power amp output: AD15VT-maximum 15W RMS @ 8 ohms
* Speaker: AD15VT - 1x VOX original (8 inch 8 ohm)
* Signal processing A/D conversion: 24-bit, D/A conversion: 24-bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz

First introduced to the US market in the January 2004, the AD15VT was the smallest member of the AD Valvetronix "Chrome" series of amplifiers. With the AD "Chrome" Series amps, Vox wished to make Valvetronix amps both more affordable and, with edgier styling, more attractive to a youthful market. The AD15VT featured one 8" speaker in a closed back, pressed board cabinet powered by a 15 watt Valvetronix amplifier circuit. The control panel was loaded with controls for eleven amp models, eleven pedal effects and a two channel digital programmer. An optional floor pedal allows for remote control of stored tonal programs. The AD15VT is a very versatile practice amp.

The power amp section of the AD series used the patented Vox Valvetronix Valve Reactor circuit Vox introduced several years earlier in the "blue grill" Valvetronix series amps.

The concept of the circuit is to use a 12AX7 preamp tube in an unusual way - as the heart of a one watt power amp. This one watt power amp even includes a small output transformer to simulate the electronic interactions that happen in high powered tube audio output circuit. The one watt output from this 12AX7 then supplies a solid state power amp to achieve the final 15 watt output.

A rotary control on the top panel selected between a number of different "amp models." A 60s era Vox amp might have a "Class A" output stage, but a "black face" or "UK70s" amp might be "Class AB."

The Valvetronix circuitry would actually reconfigure itself to either "Class A" or Class "AB" to match the circuitry of the selected amp model.

The circuitry for the preamp section was derived from Korg's REMS (Resonant structure and Electronic circuit Modeling System) guitar effects processors.

The AD Series amps offer 11 amp models. These amp models are selectable from a rotary control on the left side of the top panel. The amp models are: Boutique Clean, Boutique Overdrive, Tweed 4x10, Black 2x12, AC-15, AC30 Top Boost, UK 70s, UK 80s, UK Modern, Nu Metal, and US Hi Gain.

The AD series of amps also offer eleven pedal type effects that are selectable from a rotary control on the right side of the control panel. The effects included are: Auto Wah, Compressor, Compressor+Phaser, Compressor+Chorus, Chorus+Delay, Chorus+Reverb, Flanger+Reverb, Tremolo+Reverb, Rotary+Reverb, Delay, and Reverb.

The AD Series of amps also allowed the guitarist to store two "tone patches" in the memory of the amp. The programmer would remember the amp model and effect selected and allow you to access these patches instantly either through buttons on the control panel or from the optional foot switch.

A "Line out/Headphone" jack allowed you to play through head phones without the speaker. Vox also suggested that this jack could be used as a "line out" jack to feed your amp to the PA.

Following a "chrome" theme, a chrome plated Vox logo and Valvetronix model plate adorn the amp. A sixteen gauge chrome plated steel grill protects the speaker.

The AD series amps were produced by Vox in the Orient.

Model - AD15VT
Dimensions - 17" x 15.6" x 8.8"
Weight - 22 lbs.
MSRP - $279.00
Street Price - $199.00

This thing is by far the best little practice amp I've ever owned. It has a wide variety of decent tones, and the "Valve reactor circuit" does a great job of providing the "feel" of a full tube amp. The 2 button footswitch is a replacement pedal from Ibanez, but provides the same features as the original. The footswitch it a bit scratched, but functions perfectly. The line out/ headphone jack works surprisingly well, and pushed my 300ohm/side MB Quart sealed studio headphones to "more than tolerable" levels.
Last edited by carlsoti; May 04, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Gig bag and accessories info to come...
Last edited by carlsoti; May 03, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,202 Posts
Tim..... YOU ROCK, dude!
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Saved for updates, etc...
Old May 04, 2011, 03:07 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,511 Posts
Simply Beautiful!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old May 04, 2011, 09:09 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
That's is one sweet looking guitar.. way to go Tim
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old May 04, 2011, 05:51 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Wow that looks great. That logo is now immortalized. Thanks Tim. I don't know how long DLG will last, but Rock and Roll lives on.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old May 04, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Dave Klein often touts F3B as the "Formula 1" of r/c sailplanes.

I like to think F3K is the "Rock 'n' Roll" of R/C Sailplanes.
Old May 05, 2011, 12:59 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
How cool is that
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old May 05, 2011, 11:23 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,257 Posts
Tim is THE MAN!
This is an envy for all the other national teams
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old May 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Seriously? Are other teams talking about this?
Old May 05, 2011, 11:29 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,257 Posts
Idunno, but I would if I was on a team!
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old May 06, 2011, 03:25 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Seriously? Are other teams talking about this?
Of course, dead serious. In fact I could rock, long before they called it Rock and Roll

Slow Down-The Beatles (3 min 8 sec)

Yves
Cool is the rule
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt