HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 05:05 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
Build Log
Rappahannock Boat Works Torpedo stern launch

In looking around for an open launch hull to put my Graham TVR1A in, I found very few available hulls. that I liked.
Seeing as how there is more Torpedo stern hull obsession on the west side of the pond, me included, I was interested when bgnome posted pictures of a group of full size steam boats built by Ronnie Baird of Rappahannock Boat Works.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1297797&page=2

And when I saw that plans and molds were available for the 3 styles of hulls: wineglass, fantail & torpedo stern I had to inquire about them.
http://www.tinypower.com/boatstyl.htm

I was told that the full size torpedo stern hull was very stable and leaves very little wake.
But alas, I was told there were no plans.
Ronnie builds like the famous designers of the past. He carves a ˝ hull model then takes the lines & measurements off that to build full size. (Or any size for that matter)
The current full size Torpedo stern, Holly Lyn, is 24’ length & beam of 6’6”.

Seeing as how I had requested to purchase plans, Ronnie asked if I could use tracings of the mold station shapes (shadows) from the ˝ hull and enlarge them to whatever size I wanted.
I would still have neither side view drawings nor anything else other than some pictures of the construction of Holly Lyn.

Hey, who said life was easy? Let’s do it…..
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Last edited by Reg Hinnant; May 03, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 05:12 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
I paid Ronnie for the equivalent of plans and shortly I had mold shape drawings (hull shadows) and a CD with a few construction and finished pictures.
I figured I would build in the same manner as they do full size. Strip plank using Poplar for the hull & Spanish Cedar for the trim, decks & interior.
This is what we hope to end up with.
Old May 03, 2011, 05:43 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
I always love a torpedo boat stern...as I am making a torpedo boat destroyer ( with appropriate stern) myself

Good luck Reg--- get that build thread going
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old May 03, 2011, 05:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,884 Posts
Cool.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
Get the build on?? OK
First thing was to enlarge the shape drawings to a suitable size.
His ˝ hull model is 24” so I enlarged the mold tracings (shadows) 200% to get a 48” hull length and 13” beam and that comes out to 1/6th scale from the full size.
I set up the templates on 2 lite ply pieces to cut Identical halves to make each bulkhead. You can see the beginning of all my notes to myself about corrections already.
Old May 03, 2011, 06:21 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
I got the keel lines by using the inside top of the molding shapes lined up with my datum line. I marked the building board with the correct mold spacing & marked the bottom of each mold. On the building board I worked out the bow & stern shape using the pictures from Ronnie as a reference.
Old May 03, 2011, 06:25 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
Then I set about to build a builders frame as used in full size building. I used the same method for the bow & stern construction as Ronnie did.
This is pictures of what we will be building to scale.
Old May 04, 2011, 12:36 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
First I separated the 2 shadow halves from each other and made up a frame work that positioned each shadow the correct height above the building frame.
Old May 04, 2011, 12:44 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
The building frame is glued down to the MDF building board and we are setting up each shadow on the correct station position.
Old May 04, 2011, 01:35 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
THIS IS GREAT !
USING FULL SIZE BUILDING PRACTICES
I will be waiting for the next part !
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old May 04, 2011, 07:29 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
Finally this secret build has been unveiled. Don't ask me how I know but there will be some pretty impressive hull pix to behold, soon, I hope :-)
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old May 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Oh yes, I've been waiting for this build to go live!
A very worthy subject, and her big sister is stunning on the water.

I took video of her under way, I just don't recal if I posted it anywhere. I need to see if I still have it.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old May 05, 2011, 04:35 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
Hummmm….I have Dunc in England waiting for the next part, kno3 in Germany implying that this is a secret build possibly a conspiracy to show a build while it is already done and bgnome waiting for the build to go live. Guess I should get on with it.?
Getting all of the hull shadows aligned and using a fairing batten to check the flow of the hull lines showed adjustments needed in height of 3 shadows & several adjustments on hull sides.
If you follow any of the threads on the forums where they are building full size canoe's or boats you will find that this is a common process no matter how they came up with the shadows lines.
Last edited by Reg Hinnant; May 05, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
504 Posts
The next part will be laminating up the inner keel (in place on the cutouts in the shadows.)
The inner bow frame will be laminated in place after a bow former is cut to shape. The bow former will be like a shadow/mold shape only running fore & aft. It will not be part of the boat.
The stern frame will be a solid piece of spruce cut to shape and temporally attached to the #11 shadow/mold.
You can see what I am talking about in the 2 pictures of the full size construction above in post #7
Last edited by Reg Hinnant; May 05, 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 06, 2011, 10:06 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
How long are you going to keep us waiting for some planks on the molds? I have a feeling (backed by some rumours) that you intend to keep feeding us one build pic every few days, while the finished hull already sits on your desk for your own selfish enjoyment
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-