SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Megatech Ambassador

Hi,

I want to get into this rc sport, and I am trying to decide on what beginner electric plane to get. A hobby shop near by recommended me the Megatech Ambassador. Not sure it is going to be the right one for me.

Any suggetion are welcome.

Thx
Carlos Pesantez is offline Find More Posts by Carlos Pesantez
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Welcome to RCG Carlos,

Not to knock the MT Ambassador but, I'd suggest that you look into the Hobby Zone Champ @ ~ $90USD. There is a ton of positive info on the HZ Champ here on RCG.

Good luck and good flying!

BTW, here's an RCG link to a review thread on the HZ Champ (there are more Champ threads in the RCG micro section).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433792
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Last edited by FMB42; May 04, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Sorry Carlos, I forgot to add the link.
Old May 03, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Thank you,

Appreciate it.
Carlos Pesantez is offline Find More Posts by Carlos Pesantez
Old May 03, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Also keep in mind that any RC plane is only as good as it's replacement parts supply (or "parts support"). Many of the more experienced pilots here will suggest a high wing 3-4 channel plane that the local hobby shops in your area carry replacement parts for.

It can be difficult, if not impossible, to keep a model "in the air" when you can't get replacement parts for it.
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old May 04, 2011, 02:37 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Pesantez View Post
Hi,

I want to get into this rc sport, and I am trying to decide on what beginner electric plane to get. A hobby shop near by recommended me the Megatech Ambassador. Not sure it is going to be the right one for me.

Any suggetion are welcome.

Thx
The 4-ch Ambassador isn't the best choice for an absolute beginner. However, Megatech does make inexpensive, durable, easy to repair & fun to fly RTF 2-ch, 3-ch & 4-ch airplanes if you're still considering this brand. I'm speaking from experience as I have/had five Megatech RC planes.

I started out with their pusher-prop Cosmic Flyer & then switched over to their Sky Vector. I'll have to say, my first flight on the Cosmic Flyer got me hooked on RC aircraft. I had very good luck with these 2-ch planes & spare parts were readily available. The main thing to watch out for is finding and/or maintaining the CG (Center of Gravity). This is critical for all planes & most manuals have this "reference point" included in the set up instructions.

I learned 4-ch flying & mild aerobatics on the Megatech Freedom Flyer Cessna. I liked that plane so much that I decided to upgrade to the Ambassador.

For me, the Ambassador is a great flying plane. I fly this one regularly even though I have larger & more advanced planes in the hangar. It's a great plane for small parks in light winds. I'll fly it in winds over 10 mph without any hesitation but I don't recommend doing this until you become a more experienced flyer.

One major negative of the Ambassador is that the steerable nose gear is worthless. It's weak & it's almost impossible to get it to track straight. Because of this I've converted mine into a fixed set up somewhat like the Freedom Flyer & it's much better.

One idea to consider is possibly getting the Ambassador as a second plane for aileron training but only using three channels, elevator, rudder & throttle until you are ready for four.

The Ambassador is similar to the Freedom Flyer except for the upgraded brushless motor, speed control & Lipo battery. Even though it's a 4-ch plane, it really doesn't need ailerons to make turns due to its design & the dihedral of the main wing.
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; May 04, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 04:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I have flown a number of Megatech products and would not reccommend them, myself. I have had a number of poor quality and customer service issues with them over time and I think there are much better products out there.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
My first plane was a Cosmic Flyer and had a lot of trouble controlling that one and felt like it was a bit underpowered (it's 2ch, rudder is not proportional, just left, right, middle) and I gave up on RC flight until recently.

As I learn to fly on the Champ I got, I want to see if I can improve the Flyer into a 3ch, rudder & elevator proportional and use a 6 cell nimh instead of 5 cell. We'll see.
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok