HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 07:39 AM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking 1600mm B-17 is available!

I know somewhere I saw some development shots of this B17, but it's actually available now on the website:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16546

I'm thinking about buying one 'just because', but does anyone have any experience with it yet? I think it's listing one 3S battery, but I highly doubt it will be enough at 2600mah. Other then the paint job, I kinda dig it Landing gear doesn't look like it will be problematic, and of course dropping foamie bombs could be interesting.

Hopefully it will be in the US warehouse soon
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 09:38 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,884 Posts
I was just looking at this as well. I think your up creek without a paddle on a 3s battery. I personally like it but I will wait for the Airframe only so I can upgrade everything to 4s
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old May 03, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
gee i hope the decals don't come pre applied. The fuselage decals are not even close to being in the right places. The waste gun window decals are almost above the tail wheel.
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Old May 03, 2011, 07:01 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
I was just looking at this as well. I think your up creek without a paddle on a 3s battery. I personally like it but I will wait for the Airframe only so I can upgrade everything to 4s
Not even remotely close to true.
This b-17 in no way shape or form needs a 4s setup. You trying to fly it like a fighter? Do loops and rolls?

I have an 80" 14 pound B-17 that flies much faster then scale and its ON 3s. Yep thats right.....3s.
Its got 4 e-flite power 10's using 3s 6600mah spinning 9x7x3 props

B-17's have a tremendous amount of wing area and dont require a lot of power. Mine jumped off the runway and almost tried to climb vertically on takeoff and it had nothing to do with the balance(ie CG) of the plane or trim of the elevator or even the incidende of teh horizontal stab to the main wing. Has way more power then needed. I could have run e-flite park 450's and still been overpowered even hauling around 14 pounds.

This hobbyking B-17 will easily fly on 3s and for quite some time. Its light as hell. The funny thing about it is the bomb drop. Cute, but no B-17 held the bombs that way. Heinkel HE-111's did though, but thats a german bomber.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old May 03, 2011, 07:25 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Yea, but the bomb droop is goofy enough I can see an 'accidental' flyover of the flight line when my closest friends are around

I would probably strip it down and repaint with callie graphics after the initial test flying is done. I have tons of batteries, but it will depend if it can handle a 3600mah or larger's weight. 4 motors, I hardly doubt it needs 4s for proper thrust, just need to get decent flight times. Of course I would wait until it's in the US with free shipping though.

And that's an awesome B17 kahloq!
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old May 03, 2011, 08:26 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Not even remotely close to true.
This b-17 in no way shape or form needs a 4s setup. You trying to fly it like a fighter? Do loops and rolls?

I have an 80" 14 pound B-17 that flies much faster then scale and its ON 3s. Yep thats right.....3s.
Its got 4 e-flite power 10's using 3s 6600mah spinning 9x7x3 props

B-17's have a tremendous amount of wing area and dont require a lot of power. Mine jumped off the runway and almost tried to climb vertically on takeoff and it had nothing to do with the balance(ie CG) of the plane or trim of the elevator or even the incidende of teh horizontal stab to the main wing. Has way more power then needed. I could have run e-flite park 450's and still been overpowered even hauling around 14 pounds.

This hobbyking B-17 will easily fly on 3s and for quite some time. Its light as hell. The funny thing about it is the bomb drop. Cute, but no B-17 held the bombs that way. Heinkel HE-111's did though, but thats a german bomber.
I will gladly tip my hat to you Sir! I didn't think 3s would have the guts to move the 4 motors, however I was wrong.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
I was just looking at this as well.
jackhei60 is offline Find More Posts by jackhei60
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2011, 10:27 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Had that model available for a couple of weeks...
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old May 04, 2011, 09:56 AM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,884 Posts
HK didn't, they just listed it.
Old May 04, 2011, 05:33 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Yeah.. Was talking about my site.. One think HK wont have is the B-25 with the working bomb bay and retracts..

Rob
Old May 04, 2011, 08:16 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
I ordered mine last nite should be here in about ten days.this will be a decent replacement for my pw-rc one that i wrecked,it would have cost about 550 to redo it so i waited till one of these came out ,hk has better pricing than the other guy and its the same plane and electronics contrary to what the ohter guy says about better electronics.anyway as soon as it arrives ill write about it
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old May 04, 2011, 10:22 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Well that wasnt me then, as I have mine at the same spec as HK but for about $10 less...
Old May 04, 2011, 10:51 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorrock View Post
Well that wasnt me then, as I have mine at the same spec as HK but for about $10 less...
no sir I was not refering to you the other guy ships out of new york and is about 100 bucks more and claims the higher price is becuase he specs out better electronics I just wont mention name as I do not want to start a war I tried to lookup your site but had no luck finding it
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old May 04, 2011, 10:55 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Its www.rcwarez.com..