HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 02:40 AM
United States, KS, Chanute
Joined Feb 2011
100 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Buyer beware bad company

As I just looked at the forum I am not the first person to have problems with Hobby King. Well here is my story ordered a Hobby King AT-6 got the plane finally over a week later from the US warehouse. Opened it up started to get the parts together oh whats this no canopy. Got a hold of someone on their chat believe it or not dont try and call the US warehouse no answer during buisness hours.
Talked to the person on the Chat line. Told them what had happened was told send a picture of the parts and get this a picture of the package being weighed on a scale. I was like what if I dont have a scale I can weigh the package on well then they could not help me. Then they tell me that if they cant send me the part will give me return points. I asked what are those well on your next order will reduce the cost of your order. Told them I dont need points I need a canopy to be able to fly the plane.
Told them what I thought of their customer service. So they asked what can we do make it better. Told them simply dont treat your customers like they are trying to rip you off. Anyway this is by far the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. So if your looking to buy something from Hobby King beware you may not get all of the parts to your item and they will do anything to keep from fulfilling their obligation to the customer.
hoguej115 is offline Find More Posts by hoguej115
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 05:40 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
To counter,

44 orders, never a problem that wasn't resolved. As I'm sure there are thousands of other customers exactly the same as me.

Hoguej115, take the pics and send them to HK CS. Better still go to the HK forum and put your problem up (order number, date etc), don't insult people by telling them how you would run your business and get your problem solved. While you are there read the FAQ section that outlines HK's T's & C's and then consider thinking before you post rubbish.

Seriously. Get the problem fixed and get on with it.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old May 04, 2011, 06:31 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoguej115 View Post
So if your looking to buy something from Hobby King beware you may not get all of the parts to your item and they will do anything to keep from fulfilling their obligation to the customer.
For all the thousands of people with succesful orders there are thousands of people that have had to go through your trouble. It's because of their poor customer service that I have succesfully stayed away from ordering anything from Hobby King. I happily spend more money at store with a proven service track record.
I know I will get what I ordered, and if I dont or something is broken it will be taken care of as if it was their fault, not mine.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Old May 04, 2011, 09:44 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggerty00 View Post
For all the thousands of people with succesful orders there are thousands of people that have had to go through your trouble. It's because of their poor customer service that I have succesfully stayed away from ordering anything from Hobby King. I happily spend more money at store with a proven service track record.
I know I will get what I ordered, and if I dont or something is broken it will be taken care of as if it was their fault, not mine.
You by your own admission have never bought from them. Your comments have zero weight or bearing on this topic.

I read on the net.... therefore it's true?

c'mon.. are you serious?
Last edited by KCV6; May 04, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 07:43 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
You by your own admission have never bought from them. Your comments have zero weight or bearing on this topic.

I read on the net.... therefore it's true?

c'mon.. are you serious?
What is the purpose of this section on the forum or user reviews if you cant use them to base your decision on a company?

Yes, im serious, I will not order from the company because of all the negative experiences by other buyers. I am happy that people are able to express their experiences here without being censored by the company.

You shouldnt be attacking this guy just because you havent had problems with your orders.

Pictures and weight arent going to prove anything and its rediculous to have to jump through hoops to get a canopy for a plane that shouldve been included. Pictures wouldnt prove that you removed the canopy and set it asside, and the weight difference would be so little that it would fall within the margin of error of any typical scale.
Old May 05, 2011, 08:15 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
I've also seen many product reviews on their website where reviewers complain that their marks have been altered to 5 stars/crowns and that sections of their review are removed because they arent positive.
I may be able to order something and get it just fine, but I wont do so from a shady company that will fight every step of the way to fix any problems as well as silencing honest reviewers.
Old May 05, 2011, 09:32 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
You have never dealt with them, you have no idea, end of story. He has once, I have many times. Censored by the company? What’s that suppose to mean?

Their Terms and conditions are 100% clear. If you get something damaged, wrong or missing parts you have to photograph the package and all packaging, weigh it and provide this info. It's not rocket science. Heaps of vendors do this. The world of online transactions is full of scammers and thieves. The sad truth is any savvy online vendor will not believe in the first instance claims of parts missing or broken. If they did they would be sent broke. I have seen people here first hand claim to have not received a parcel and hey presto dig further and the bits they didn't get apparently worked real good or worse still, the vendors CS, rather than helping genuine customers has to waste their time and resources chasing rubbish claims down only to find the post office has provided evidence that that person did in fact collect the item. So many love to spout off about "buyer beware". Garbage. "Seller Beware".

Hobby king have never fought me because I was smart enough to work within their terms. Guess what. I always get my stuff and I always get treated well. This guy hasn't even tried to help himself. If he had he would be on the HK CS forum listing his order number and what’s missing. No it's just easier to come here and have a good whine about it and try tell “me” to beware. Get real.
Old May 05, 2011, 09:36 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Here ya go.

Cut and paste from the support section on HK:

Wrong item received or parcel missing items.
Our warehouse utilizes barcode id, product scanning, RFID security, final item counting and parcel weight recording to ensure each order is full and correct.
We take our shipping and dispatch accuracy very seriously.
If you have received a parcel that is incorrect or incomplete, you must do the following within 48hrs of receiving the parcel;
1) DO NOT throw any of the packaging or product materials away. Keep the entire package 100% as you recieved it.
2) Weigh your parcel and it's contents. You can use a kitchen scale for this. It must be accurate to 5g.
3) Photograph the parcel and it's contents. The photo must show products, parcel and packing materials clearly.
Contact Support Centre with the following information;
Order ID:
Parcel Weight:
Problem with order:
Attach photos of the parcel and contents, as stipulated above.

Failure to follow the procedures above will result in a rejection of the claim.

Never accept a parcel that is crushed, damaged or has been left open, possibly allowing contents to fall out.

Thats pretty black and white now isn't it?
Old May 05, 2011, 09:37 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
For crying out loud people be accountable for your decisions. It's part of life.

EDIT: wow this gets even better. So much for no CS as mentioned so many times of late. I just got off live chat. You know the one everyone says is never there. Asked a civil question about one of the LiPo packs I have that takes a long time to ballance (one out of about 50). 5 minutes of happy chatting to Cheryl who was very helpfull and polite. Go figure, I must simply be the luckiest guy in the world with magical mystical powers that others don't have.

I think I'm done here. Y'all have a nice day now, I'm unsubscribed.
Last edited by KCV6; May 26, 2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: gee I got through to CS live chat no problems.
Old May 05, 2011, 10:38 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
Censored by the company? What’s that suppose to mean?
I'm talking about the Vendor subforums here, the vendors have the ability to delete unsatisfactory reviews and do so on a regular basis (mainly BananaHobby).

I myself wouldnt really have an issue with having to take pictures and weigh what I receive, my biggest turn off is the amount of people that dont get what they have ordered or the parts are messed up, forcing too many to have to take these steps.

If you ask me, even a few problems out of your 44 orders is a high rate of failure on a companies part.
You may be satisfied with the failure rate and the process to get what you ordered, myself and thousands of others are not...

No one in this thread was complaining that the live chat CS arent available, in fact he stated that was the only way he was able to get ahold of the company, your letting all the other HK threads that you fanboy in spill over into this one.
Old May 08, 2011, 09:16 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Well I have ordered a lot from them with no probs until my bro had me order a charger wich would not work. Sent it back at a cost of 25.00 only to tell it works . So they send it back missing the charge leads!!!!! Porbably was the porblem but they would not admit it. I still buy from them but cautious to say the least. CS seems to treat everyone like a crook reminds me of BH! Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!!
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 09, 2011, 09:20 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Actually there is no point in me ranting.

This fanboy is still unsubscribed.
Last edited by KCV6; May 09, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
My mini Cessna arrived damaged (see broken) the box was fine just the plane was internally damaged so I think it was shipped that way..

They want me to send it back but that would make it cost me almost twice as much... Not worth it..

They also block negative or even mediocre feedback on some products (I know that first hand)..

I am not bothering with them anymore, it is not really worth it.. You buy a no name brand and it costs just under half as much after shipping (say $80 rather than $200 locally for a similar known brand product)..

- Now assuming it doesn't have problems which is a gamble (return shipping is expensive) then you may be OK..
- Next problem is if they changed specs without telling people, you buy one spec and get another, also happens a bit.
- Now you break something, unlike a supported brand you may not be able to get a replacement part.
- If you can get a replacement part say the fuselage on the mini swift, it cost $4 and weighs a few grams, but the shipping weight is 500gm which results in the cheapest shipping being $25 and 4-6 weeks wait.. Local available products have more expensive parts but without shipping it will work out the same (or less) for comparable quality. Not to mention not having to wait for weeks on end..

I have used them maybe 10 times but have had enough now and will avoid them like the plague, even if it costs me more.. At least I have a supported product and protected by local consumer laws.. You get what you pay for and sometimes you have to factor in what your time is worth to you dealing with their shortfalls.

P.S. I agree their live chat works, it is about the only way you can get a response out of them in my experience, email never got a reply..

EDIT P.P.S. Out of my three planes from them

Mini Swift - Just not a good plane really, I gave a three star feedback and they chose to 'filter' my review, I guess that keeps the stats high.

Kinetic 800 - I like this plane and have ordered spare parts for it (will be my last hobby king order), but it arrived with VERY poor quality servos, one didn't work at all and the others seem to twitch on and off like they are possessed (have had to replace them, otherwise as I said I like the Merlin copy)..

Mini Cessna - Garbage, arrived in an undamaged box but severly damaged inside the box.. waste of money.. Negative feedback again 'filtered' from their review section..

Lesson Learned..
jeisner is offline Find More Posts by jeisner
Last edited by jeisner; May 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined May 2011
85 Posts
In the last week My dad and I have ordered $400 worth of stuff from Hobbyking so hopefully nothing bad happens, oh yeah I have also seen all this bad feedback but still went through with it.

@Jeisner, Im not sure what you expect from HK in quality wise you get what you pay for so a $40 plane what do you expect.

It also happens i have done a heap of reading on the reviews on HK and found that most of the plane reviews mention jitttering/bad servos, so right after i bought my plane i went to RCTimer and got some tower pros.

Still doesn't condone the Cessna that is just Bull Crap but in 2 - 3 weeks i will either be on here flaming them or giving them a thumbs up.

But if it wasnt for cheap places like HK i wouldnt be getting into this hobby as my LHS are rip off scum. their ARF start at $300 and ARF to them is no servos, motor, battery, ESC, Radio Gear its an Airframe not ARF so yeah for me im sticking at online shopping.
Webbey64 is offline Find More Posts by Webbey64
Old May 11, 2011, 02:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbey64 View Post
@Jeisner, Im not sure what you expect from HK in quality wise you get what you pay for so a $40 plane what do you expect.
I expected lower quality (britle) foam and electronics, poor instructions etc but at least that it wouldn't be broken (engine torn off fuselage) in the box..

And I expect them not to fake the feedback system on their site to hide problems...
jeisner is offline Find More Posts by jeisner