HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 10:23 PM
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Alert
buyer beware Hobby king

after an hour with helpdesk with hobby king all i could get is sorry.
You are now chatting with : Zoe
Zoe: Hi, how may I help you?
You: hello zoe
You: i was just talking with you and the chat closed
You: order number 2002389380
Zoe: sorry for the bad connection
Zoe: the battery is not compatible with the charger?
You: recieved plane with esc and battery have same connection xt-60 and charger was made for over seas power source
You: no the charger is 240v not 110 like tamerica uses
You: the battery will not plug into plane
Zoe: so the charger can not be used in your country?
You: correct
You: it has 2 round prongs
You: america requires 2 flat prongs
Zoe: I am sorry,we receive the charger from our manufacturer,they design this charger,if you can not use it in your country,you may consider purchase an adapter for the charger
You: i purchased an rtf the plane is useless without the charger and with the battery and esc having the same female connection
You: i should not have to purchase anything to make it work
Zoe: I am sorry for the inconvenience,but our supplier only supply this kind of chargers to us
You: what about the xt-60 connetors being the same on battery and esc?
Zoe: what do you mean?there's some problem on the battery and esc too?
You: yes i already stated that. the installed esc and the battery both have the female plug installed if if i got a charger i cant connect the battery to the plane
Zoe: could you please take some photos to show the problem?
Zoe: I will check with our warranty department for you
You: how do i send them when get tehm
Zoe: you mean the photos?
You: yes
Zoe: could you please click "support",then find the "Wrong item received or parcel missing items",click on "support centre"
You: i have already done that it says awaiting assignment to help desk operator
Zoe: we will check the ticket for you,we will also check with our warranty department,once there's any updates,we will reply the ticket
Zoe: you can check the ticket for updates
You: so for the time being i am out of luck with your product
Zoe: I am really sorry for the situation
You: me too. i assure you i will visit every rc website and post this transcript showing how you company treats customer
texasrunner is offline Find More Posts by texasrunner
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 10:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
sorry for your bad experience... but most of us when we're settled in the hobby aren't all that fussed about RTF products. we'll end up choosing our own connectors, chargers, power supplies, radios, etc etc. If you settle into the hobby yourself, not too much of this RTF package will be in use 12 months from now if any.

...if you want to get a good setup to learn how to fly RC, there's a pile of opinions floating around this place to get you pointed in a good and enjoyable direction.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 02, 2011, 10:55 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
In the time it took you to type that, you could have replaced the connectors with Deans.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old May 02, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
I am new to hobby as this was my first plane. I have no idea about anything so i went with RTF after about 30 hours on simulator. i thought it would be the easiest way to learn about hobby while still flying. i found out lesson 1. dont buy from hobby king, 176 dollars down the drain. not evern sure where to go from here . got paper weight that looks like 182. lol guess it is time to learn how to change esc and buy battery and charger.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:06 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,957 Posts
I don't think anybody would have recommended buying from them for a first plane...

However, damage already done. Is that the charger that came with the plane or did you buy it on your own volition in addition to the plane? If you bought it yourself, do you mind linking the product so we can possibly further assist you in solving your problems?

I don't see the connector as a big deal because as bartricky said, it's easy to swap for another connector, and soldering is something you must know to progress in electric flying.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old May 02, 2011, 11:10 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrunner View Post
I am new to hobby as this was my first plane. I have no idea about anything so i went with RTF after about 30 hours on simulator. i thought it would be the easiest way to learn about hobby while still flying. i found out lesson 1. dont buy from hobby king, 176 dollars down the drain. not evern sure where to go from here . got paper weight that looks like 182. lol guess it is time to learn how to change esc and buy battery and charger.
You don't need to change the ESC, all you need to do is solder a new connector on it (the female should be on the battery, the battery is done correctly). HK is fine for ordering components as long as they are in stock, they are not good for RTF planes in particular because they often need modification. If it's just an adapter problem you could still use that charger, otherwise you will have to order a new charger. Batteries don't each need their own chargers, you can get a charger that will charge all sizes of LiPo battery packs and more. It's not at all a paperweight, just a plane with a couple issues.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old May 02, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
You're still in good shape and can get it up and running.
Little annoyances are part of the sport. Just match the connectors and get the charger working...

If you have a local hobby shop it might be worth paying a few more $ for parts to get you started.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
i cant express how thankful i am for all of your assistance. The charger came with plane and has europe style plugs for 240 volts. i am good with soldering as i used to working on 30 million dollars a/c in the navy. i did some research and found the xt-60 male plugs so i will get some of those nd swap out the esc connector and just need to find charger that hooks up to the xt-60 or has an adapter. i am getting excited again that i might finally get to fly this bird.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:21 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
it's not money down the drain... but regretfully there's simply a little effort needed in order to get it all running. even if you shelved it, got something else to get your feet wet and came back to it, odds are you will still get some enjoyment from your investment.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
The smaller white plug on the batt is what you will be plugging into the charger. It has to be a lipo charger.

Keep the old 220v charger in case you travel overseas.
Old May 03, 2011, 02:17 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
If changing connectors has stumped you then this hobby might not be for you. It's only gets harder from here
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old May 03, 2011, 02:20 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
it's not money down the drain... but regretfully there's simply a little effort needed in order to get it all running. even if you shelved it, got something else to get your feet wet and came back to it, odds are you will still get some enjoyment from your investment.
About 2 minutes work....5 if you have never done it before and have to wait for the soldering iron to warm up
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old May 03, 2011, 02:39 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
About 2 minutes work....5 if you have never done it before and have to wait for the soldering iron to warm up
...you are right for most cases, but I was simply making no assumptions about age, experience or skill level.
Old May 03, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
If changing connectors has stumped you then this hobby might not be for you. It's only gets harder from here
Not harder, but FUNNER! Come on...whose eyes weren't wide open and gleamed with joy when that first rewound outrunner turned and ran! or that first ARF flew ...and the list goes on!
FlyorBust is offline Find More Posts by FlyorBust
Old May 03, 2011, 10:32 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
It's not worth your time, RTF chargers will wreck your batteries. Consider it a blessing you can't plug it in.

Buy a Thunder AC6 for $50 and you're good for years.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; May 03, 2011 at 11:37 AM.