HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 05:59 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
191 Posts
Cool
Sailplane Fun-Fly @ Rocket City RC Club, Christmas,FL

We are hosting a sailplane fun-fly at our club field in Christmas, FL on May 14th, 2011. Our club is a power club with some sailplane fliers. We will be doing some aero-tow, winch launch and electric flying. The intent is to introduce more people to some different aspects of sailplane flying and to get some more exposure for our club. My friend Raed from the Orlando Buzzards will bring a winch, and I have a nitro tow plane capable of towing up to 4M/8 or so pounds. I have 3 tow ready 3M gliders. There will be no admission charge and lunch will be available for $6.
We have a nice grass field in christmas, FL, which is on the East side of Orlando. The runway is 600' x 80' with a lot of room to fly around.

"Rocket City RC Club Field" lat=28.5712801648, lon=-81.035701651-coordinates for google earth.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.57...z=17&t=h&hl=en

Bill Staley
BStaley is online now Find More Posts by BStaley
Last edited by BStaley; May 03, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 09:47 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,769 Posts
Make sure Raed brings his DLG too, just to round out the variety of sailplanes, and to make sure you don't miss out on hand launch, the most fun and interesting style of sailplane flying. Sorry I'll be out of town for this one.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old May 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
Make sure Raed brings his DLG too, just to round out the variety of sailplanes, and to make sure you don't miss out on hand launch, the most fun and interesting style of sailplane flying. Sorry I'll be out of town for this one.
Dave
You betcha!
Raed
raed5 is online now Find More Posts by raed5
Old May 06, 2011, 07:27 AM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
456 Posts
Hey Bill,

Sounds like fun. I've put it on my calendar. Probably bring a 2m for the winch, the Radian so I can pretend I'm a power guy and maybe my electric Telemaster.

Rick
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
Old May 09, 2011, 10:56 AM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Christmas Address

Bill: Do you have a street and number for the flying field location, so we can load it into our GPS.
Don
dong727 is online now Find More Posts by dong727
Old May 09, 2011, 11:40 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dong727 View Post
Do you have a street and number for the flying field location, so we can load it into our GPS.
Don
I located it with Google Maps, and the closest address I could come up with was 23008 Fort Christmas Rd, East Orange, FL 32709. The field entrance is about 60 yards east of that address on the north side of the road.

Here's a Google Street View.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old May 09, 2011, 01:08 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
191 Posts
Yes, that is the entrance to the field. I will make sure to have some signs on the road Sat. morning. As you drive in there are orange trees on your right for a short ways and our field turns off to the left-you can't miss it!
Thanks-Bill
Old May 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
191 Posts
Ready to go

All is ready to go for the fun-fly on Saturday. We got the grass cut and field ready for some flying, and the signs are out at the entrance on Ft. Christmas Road. We do have a porta-potty at the field.
Hope to see you there!
Bill
Old May 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
191 Posts
Well the Fun Fly was a blast-the weather cooperated with the winds not being as strong as forcasted and there was plenty of thermal activity. We had a very good turn-out of 19 pilots signing up and plenty of spectators.
As usual Bart-Keeper of the Flame-did a masterful job on the grille and everyone had a good time flying. We got some aero towing done along with some winch launch, electric flying and some DLG.
These pix are from club member Neil Berger
Thanks again to all who participated! Bill
Last edited by BStaley; May 14, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
614 Posts
Thanks to all of the "Rocket city" members for hosting us today. It was nice to be around a group that hasn't had all that much exposure to the soaring community so we could explain what we're trying to accomplish,especially the part about "Ford Longshaft starter motors"
Allan Parsons
Orlando Buzzards
allanp is offline Find More Posts by allanp