SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Couple more pics of the newest iteration.

Thanks to Dave Stack for the inspiration. Photos of his models and method have inspired this latest build.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
I forgot to document the nacelle assembly procedure.

Two foam blocks were cut to the same shape and a semi-circle of foam was routed from each with the hot wire cutter. (In the foreground of the image the two wooden blocks with the semi-circles removed are the templates used to hot wire the nacelle foam blocks to accept the fan assembly)

The hollowed foam blocks were glued together.

Once set the nacelle was glued to the wing section and allowed to dry.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:09 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Nicely made there giuseppi!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Thanks, Nitro.

Also, the weight, so far - 21.1g
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
I tossed what there was of the new airframe and will resume at a later date. I found a thread for a SAL glider called the A-Clone that has my immediate attention.

Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Well, I'm back! LOL

All those months ago when I started this thing it was based on a Dollar Tree foam glider. I mean, just look at the title of the thread, right . And the thing weighed too much when completed. I attempted to lighten it, but to no avail, and it was scrapped.

When I went to get another glider, Dollar Tree was out of stock on the item. And every other Dollar Tree I visited was as well. Every other time since, I've always looked for them when shopping at DT, and they've always been out of stock. They were always shown to be available on the website, but the minimum order was a box of 24. I didn't want that many. I asked the representatives why they were always out but never got a decent answer. I even asked if they could order some for me but they declined. Was told it's first come first served. Helluva customer service.

Anyway, I had pretty much given up on that idea (not completely though, because I've always checked for stock when at DT) but because I liked and wanted a Micro He-162, attempts to build from scratch were made, and those, for one reason or another, turned out to be failures as well.

After the last disaster, I moved on to build a slope gilder, and more recently, a rubber free flight model and some "Chuck" gliders. Oh, yeah. And a Great Planes F-86 that got stepped on and totalled before getting a chance to maiden.

A couple of days ago I stopped at Dollar Tree for some foam board, and lo and behold, there they were again...finally. Foam gliders for a $1.00. I picked up six!

I've already begun the new Volksjäger but haven't snapped any pics yet. This one is coming along nicely. I guess you'd have to expect it, especially considering all the experience I've had with this airframe.

I'll be using the guts from the GP F-86.

More to follow...

g
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
So far...

g
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:46 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
He's back in the game!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
A couple more pics previewing the gadgetry for mounting the wing.

Made a square wooden nut threaded to 6-32 to match a plastic machine screw.

Glued the nut to the underside of the wing.

Bored a hole through the fuselage to accomodate the machine screw which aligns with the square nut.

Made a washer from balsa which was glued in the fuselage machine screw hole as a stop for the head of the screw which prevents the foam from crushing under the screw tension.

There is also a small wooden dowel glued in the front leading edge of the wing under the fan nacelle which aligns with a recepticle in the fuselage behind the canopy to secure the wing in position.

Also added the vertical stabilizers to the horizontal stabilizers.

g
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
That's looking great guiseppi!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
That's looking great guiseppi!
Thanks. I can use the encouragement. I think its my best effort, yet.
g
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Did a couple more things to the He-162. I cut out the ailerons and added the wingtips.I also cut channels in the underside of the wing and ran the pushrod guides for the ailerons and glued the aileron servo in the wing.

I had purchased some flexible pushrods (Part # - OR015-00601) from Hobby King a while back but they are way too heavy for this application. So, being the hobbyist that I am I improvised. I separated the wire from the insulation of some 20 ga. multi strand primary wire I have on hand and used the insulation for the pushrod guides and some stainless steel fishing leader for the pushrods.

The channels for the pushrod guides are recessed enough to allow for filler to be added later to conceal the guides.

g

P.S. I wish I'd checked the focus of the camera. I think the images are clear enough that you'll get the idea.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
All of the details on hardware and your implimentation is great! Can't wait to see more. I agree with you and this is the best version yet.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
All of the details on hardware and your implimentation is great! Can't wait to see more. I agree with you and this is the best version yet.

Fred
Thanks Fred. Your opinion means a lot as I have beaucoup respect and admiration for your building skills.

I ended up yanking the wire insulation pushrod tubes in favor of the ones from HK. The wire would drag a bit in the tube putting too much pressure on the servo. I tried some spray silicone on the wire but it was still hanging up.

The tubes from HK are a tad large for the wire size but the excess play is more than compensated for by the freedom of movement and thus the release of tension on the servo.

The ailerons have been installed using CA hinges, all electronics installed, servos mounted and pushrods run.

g
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing but I do hate tearing out and replacing any work I already completed. You might one day come across some of the CyA glue tubing like Bob Smith Industries sells in 2 foot sections for like $2.00. I use that for my micro pushrod tubes but the wire has to be .020" in diameter or smaller.

Looks like paint is next!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B