Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
I haven't actually gotten around to the new Heinkel yet, but this is what's new in preparation for it.

I read in a discussion somewhere the 8 blade rotors were more efficient utilizing a housing that had three veins.

The only three vein 30mm housings I'm finding are the GWS ones. And good, inexpensive 10mm brushless motors are hard to come by.

Solution. Machinine a standoff to mount an AEO C05XL. This is what I've come up with so far.

I picked a stick of 1/2" aluminum round stock and hand turned it on my mini wood lathe using the same tools I use for wood turning. It takes a bit of patience because only a very small amount of material can be removed at a time.

I also picked up some 1/2" Delrin ( plastic ) round stock to try. It's supposed to have good mehanical strength and rigidity and is fatigue resistant. And will definately be easier to machine on a wood lathe.

I still have to make the template for boring the mount holes on the motor end. The fan end will probably end up being CAed into the housing.

The fan will thread onto the motor shaft utilizing a threaded coupler soldered to the motor shaft. I'll probably also machine the fan end of the standoff to accept a bearing to support the shaft.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
Definitely mount a bearing in the front of the adapter. It will dampen any imbalance of the rotor.

Good work Giuseppi!..
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:50 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Thanks, Dave.

The motor is the 10800kv version. Does anyone know if it's okay to run it on 2 cells. AEO website only shows data for a maximum of 5v.

g
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:07 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
Run it on 3 blades on 2S.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:59 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Added a bearing to the shaft end of the standoff and drilled the motor mount holes in the flanged end. I might still drill and tap mounting holes for attaching to the fan housing. If you zoom in you can see the end has been marked for drilling although CAing the standoff to the housing will work just as well. If it ever needs separating CA debonder has worked before on a GWS fan without any adverse effects.

I've also been busy on another project ( actually the same project just an alternative method ) involving a Cricut Expression machine. The first image in this post shows some fuselage formers cut from a sheet of 8-1/2" X 11" printer paper. It's taken me a couple of days messing with software to figure out how to get the images from my PC to the machine. You might notice in the image that part of one of the formers was torn in my haste to remove the surrounding paper. The next step is to attempt to cut some balsa. I've read on forums that the machine will cut chipboard ( not actually wood but a cardboard similar to a cereal box ) as thick as 1/16" so one of the softer balsas of that same thickness should be okay. It requires a "deep blade" and the multi-cut function.

I'll be back when I know more.

g
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,417 Posts
I like your stand-off. With the bearing I think it will perform very nicely indeed.
I wish I had access to a lathe.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
There's nothing special about mine. It's a mini wood lathe. Real Cheap. You do need a good chuck, however. I bought some 1/2" round aluminum stock and used a cheap set of wood turning tools to shape the standoff.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH8Q8wIwCA

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-3-...x-16-TPI/H8031

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...the-95607.html
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
Slaanesh, sing out if you need anything lathed up. I have one of those hobby lathes and I can't imagine how I survived without it now I have one. The things I do on it are quite varied.

Kinda like this one
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:50 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Now that's a nice lathe, NC.

I was merely pointing out that a small investment is all that's necessary to own a lathe capable of turning out small, one off parts like the standoff.

g
Last edited by giuseppi; Aug 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:37 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Run it on 3 blades on 2S.
Hey NC,

Do you think an 8 blade trimmed to 4 would work okay?

g
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
I think it may be worth a try for sure!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I think it may be worth a try for sure!
I'll give it a shot and take some thrust and wattmeter readings and post here when done.

AAMOF I'll do 3 blade to 4 blade comparison on 2s.

Also, is it correct that to determine RPM you multiply the battery voltage X the motor kv?

g
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,173 Posts
Yes, that will give you the unloaded rpm's.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Hello Giuseppi,

Looking forward to your new build. I finally took mine out for a flight, for the first time in ages. Had a small tail control problem that will be easily cured. Made for an interesting flight otherwise.
Took some video of it flying also:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...40&postcount=9

Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:14 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Been a while between starts. With a hot wire foam cutter, I cut a wing panel and blocked out and began shaping a fuselage today. Weight is 12.8g

The foam comes from a neighbor who tosses out clear bags of pieces around 6 feet in length, eight to ten inches wide and around an inch thick.

g