HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
My sheet foam cutting table is just clamped together, consists of a sheet of 1/2" plywood about 18" X 24". 1" X 2" lumber clamped on each side as rails to guide the sheet, and one along the bottom front to square the surface. A 3/8" hole holds a peg to secure the cutting wire on one side and a guitar tuner for tensioning the wire on the opposite side. An old HO train set DC transformer for power. The cutter is .010" piano wire.

And the plans printed out, cut and taped together to form a single large sheet to build on.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Man on a mission!

It's funny how all sheds and garages for us modellers the world over look the same...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Here, the the page from the PDF containing the fuselage formers has been assembled and pasted to the foam sheet and the formers are ready to be cut out. Two of each is required to complete the fuselage.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Got all the formers cut out and glued together/drying on building board.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Giuseppi,

Subscribing!!! The thought has crossed my mind of trying an old Comet, with 2mm and 1mm depron.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old May 13, 2011, 10:58 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
In this image, the plans have been layed out on the building board and covered with wax paper. The bottom keel has been cut from the full sheet of foam and pinned to the building board over the plans. The formers have been notched to fit the keel and glued in place. The glue is an aliphatic resin thinned with water.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:54 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Here the fuselage side keels have been cut from the sheet and the wing templates have been glued to the foam sheet.

The plans call for a built up wing with ribs and spars, etc. This model will sport a flat foamie wing with Jedelsky-type airfoil.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Okay, plan B...or C or D. Whichever it is. I've scrapped what I had done and will be starting over.

I should have been building flat on the plan one side at a time but thought I'd try something different.

Anyway, the way I was going was like, no-wheres-ville daddy-o. It looks a like a trip to the balsa wood store is in order.

I'm determined to do this by hook or crook.

g
Old May 13, 2011, 07:33 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I like your attitude!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Well, I got re-started. Or maybe re-re-started. I've lost track at this point.

The thumbnail shows the top and bottom keels pinned to the plans with a sheet of wax paper in between.The first three starboard formers have been glued to to the upper and lower keels. The foam sheet the keels are cut from is Dollar Tree foam board cut to 2mm on hot wire cutting table.

The formers, believe it or not, are cut from the top and sides of a foam carton from a dozen chocolate covered marshmallow easter eggs. The foam cartons are very rigid, probably from the label/coating. It reminds me of the GWS foam wings, whatever it is.

Old May 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
There's more than one way to skin a cat, 'er meant to say plane. Keep pushin, you'll get there!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old May 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Starboard side ready to be removed from building board.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
I'm not entirely pleased with the way the stick build is going so I'm changing again. The foam keels are not stiff enough, for one. Secondly, the fan nacelle and fuselage will be easier for me built separately. And the formers weren't cut as precisely as needed be.

It's one of those wish I knew then what I know now kinda things. But I had to experience it to understand it. If I decide to go back to the stick frame I'll use balsa entirely.

Here are pics of my latest attempt. It's a card model converted to PDF, scaled up and printed on the home printer. The parts were cut from the pages with scissors and individually mounted to Dollar Tree foam that has had the paper removed from both sides. The parts are roughly cut from the sheet and trimmed to final shape with a drum sander and sanding blocks.

Image #1 is of the formers all cut to final shape. The frame in the background I'm saving, just in case...

Image #2 is the fuselage parts mounted to the thin foam sheet made on the hot wire table. One piece is removed from the sheet and partially formed.

Image #3 is my drill press set up with a small drum sander for truing the formers to the template lines.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Guiseppi, nice job, what motor do you going to use? and the ws? I will follow your build this is one of my favorite planes.

Cheers.

Al
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old May 19, 2011, 08:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo Rubio View Post
Guiseppi, nice job, what motor do you going to use? and the ws? I will follow your build this is one of my favorite planes.

Cheers.

Al
Hi, Al.

These are the parts I'm gonna use. I might use this motor instead: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6551

Receiver - DSM2 clone from Target Hobby; Fan - 30mm blue housing and GWS 6 blade from HK; ESC - HK 6 amp Motor - Turnigy 1220 brushless inrunner from HK; Battery - 2S 180 mah built from Zippy bulk batteries from HK

The GWS 6 blade rotor was trimmed to a 3 blade after one of the vanes snapped off. Also, I chucked the EDF housing in my mini lathe and turned down the flared lip to fit the nacelle.
g