HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
Discussion
Gas engine RCGF 15cc failure only in speed during flight - Help

Went to the track this weekend and spotted a problem.
I'll report what happened to see if someone can help me.
The Aero 60 is a toucan in a TWM RCGF 15cc engine and still softening. 40:1 mix mineral oil and gasoline podium.
Set the engine with a 14x6 two blades spinning at 9000rpm.
On the ground the engine is strong and keeping 9000rpm smoothly without loss of rotation. The slow 3000rpm and reproduced without loss.
The problem is that when I put the engine in flight begins to fail.
The aircraft was without a fairing, then one thing I thought was related to airflow. A friend also said that.
I put the fairing and also failing continue gave overheating. I had to close the needle upwards. Crop rotation. At 9300rpm and was well maintained without overheating. Continued failing in flight.
I removed the cowling again and made another flight.
I put the aero top and pre estoll and to my surprise the engine was strong and firm on top, that is, has nothing to do with difference in pressure or temperature. It seems that when the motor spins more freely with less effort or when it gets very seeing is that the problem arises, however it was windy would have resolved with the fairing.
I wonder if it has to do with regulation and how should I adjust. They told me what might be going missing and having to close more high. Closing the lack of high gives the slow and the engine off in return, what should I do with the slow progress of this case?
Would if I put a larger propeller can solve. I'm having a 14x7 3 blade. The engine supports up to two blades 15x6
Is he off point?
In the first flight the engine had not given this issue or if I did not notice.
Thanks for the help.
Kemp is offline Find More Posts by Kemp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 04:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Went to the track this weekend and spotted a problem.
I'll report what happened to see if someone can help me.
The Aero 60 is a toucan in a TWM RCGF 15cc engine and still softening. 40:1 mix mineral oil and gasoline podium.
Set the engine with a 14x6 two blades spinning at 9000rpm.
On the ground the engine is strong and keeping 9000rpm smoothly without loss of rotation. The slow 3000rpm and reproduced without loss.
The problem is that when I put the engine in flight begins to fail.
The aircraft was without a fairing, then one thing I thought was related to airflow. A friend also said that.
I put the fairing and also failing continue gave overheating. I had to close the needle upwards. Crop rotation. At 9300rpm and was well maintained without overheating. Continued failing in flight.
I removed the cowling again and made another flight.
I put the aero top and pre estoll and to my surprise the engine was strong and firm on top, that is, has nothing to do with difference in pressure or temperature. It seems that when the motor spins more freely with less effort or when it gets very seeing is that the problem arises, however it was windy would have resolved with the fairing.
I wonder if it has to do with regulation and how should I adjust. They told me what might be going missing and having to close more high. Closing the lack of high gives the slow and the engine off in return, what should I do with the slow progress of this case?
Would if I put a larger propeller can solve. I'm having a 14x7 3 blade. The engine supports up to two blades 15x6
Is he off point?
In the first flight the engine had not given this issue or if I did not notice.
Thanks for the help.
Hello ,

In my opinion , a 14/7 three blade is too much propeller for a RCGF15 ,,,,,,,,, and for the first few runs ("Breaking in the engine") your fuel mixture of 40/1 sounds like not enough oil . Try adding a bit more oil , and a bit less prop (something like a two blade 14/6 or thereabouts ) and see if that dont help cure the overheating .

Good Luck and Happy Flying
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2011, 02:33 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
14x6 2 blade should be OK. Try turning the High needle out to richen the top end. That might help with it over heating in the air.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old May 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
How do you know the motor is overheating ? Unless it seizes or you have a handheld temp gauge the only way to tell is to look at the plug--if electrode &/or base shows any whitesh color---it is running too hot---retard spark &/or richen mixture.
Are you sure you have no fuel problems, IE lines kinked, an air leak, a tank or piping w/in problem ? The problem you are describing (if I interpret your wording) would be typical of an air leak or fuel restriction somewhere if the aformentioned suspects are OK.

After re-thinking this, 9k seems a good RPM so maybe not as overpropped as I initially thought--not sure about mixture----40:1 non synthetic may be OK if rod has needle brgs top & bottom ---if at all bushed---35:1 is safer especially if running too hot. Pennzoil For Aircooled Engines is best possible oil for all conditions--bar non
Here's a Zinger multiblade prop guide that I've had pretty good luck with.

2, 3 & 4 BLADED CONVERSION CHART
The conversion for a three and four bladed propeller is a simple task if you know what two bladed propeller you use on a given Engine. For example, on a three bladed propeller you would drop the diameter and keep the pitch. On a four bladed, you would drop the diameter and the pitch. For instance if you had a two bladed 24-10 propeller and you wanted a three bladed you would use a 22-10 and so on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2BL 3BL 4BL
10-6 9-6
11-8 10-8 10-6
12-8 11-8 11-6
12-10 11-10 11-8
13-10 12-10 12-8
14-10 13-10 13-8
14-8 13-8 13-6
15-8 14-8 14-6
15-10 14-10 14-8
16-10 15-10 15-8
18-10 16-10 16-8
20-10 18-10 18-8
22-10 20-10 20-8
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Last edited by staggerwing; May 03, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 01:08 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
You guys think a 14x6 is over proped? I'm running a 17x6 vess on a 20cc and it works great. I dont own a 15cc, so I'm not too experienced on how well they run.
Old May 03, 2011, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
You guys think a 14x6 is over proped? I'm running a 17x6 vess on a 20cc and it works great. I dont own a 15cc, so I'm not too experienced on how well they run.
No No , If you read the Original Post , He's using a 14/7 Three Blade ! That IS too much prop for the RCGF15 . It was Me who Originally suggested (In post #2) that he use a 14/6 Two Blade instead of the three blader hes using
Old May 03, 2011, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Course , , reading it again , , Im not 100% sure WHAT hes using for a prop ......... His english is a bit off ..
Old May 03, 2011, 01:31 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
It's turning a 14x6 at 9k. Maybe it's under proped.