SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2011, 10:41 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,528 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Orange Rx DSM, any problems/complaints?

Although I have already ordered this Rx and has received it. I got the Orange Rx (not the one in a plastic box, I got the smaller 4ch one that is transparent orange shrink wrapped) I got it to put in my next plane to bind with my DX6i. Well, im looking to get a 4ch warbird soon and just making sure to see if anybody has used this Rx and has had any problems with it? I see its got good reviews on HK, but just wanted to check here.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
Professional Plane Crasher
USA, MO, Kansas City North
Joined Sep 2010
77 Posts
My only complaint is that it is hard to get all of the servo connectors in the hard-case version if you have a plane with lots of servos. I think I am going to take the case off and shrink-wrap them. We have had no issues with them at all. They even work with our Spektrum satellite if we ever decide to use one for a longer-range plane.
Grabber5.0 is online now Find More Posts by Grabber5.0
Old May 02, 2011, 06:56 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,557 Posts
Do a search here and maybe even in RC Universe. There was a batch of bad ones that came out of HK, but I believe they have remedied the problem.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old May 02, 2011, 07:06 AM
Australia, New South Wales
Joined Feb 2011
206 Posts
Just got 6 of the latest batch of 6ch OrangeRx with the satellite port. All bind and stay bound so looks like this latest batch is ok.

Bart
bart70 is offline Find More Posts by bart70
Old May 02, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
used over 20 of them with not a single fault and saved a ton of money over buying ar6200's
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Old May 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Here's my range test on them...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1250
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old May 02, 2011, 07:48 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,528 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I did a "walk" test on the ground. I walked as far as I could so I just barely could see my plane, I just listened for the motor to turn. I guess I would be comfortable to test it in my balsa trainer plane.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old May 03, 2011, 12:10 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I did a "walk" test on the ground. I walked as far as I could so I just barely could see my plane, I just listened for the motor to turn. I guess I would be comfortable to test it in my balsa trainer plane.
What you should do is the standard "30 paces" range test with reduced power. It is a reliable indication that everything is working properly. Be sure to include various receiver orientations (have someone rotate the model), and point the transmitter antenna directly at the model, so you include least favorable situations. This is a much more revealing test than long walks with the transmitter on full power.

My own experiences with the 6-channel Orange and the RA61e have been very good.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
234 Posts
DSM2 OrangeRX+sat.: delay when only the satellite receives

Hi,
I wanted to test the OrangeRX DSM2 satellite in situations when
the main receiver does not receive anymore (screened antenna, proximity to an FPV video TX, etc.).

To test this you can 1) shield the main receiver in some metallic box (but not the satellite), put your radio in range test mode, a move away until only the satellite remains bound. If you have two radios, you can just bind the main receiver to the first, and the satellite to the second one. Then you just switch the first one off and try to control the servos with the second (via the satellite only).

Result: I found that the servos are then *very* slow to react (about one second), and the model canno't be controlled properly

I made a video to illustrate this:

OrangeRX DSM2 Satellite: annoying one-second delay (0 min 45 sec)

Do you think this is normal ? Do the (genuine) spektrum satellites do the same [I do not have one to check] ? Any comment is welcome !

grmis
grmis is offline Find More Posts by grmis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by grmis; May 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:48 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmis View Post
Hi,
I wanted to test the OrangeRX DSM2 satellite in situations when
the main receiver does not receive anymore (screened antenna, proximity to an FPV video TX, etc.).

To test this you can 1) shield the main receiver in some metallic box (but not the satellite), put your radio in range test mode, a move away until only the satellite remains bound. If you have to radios, you can just bind the main receiver to the first, and the satellite to the second one. Then you just switch the first one off and try to control the servos with the second (via the satellite only).

Result: I found that the servos are then *very* slow to react (about one second), and the model canno't be controlled properly

Do you think this is normal ? Do the (genuine) spektrum satellites do the same [I do not have one to check] ? Any comment is welcome !

grmis
You get similar results with genuine Spektrum. I was just testing an AR6200 this morning. The idea of the main receiver plus satellite is not that the unit can operate with only one or the other receiver functioning, but that the two receivers work together to maintain a steady flow of information. In many cases, the Spektrum receiver will not even link without a functioning satellite and both must be bound to the same transmitter. The test is artificial and proves little about the real functioning of the receiver unit as a whole.

My experience has been that a careful 25-30m reduced power range test is a very reliable indicator of adequate range in the air. In four years of Spektrum flying, I have never had range issues with any receiver that passed the "30 paces" test. (I've had problems, but they were not range-related).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
234 Posts
Daedalus66, thanks for your message (and for the precision concerning genuine Spektrum satellites)
I did this test because in my plane (Easystar clone) the main OrangeRX receiver is (too) close to my FPV video transmitter (200mW/900Mhz/custom Vee antenna) and the reduced-power range test fails beyond 10 paces or so in absence of satellite. In the air I had problems at 300meters or so, which is not enough.

So I decided to put a satellite very far, in the tail of the plane, to get a better range. Then, after 15 paces in range-check mode I am precisely in the situation I described above: the main receiver gets nothing (led off) while the satellite (judging from its led) is still bound to my Dx6i. However, I cannot properly control the servos due to this one-second delay. The satellite does not really solve my problem of having a poorly located main receiver.

The data transmitted between the main receiver and the satellite is a simple serial communication at about 115 k.bauds, specifying all the channels: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922566
(and, as far as I undertood, without any information going from the main rx to the satellite, except during the binding) process. This is why I was expecting to be able to control my plane through the satellite only.

Grmis.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by grmis; May 16, 2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
234 Posts
OrangeRX 9channel + Satellite = OK (no delay)

Hi,
I did the same test with the new 9ch OrangeRX DSM2 receiver. There, everything works as I expected: if the main receiver loses the signal (screened for instance), we still have the full control via the satellite, without any delay.

So, I think that that there is indeed a bug in the 6ch RX (I tested three of them, and they all behave the same way): once it has lost the signal, it takes the serial data sent by the satellite only once a second, while the 9ch RX does it "continuously", as it should.

Grmis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmis View Post
Hi,
I did the same test with the new 9ch OrangeRX DSM2 receiver. There, everything works as I expected: if the main receiver loses the signal (screened for instance), we still have the full control via the satellite, without any delay.

So, I think that that there is indeed a bug in the 6ch RX (I tested three of them, and they all behave the same way): once it has lost the signal, it takes the serial data sent by the satellite only once a second, while the 9ch RX does it "continuously", as it should.

Grmis.
that's why I chose to put the 9 ch in my 79" sailplane that goes 2000' and not the 6 channel one.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,275 Posts
I've got 4 of the 4 channel Orange RX's and have never had a issue with any of them.

3 are in close range park fliers and one in a EZ* that I have specked out many times with no loss of control.

My only complaint is that the price of them is not as low as when I first started buying them.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Price is still crazy low, and hobby king has stated that they dont make any money on these at all.
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola