Old May 01, 2011, 06:53 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Mini-Review
Phoenix 2000

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13994

This 2M electric sailplane is availabe from US warehouse of Hobby King in Seattle, WA. It saves shipping cost. If shipped individually from Hong Kong, shipping cost will be prohibitive.

The plane is priced at $89. $102 shipped to Los Angeles.

Advertised as plug and fly, it took me one day to assemble wings and tail. The next day after it arrived, I was already flying.

No problem was encountered in assembly. You don't need glue. Only a screw driver is needed. Even a screw driver is included.

The wings are foam with carbon rod spar. Since it is a foam wing, it flexes a lot. It will not withstand high G. It is definitely not designed as a high speed plane.

The plane is light. It is designed as a thermal soaring glider. It soars high and responds very well to control as it is streamlined, unlike a floater.
Landing speed is slow so you don't need flaps.

If you like leisurely soaring, this is an ideal plane for you.

The brushless motor, 28-15, 1050KV, which comes with plane is just adequate to climb slowly with 10" prop. The motor stopped after a while. ESC must be overheating. When battery was checked, a half of capacity still remained. When the motor was started after landing, it ran normal again. This will be checked out further.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Jun 01, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
It appears Phoenix motor and ESC are not up to its job.
I checked Hobby King product discussion foroum and found many buyers were complaining motor and ESC quitting after 3 - 4 min. flight after overheating. Some had to replace burnt ESC.
Last edited by John Kim; May 02, 2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old May 02, 2011, 03:50 AM
South Korea
Joined Jul 2002
243 Posts
John,

Thanks for the mini review. I wanted a full house glider trainer, so I added flaps. I agree with you - it is just fine without flaps, but with them, she comes down right in front of me I flew two days with about 7 or 8 flights each with nary a problem with the motor or ESC. I have all original power equipment and she climbs quite strong. But then, with your dynamic soaring experience and mostly thermal flying for me, our ideas of what is strong may be quite different.
Correa is offline Find More Posts by Correa
Old May 02, 2011, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Correa View Post
I flew two days with about 7 or 8 flights each with nary a problem with the motor or ESC.
I am glad to hear that. I hope mine will present no problem.

I bought Phoenix as a thermal soarer and not high performance speedster. Speed is not my concern. As long as motor and ESC operate normally, it is acceptable.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
I sent Phoenix soaring high in the sky on the second day of test flight today.
I was very much satisfied with its performance as a thermal glider.
It soars high easily because of its extremely light weight. It flies straight as directed owing to its streamlined body.

I was concerned about propulsion system because of complaints heared from other buyers regarding overheating motor and ESC.

I used full throttle only for launch and climbing for about 15 seconds. The rest was flown at half throttle. It was able to climb even at half throttle and there was no need to use full throttle.

At the end of flight, it soft landed very slowly.

This plane should serve well as a trainer as well as a thermal soarer.
Last edited by John Kim; May 04, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old May 03, 2011, 11:08 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
On the first flight, motor died. It appeared motor and ESC were overheating.
After landing and some cooling period, motor started again.

On the second test flight, I was cautious. I used full throttle only for launching and climbing for about 15 seconds. After then, I flew only at half throttle for the rest of flight. Because of its light weight, Phoenix was able to climb even at half throttle.

I encountered no problem with motor during entire 15 min. of flight.

Apparently, Phoenix is designed as a light thermal soarer and not speed plane. If you use it correctly, you should have no problem. If you intended to fly this plane at fast speed, you selected a wrong plane. The light foam wing will not survive high G flying anyway.
Old May 04, 2011, 04:19 AM
Australia
Joined Feb 2011
15 Posts
Good to hear as I am buying one on Friday.
Mugglechops is offline Find More Posts by Mugglechops
Old May 04, 2011, 09:49 AM
South Korea
Joined Jul 2002
243 Posts
John,

The way I fly, I climb full throttle to about 2 or 3 hundred meters. Then, I turn the motor off until I land or do a failed approach and power up again. This gives me nearly 10 climbs on my 1600 mAh LiPo with no overheating issues yet.
Correa is offline Find More Posts by Correa
Old May 04, 2011, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Some pictures attached.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:57 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
ESC burnt out

ESC in Phoenix is definitely of low quality, under capacity speed control.

On the third day of test flight, ESC burnt out even while flying at half throttle.
It no longer works.

Hobby King had better replace present ESC with better one or will face numerous claims from buyers.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
Australia
Joined Feb 2011
15 Posts
Is it worth ordering a new, better, ESC at the same time as buying the plane?
Mugglechops is offline Find More Posts by Mugglechops
Old May 04, 2011, 10:15 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,649 Posts
There are a few other Phoenix 2000 threads on the go and one thing that pops up frequently is the poor quality clevises. For you blokes starting out with the Phoenix I would highly recommend you either replace all of these or fix them before you get airborne. The little plastic clip inside the clevis breaks very easily, actually some of mine were already broken on delivery.

The threaded rod for the elevator and rudder is an unusual diameter and I couldnt find replacement clevises. But you can easily modify the existing clevises. Cut the little clip (tab) off, then drill through the existing hole and create a matching hole on the opposite side of the clevis. Then thread a paperclip through these holes when you attach it to the control horn.

New better ESC ? Definitely. Get yourself a better quality turnigy from HK they are cheap. If you want to upgrade your motor (replace the crappy stock one!!) later on you will need a better ESC anyway.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2011, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
ESC in Phoenix is definitely of low quality, under capacity speed control.

On the third day of test flight, ESC burnt out even while flying at half throttle.
It no longer works.

Hobby King had better replace present ESC with better one or will face numerous claims from buyers.
It turned out that bad one is motor, not ESC.
When I tested ESC on another motor, ESC worked all right.
When the original motor was tested with another ESC, it made grinding noise, stuttered, vibrated and quit after a few second.

Motor was returned to HK for exchange.

I won't be able to fly Phoenix until I get a replacement motor. How long will it take, who knows.

In conclusion, Phoenix has propulsion system problem. Know it before you buy.
Old May 06, 2011, 08:02 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,911 Posts
What's the rating of the standard ESC that comes with the Phoenix?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old May 09, 2011, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
What's the rating of the standard ESC that comes with the Phoenix?
ESC is marked 30A. No brand.

Similarly, motor has no brand either.