HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2011, 05:34 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Please help me decide which 3DHS for me to become an addict

Hi All,

I've been researching everything I can find on rcgroups and the net on 3DHS planes. I appreciate any advice anyone can provide, particularly if you own/flown these planes.

My needs:
- My local field has a direct crosswind to the runway, and we often have gusty windy days so I need something that has good wind penetration and some weight so that it doesn't get bounced around

- Something precise enough to compete in sportsman and maybe intermediate pattern flying

- 3D capable - I would place these qualities slightly above the pattern qualities

- Needs to fit in a Honda Accord

From what I have researched I have narrowed to the following planes, let me know if I missed any or if any should be removed:

Extra 330 SC 57" - Seems like a good blend of 3D and pattern, larger than my acromaster so should do better in the wind and be easier to see at distance

Extra SHP 47" - I always thought this would be the next plane after my acromaster but the way the acromaster gets pushed around in the wind I think I may need something bigger/heavier/more powerful

Vyper 65" - I like the billing as a hybrid pattern/3D plane, good size, but I have a bias towards extras in appearance

Slick 59" - Seems to be another good all-arounder

So all that said, what I am looking for is suggestions on which plane is going to handle wind well, 3D, and be moderately capable of pattern flying to the point where I could actually compete in the lower levels with it.

Thanks in advance for your help on this, and for all the help you have provided others that I have been reading during my time in the hobby!

Bob
plainpilot is offline Find More Posts by plainpilot
Last edited by plainpilot; May 01, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 05:46 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,527 Posts
Bob, I think you did a pretty good job of narrowing it down. I'd suggest the 57" 330 or the 65" Vyper. Of course, the Vyper is in stock now. No waiting!

Also, if you're considering the 65"-72" size, there is always the 72" Extra 330. Really an awesome plane.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2011, 05:53 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
Thanks Horton! How is the top end speed on those planes? Alot of the guys in the club fly gassers and I feel like my acromaster propped for 3D sometimes had a hard time keeping up in the pattern.
Old May 01, 2011, 06:18 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,527 Posts
A 17x10 on the recommended power system in the Vyper should keep up with them.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2011, 06:35 PM
LOWER LOWER oops
SAN ANTONIO
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts
In that size I think I would go with the SC but if you where to go up in size a bit, I think you would love a 72 extra.. I actuly have more fun with it in the wind than any other plane.. On the flip side, if you where to go up in size and you are looking at doing pattern flying than you should look at the Osiris..
Sorry don't know if I helped at all
PETE'S392 is offline Find More Posts by PETE'S392
Old May 01, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpilot View Post
Hi All,

I've been researching everything I can find on rcgroups and the net on 3DHS planes. I appreciate any advice anyone can provide, particularly if you own/flown these planes.

My needs:
- My local field has a direct crosswind to the runway, and we often have gusty windy days so I need something that has good wind penetration and some weight so that it doesn't get bounced around

- Something precise enough to compete in sportsman and maybe intermediate pattern flying

- 3D capable - I would place these qualities slightly above the pattern qualities

- Needs to fit in a Honda Accord

From what I have researched I have narrowed to the following planes, let me know if I missed any or if any should be removed:

Extra 330 SC 57" - Seems like a good blend of 3D and pattern, larger than my acromaster so should do better in the wind and be easier to see at distance

Extra SHP 47" - I always thought this would be the next plane after my acromaster but the way the acromaster gets pushed around in the wind I think I may need something bigger/heavier/more powerful

Vyper 65" - I like the billing as a hybrid pattern/3D plane, good size, but I have a bias towards extras in appearance

Slick 59" - Seems to be another good all-arounder

So all that said, what I am looking for is suggestions on which plane is going to handle wind well, 3D, and be moderately capable of pattern flying to the point where I could actually compete in the lower levels with it.

Thanks in advance for your help on this, and for all the help you have provided others that I have been reading during my time in the hobby!

Bob
tough call. between all the smaller electrics from 3dhs i love the 57 SC. (i currently have the 40edge, 47edge, 47shp, 46vyp, 57sc, 72sc, 65vyp,51slick)

the 65 vyper is really great in wind though and flies really nice lines

the 57 can be quite fast depending on how you power it. I love how it flies

i generally use the 57 to warm up and then switch to the 87
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old May 01, 2011, 06:55 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,701 Posts
The 103's fly good in the wind-
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old May 01, 2011, 06:56 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,348 Posts
if you want to do pattern....the 65 vyper is your plane for sure. it flys amazing, i absolutely love mine! heres a (crappy quality) video with me flying my vyper

3DHS 65" Vyper (2) (6 min 18 sec)

and then here is a video of someone who knows what he is doing (arron, also know as theKM)

65 Vyper - a little 3D hucking (2 min 28 sec)
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rcbirk21; May 01, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 01, 2011, 06:58 PM
USA, NY, Patchogue
Joined Aug 2009
345 Posts
doesnt matter which one you buy first because once you buy one your gunna wind up getting the rest anyways
steve400 is offline Find More Posts by steve400
Old May 01, 2011, 08:16 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
Great feedback so far thank you...sounds like the sc or the vyper is the general consensus...
Old May 01, 2011, 09:56 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,851 Posts
At my club, most guys are still flying Nitro. When I am "flying the pattern" with them, my 57 SC does just fine (in fact sometimes I have to slow it down ... lol).

It slows way down for 3D though, so great for slow and low and fast and violent

Have fun regardless of how you decide to go.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old May 01, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Quote:
My needs:

65" Vyper.
Hacker A50-16S
Hacker X70 ESC
Castle BEC
APC 18x10 prop
4 x Hitec Hs-985Mg servos
6S 5000mah 30C packs

that's a do-it-all package that fits all of your requirements and will more than hold its own at a glow field.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2011, 11:08 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
That looks like a great setup, thanks blucore! Looking at the cost difference for packs and whole setup would you say the vyper is significantly better than the sc? Could the vyper also be flown in a small park?
Old May 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Not in a small park. Stay 57-59" maximum for a park. 65" and up needs a field.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2011, 12:38 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,417 Posts
Agree with blu on the park, unless your skilled in Harriers and high Alpha then 59 or lower for parks, heck 51 and lower is probably better, for fields 59 and up is

My vote is for the Vyper as its an awesome looking all rounder and fits most if not all your requirements.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik