HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2001, 01:16 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,498 Posts
A new flying field in the making!

This is an article from our local newspaper today. Almost too good to be true and a 10 minute drive from my house!

The link: http://www.thesunlink.com/news/2001/...byaircraf.html

The text:

More model airplanes will be zooming in the air, performing loops and rolls and other aerial feats now that airplane owners have a place to go and fly.

Kitsap County commissioners Monday approved a lease of some out-of-the-way property from McCormick Land Company to serve as a flying area for radio-controlled aircraft.

The lease price was just $1 a year, and McCormick even graded dirt for a runway although it will take time and effort to get the field in top shape, according to Marlin Little, field acquisition chairman for Kitsap Aircraft Radio-Control Society.

"This is probably as close to an ideal site as we can come," Little told the commissioners while thanking them for the property.

The flying area lies off Sunnyslope Road within a 1,100-acre forested area between Sunnyslope and Lake Flora in South Kitsap.

The club has flown at Bremerton National Airport and at Bremerton Raceway, but it has never had a dedicated, unrestricted area to fly. Lately, with increased auto racing, opportunities have diminished and membership has declined.

With a dedicated flying field, Little expects the membership to rebound from the present 54 members to more than 150.

"Our average age is the mid-40s, but we have members from age 8 to their late-80s," Little said. "Quite a few are 50 and up, because it is the kind of thing retired people get into."

Beginners are welcome at the club's outings, where some newcomers get a chance to fly their first airplane through a "buddy box" something like a second brake in a driver's-ed car.

Flying a radio-controlled airplane is a hobby people can get into for about $300 by consulting with established flyers, Little said.

At the expert level, the model planes can be seen doing all kinds of fancy loops and dives "more stuff than a regular airplane can do," he said.

An "open house" to show the new field to the public will be announced later, and Little expects the club to host regional flying competitions in the future.

The county has an option to buy the surrounding 1,100 acres of forest land. Little said club members would be willing to invest in landscaping, parking and other facilities if everyone knew the field would remain available for many years.

For information about the club, call Little at (360) 871-4965.

Joseph Coppo of the Kitsap County Department of Parks and Recreation, who located the flying field and negotiated the lease, said the McCormick property "has the markings of being a world-class site."
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Oct 22, 2001 at 12:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2001, 01:34 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
COOL! Sounds like a great site in the making. So, when's the first annual Kitsap ARCS Electric Fly-In??
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 17, 2001, 01:44 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,498 Posts
Looks like I might actually become a member of a flying club after all after being a Renegade Flier the last couple of years.
I've been flying with the ARCS at their Port Orchard interim field on occasion and a great bunch of folk that consider glow and E-power equally cool. "If it flies, it's ok with us." Got mobbed there when I first showed up with a 1600 NiMh fueled Zagi and turned in a 15 minute flight with acros.
I expect some of our locals to chime in here soon.

mw
Old Oct 17, 2001, 02:33 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Sounds Great! It's nice to hear about new fields after hearing about so many clubs losing theirs.

The first annual Kitsap ARCS Electric Fly-In, huh? I might be persuaded to drive to Oregon for that one. (Ummm... It is almost in Oregon, isn't it? ) I would like to find out about the dates for the various electric fly-ins around Seattle. The SASS club is getting ready to put together next year's schedule and they are looking for a date to sponsor an electric fly-in too. They also talked about hosting/helping with the Puget Sound Electic Fly-in if Bernard is getting tired of pulling the thing out of his hat each year.

Keep us up to date on the field's status. I would like to fly there after I get my plane back together. (It had a nasty run-in with a high start line, but that's a different story.)

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:45 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Congrats!
I'm envious. It is nice to hear a good story about a new club, vs what we are used to hearing.....a very few clubs discriminating or others being taken down.

Thanks,

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:52 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,333 Posts
Diablo Valley Radio Controllers get a new flying site!

Mark, thanks for posting this, I like to hear these sort of stories. Usually it's the other way around, with a club loosing it's field. Actually, I have another story that parallels this one. One of the clubs I belong to, the <a href=http://www.dvrc.org target=blank>Diablo Valley Radio Controllers</a> has just aquired a ten year lease on a 200 acre piece of property in Pittsburg CA (~30 miles East of San Francisco). You may have heard mention of us as we've hosted the Devil Mt. Electric Fly, put on by the <a href=http://www.concordmodelengineers.org target=blank>Concord Model Engineers</a>, another club I belong to. This was after a 20+ year seach and five temporary club moves. The site was an old WWII rifle range that has sat empty for some years. We sit in our own valley with no chances of any building anywhere around us. Plans are for a 500' X 30' asphalt runway, with a smaller crosswind runway. The property also includes a couple of great places to slope soar, and frequency laws have been added for this to our bylaws already. We're working toward a ground breaking party with the city officials, newspaper, and anyone else we can get out there that will draw attention. I'm thinking along the lines of asking the Boy Scouts in this county out for the day. We currently have 160 members, but once the news got out around here, we've starting to get a few people come in to check things out. There are <b>lots</b> of pics of this field, the work being done, and our old field on the <a href=http://www.dvrc.org target=blank>club website</a> (I'm also the acting webmaster there) both in it's raw stages, and 1 month after aquisition and cleanup. Everyone is welcome to come on out and look us over if you get some time! Please forgive me if I seem excited. I'm the vice pres. here and this project has taken on the appearance of a full time job for me.
Greg Gallegos
DVRC VP
cobrajet@jps.net
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Oct 17, 2001, 03:03 PM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wood [groundloop]
Looks like I might actually become a member of a flying club after all after being a Renegade Flier the last couple of years. . . . . . "If it flies, it's ok with us."

mw
Sounds like a good group. Members of my club have similar opinions, although some still talk about the "toy airplanes" ( in good humor, though, or at least I hope so).

Hope the club enjoys many, many years of flights.

Don
Old Oct 17, 2001, 03:08 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
I might be persuaded to drive to Oregon for that one. (Ummm... It is almost in Oregon, isn't it? )
You ARE kidding, right?? Look due West of ya just the other side of Ban-Bridge Island. Bremerton? I sure hope this will work. I'm going to call Marlin today and have a chat with him and get some details from The Man himself.

mw
Old Oct 17, 2001, 03:14 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Mark,
Thats great!! Looking forward to visiting your new field. Is it sailplane friendly?
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 17, 2001, 07:31 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
I would like to find out about the dates for the various electric fly-ins around Seattle. The SASS club is getting ready to put together next year's schedule and they are looking for a date to sponsor an electric fly-in too. They also talked about hosting/helping with the Puget Sound Electic Fly-in if Bernard is getting tired of pulling the thing out of his hat each year.

Silver
Here's the usual schedule:

12th(?) Annual Celebration of Silent Flight, Washougal, WA (just over the river from Portland, OR), first weekend in May (4th and 5th, 2002), CD Jerry Holcomb

Spring Chilliwack Fly-In, Chilliwack, BC, Memorial Day weekend (May 25th-27th, 2002), CD/Host, Ron Dodd

20th Annual (and final) PSEMF/RAMS Electric Fly-In, Sumner, WA, last full weekend in June (29th and 30th, 2002), CD Bernard Cawley. I plan for this to be the last year I'll run this meet, so if SASS wants to take over, I'd be willing to discuss it.

PSSF Electric Fly-In/salmon barbeque, Lacey, WA, mid August. I don't know who CDs this or exact dates.

Late Summer Chilliwack Fly-In, Chilliwack, BC, usually the weekend before Labor Day (which would be August 24th and 25th, 2002). CD/Host Ron Dodd.

There's a bit of room in July for a slot for the Kitsap ARCS to have a meet .

I've also put the Northwest Seaplane Championships at Pine Hollow reservoir near Wamic, Oregon on my personal schedule. This is a glow seaplane funfly, but Terry McGill puts up cash prizes for the top three finishing electrics. I got 2nd last year. This is the weekend after the 4th of July, typically, but this year was one weekend later as the 4th was on Wednesday. So I don't know whether it'll be the 6th and 7th or 13th and 14th next year.

I just learned that AirJer had another meet in Washougal on the first weekend in October. I'm sorry I didn't hear about it before today.

That's chancy on the weather, but it sounds like he got away with it. As I recall that was a nice weekend here.

An historical anecdote: The first annual Hawks/PSEMF Fly-In was in September, and was rained out! The eight of us who were there spent several hours inside the Boeing Employees Tennis Club building near the Kent plant hangar flying, but no airplanes actually got flown then. I moved the meet to June the second year, where it's been ever since.
Last edited by BEC; Oct 22, 2001 at 12:47 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 04:53 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
That is most excellent Loop

I'm really pleased for you and well done to the "powers that be" for providing this amenity - nice press coverage as well.

We are in the troes of having to relocate our club site at the moment (second time in five years) and it is not a task to be undertaken lightly. The present site is perfect for small electrics but a new public access has been opened which would entail us overflying walkers and bikers, so we need to move on safety grounds. Getting hold of a suitable piece of land is the hardest part - the rest of it just needs effort or money or both.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll make it a huge success.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 22, 2001, 12:47 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,498 Posts
The field!.
Thanks to Chris Hinz for the digipic!

mw
Old Oct 22, 2001, 12:50 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Looks like a great start!
Old Oct 22, 2001, 01:13 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
a good start? compared to the flying sites i'm used to, it's done!

how's the wind? seems like the trees all around might shield the field a bit from wind, at least close to the ground... good luck finding your plane if you lose it in that forest! might want to put radio transponders in your expensive models!
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 01, 2002, 11:54 PM
look the sun.....AHHHHHHH
Bremerton,WA
Joined Jul 2002
184 Posts
Any updates on this field? Im Just getting into the hobby And i will need a place to fly. Is it up and running yet?
Aaron13 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron13