HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:13 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Rascal 40 Axi Conversion

Im starting the conversion of my Rascal 40 Arf to electric power, using an AXI 2820/10, and 10 cell CP2400 packs. I really wish this airplane was offered as a kit, because i like to build, and theres some light ply up front that could be left out, and the firewall area isnt the best for an AXI brushless motor. First off, heres a pic of the stock nose area:
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:35 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,664 Posts
That's what I remember..... I look forward to seeing how you tackle this one.

Wish Slopenut would show us a pic of how he did his.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:38 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Do you know what the projected weight of this thing will be?

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:28 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
A subscription to this thread is a must!

Give us plenty of info/pictures on how you mount the motor - and the battery.

Very interesting!

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:24 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
Motor mount

Any motor any size.

www.EspritModel.com
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:24 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
One more

Good for AXI, Jeti, Mega, Hacker B50
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:37 AM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Re: Motor mount

Quote:
Originally posted by modest-master
Any motor any size.

www.EspritModel.com
What's the weight? I didn't see it on the site.

Thanks,
Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:40 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,664 Posts
Mr. Modest-master,

I know you mean well with your posts and your mounts are wonderful, but take another look at that Rascal 40 picture above.

That engine compartment isn't your typical cowl and firewall. It's a non-removable cowl that has the engine mount built into it. It's a very narrow area and the firewall is not accessable.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 19, 2003, 08:17 AM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
My AUW should be ~ 5 pounds, if Slope Nut's weight is correct. My mount hasnt arrived yet, so im going to start working on the battery access hatch. Ill post pics this afternoon. Modest-masters nice mounts wont work, without alot of cutting, because the hole in the front of the fuse and the width of the glow engine beam mounts is a little bit smaller than the diameter of the 2820/10. The front firewall is not made to supprt any weight, and is only 1/16 inch light ply. Im thinking about filing down the beam mounts and widening the hole in the front, then cutting the covering off on the nose and adding a piece of thicker light ply for the motor to mount directly on, then recovering. Ill post pics as soon as i make any progress.
Jonathan
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:21 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Consider useing a peice of angle aluminum. Screw one side to the preinstalled motor beams and the AXI onto the other sise ov the L-shaped angele.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:23 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Re: Re: Motor mount

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Data
What's the weight? I didn't see it on the site.

Thanks,
Dave
The Alu-emount will vary in weight slightly depending on how long the extensions are and whether you need to add aluminum shims but it comes in about 2.5-2.8ozs.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:49 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CAFplanekid
My AUW should be ~ 5 pounds,
Jonathan
That will be LITE!!!

I used to be sick of this plane as it appeared that the Glow monster Sig company was making a feble attempt at entering the elctric market, then repeating the same dull design in multiple sizes, however I had the pleasure of seeing one at SEFF and my opinion has change slightly and the plane is really starting to grow on me. I will watch this thread with anticipation.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:15 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Mar 2002
229 Posts
Rascal 40 electric

It's my favorite electric. I have been flying it for about a year, at elevations from 5000 to 8000 feet above sea level. I use a Mega 22/30/4 (940 k/v) with a 2.5:1 gearbox and 14x10 prop APC-e. The battery is 14 cells, 2800 mAH, but I am sure it would do fine with 12 cells. Total weight is 104 ounces. I routinely get 12-15 minutes of flight time, with loops from level flight and nice rolls. It has a great sound. It lands slowly, even at 104 ounces. The only problem is that the battery is hard to change, so I usually charge it in the airplane, while flying something else. There are other threads on Ezone about the Sig Rascal 40.
Donald Duck is offline Find More Posts by Donald Duck
Old Aug 19, 2003, 04:21 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Ive made a mount out of flat steel, the type used to build garage door opener frames. (like a huge erector set piece, really). Im going to go the hardware store and see if i can find some lighter aluminum and make a sort of T to bolt to the rails with an L at the other end to mount the motor on. Im adding a hatch, like in a previous thread, for battery access, and some hardwood mounting rails for the battery to secure on inside the fuse. Ill post pics when i start, im at school right now.
Jonathan
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:26 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Front plate mount

This is a pic of the motor mount i made to mount directly to the front of the airplane, with reinforcements to bolt it directly to the glow rail mounts. Sence it is going to be visible at the front of the airplane, i polished it to make it look like brushed metal. It looks really nice in real life.