HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:39 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goofup

My T-Hawk (virtually the same plane with a fiberglass body like the Aerobird) was destroyed after the 6th crash.
goofup:

Are we talking about the same Tiger Hawk? Fiberglass body??? The T-Hawk I am speaking of is this one http://www.toytx.com/thawk3chrtf.html It has a flexible polypropylene body with a 380 motor.

Mine has a wrinkled body from quite a few - many more than 6 - nose-in "landings" but it is far from destroyed. You would have to do something very far out to break the carbon fiber rod fuse or the tail feathers.

I have put a few dings in the wing (hitting poles tends to do that) and taken a few chunks out of the trailing edge of the wing when the rubber bands broke and the wing pivoted into the still spinning prop, but it still flies and has little if any epoxy added in the way of repairs. A TM or SS would not be so lucky.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2003, 06:26 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
Same plane. The body was "unflyable" and the carbon boom was broken in a separate incident. I got parts, but could not get it back together in flyable condition (servo, servo tray, control rod, etc. problems).

All I'm saying is that a "first" plane and a "wind" plane shouldn't be the the same plane. Of course we all want to fly whenever we get the urge, regardless of the wind. We all know it's much easier to learn on a slow flying plane when it's calm. And that it's harder to learn on a fast flying plane in the wind. This is the choice the beginner has to make. It's his plane and his learning curve.

Hey, I hate wind too. I'm building a plane right now that will handle some wind. But I won't fly if it's over 10 mph, or if it's over 100 degrees. To me, it's just not that much fun.
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
Last edited by goofup; Aug 23, 2003 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:30 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
What I have noticed using different battery packs in the T-H (OEM seven cell 600 mAh NiCd, 2S2P 1200 mAh E-tech, 2S2P video cam LiPo, eight cell 650 CPB NiMH, seven cell NiMh and eight cell 1050 KAN NiMH) is that the heavier the pack, both the faster it flies and the better it penetrates the wind due to higher wing loading.

One of the nice things about the T-H is that by using different weight packs, I can adjust the weight to fly in winds from 0 up to about 10-12 mph (as read on a digital wind meter). There are some minor CG issues, but within the packs mentioned above it flies very well.

I guess what I am saying is that if you fly the T-H with a light battery in light winds it makes an excellent "first" plane (the 8 cell CPB 650's seem to be the best for a beginner - lots of power to get you out of trouble, light and reasonable duration).

As you crash less you can go to heavier packs and fly in some wind. I tried learning in 5 - 8 mph wind and it was frustrating. No wind is much better, but depending upon where you live, you may not have much choice and in that case the T-H is still a good first plane - with the right pack. Your mileage may vary.

FoamCrusher
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher