HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2003, 06:46 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
Few of the trainers I recommend for new pilots!

In a slowflyer category nothing can beat the Slowstick. This plane flies well in calm conditions but can be difficult to control in the slightest breeze.

If you are looking for something that looks as if you are flying a real airplane then you should look at the Superstar Ep. It's a hobbico model, flies pretty well in stock form but if you want to increase the flight time then switch it from a direct drive to a gearbox. The average flight times can be in between 8 to 10 minutes with the gearbox. The plane can easily handle 10 MPH winds in beginners hand. Recommended setup is Great planes 2:5:1 gearbox and 11x7 APC propeller.

For pushers: something like the "new" T-hawk and the aerobird would make an excellent choice to start with. These planes will survive most crashes and can handle winds upto 10 mph.

Sky scooter Pro II (Trim it 3 click right from the radio and 3 clicks down which would make the elevator go up) will also be a good plane to learn on. I actually love the way this baby flies. Most people don't recommend it. But in my views once it is trimmed it flies just like a trainer. Very very durable!

Dandy available through mountainmodels is another plane I recommend. It is very easy to build and flies just as good as it looks.
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Last edited by someone special; Aug 18, 2003 at 07:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Re: Few of the trainers I recommend for new pilots!

Quote:
Originally posted by someone special
. . . . . (with the 3 trims to the right aileron and 3 down trims to the elevator) . . . .
You lost me on that one!! Maybe for your specific model, but surely not for all, right???

I'm afraid noob's will really get confused by that statement!!

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:29 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
I will make the corrections to make it more clear.. Yes it may not be required for all SS Pro II planes. Get the trims as close to these: The left aileron on the wing should be level with the airfoil and the right aileron should be up.

The elevator as stated in the manual should have 3 clicks of down trim from the neutral position. Nothing was stated in the manual about the aileron so that's why I gave my calculations. If your comes differently trimmed then make sure it is something similar to what I have written above
Last edited by someone special; Aug 18, 2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:43 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Do you mean after the plane has been trimmed for straight, level flight you do the 3-click thingy??

Again, I would think it would vary with each model.

I'm still confused!!!

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:48 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
No these are pre flight checks. I was referring to sky scooter Pro II only! The pro II won't fly if it is not trimmed properly.
I hope I am clear now.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:05 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Tiger Moth

Sam:

What? No mention of a GWS Tiger Moth!?

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:46 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
The "new" T-Hawk, Aerobird (which I don't recommend), and Superstar EP (covered balsa which may be hard for a beginner to repair) as you say can all be flown in 10 mph winds. However, beginners should not assume that they can learn to fly in 10 mph winds! They can fly these planes in those kinds of winds after they've learned how to fly in calm winds. Otherwise, it's gonna be like trying to learn to swim in the Colorado river.

Count me as one the "most people" against the Sky Scooter Pro as a first plane.

Slow Stick (or Pico Stick if you can't find a SS), or Tiger Moth.
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:04 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
T-52 from JK Aerotech beats all of these hands down. There is basically nothing thats more durable. Heck, I'm still using the wing after I cut it down to 44 inches on a model that weighs twice as much as the T-52.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Aug 19, 2003, 03:19 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
Sorry I forgot the TM. Although being an experienced pilot I just can't leave my TM behind while flying my other planes. Sig Jenny is another good plane. But both of these planes are pretty fragile compared to other planes I've listed.

Superstar Ep, Yes it is a beginner plane and will survive minor crashes. Has durable construction. All planes have their day. Goofup: with the superstar 10 MPH will look like 3~5 MPH. so beginners will have no problems flying it. My brother flies it easily who hasn't even touched an R/C plane before.

I haven't flown the T-52 so I don't know much about it. But from what I've heard with a good power system it is unbeatable. Durability is another department this plane scores!

The reason I am saying Sky scooter as a beginner plane is because it flies well. It will take the abuse until you get the trim right. Yes It's an aileron plane but why can't it be your first plane? I am talking of experience which is about the Sky scooter Pro II. It has a good power system with a good climb rate and lands pretty slowly.

Yeah one should not go for the T-HAWK and Aerobird IF they wish to stay in this hobby for a long time. Otherwise I don't see why it can't be a plane to start on. Especially T-hawk, you'll solo it before you use all the spare parts.

I might have forgotten many trainers so keep updating them
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:27 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
"""Slow Stick (or Pico Stick if you can't find a SS), or Tiger Moth""

An ARF Merlin is another superb slowflyer trainer. It's a perfect substitute for SS if you can't find any which is very unlikely
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:00 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goofup
The "new" T-Hawk, Aerobird (which I don't recommend),
Do you mean that you don't recommend the T-Hawk or the Aerobird or both?

I taught myself how to fly in a rather windy area with a modified version of the T-Hawk.

Don't even try with the old stock set up of an AM Tx and off/on throttle. Use a good FM transmitter/receiver (Hitech Neon or Flash 4/5 and 555 Rx) and a decent speed control so you have other than an off/on throttle and it is one tough bird. With some packing tape on the leading edge of the wing (it comes with 2 wings and two tails plus several props) I have augered it in from 100 feet up and it still flys!

After I got the hang of the T-Hawk, I moved on to a T-IFO, another almost bullet proof plane that can be converted to alerons or full house.

I still take the T-Hawk out when the wind comes up and with an 8 cell KAN 650 or KAN 1050 pack and it has enough wing loading to fly very well - just not in a small area. It is NOT a plane to learn on in less than two soccer fields - just too fast. You can learn on the T-IFO on a baseball field, but it requires less windy days.

If I were to start out again, I would go with the T-IFO first and then the T-Hawk, but you have to build the T-IFO (carbon rod tied with CA soaked Kevlar thread) and the T-Hawk is ARF.

FoamCrusher
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:36 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
I learned on the FBXL. If the Aerobird had been on the market at the time, I would have been even more delighted!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Aug 21, 2003, 06:47 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
My first plane was the "old" T-Hawk. Bad radio, way too fast, and you don't repair parts- you replace them$. (The fibergalass body planes are "durable"... for a while.) The "new" T-Hawk will be better than the old one, but a s l o w flying plane is much easier to learn on. I don't recommend the Aerobird for the same reasons, but it's even worse cause it manuvers like a pig in the air.

A T-52 flies nice, but any plane that's completely taped up is "durable". Take the tape off and you have a normal foamie- and a prop-first belly lander at that. (Sorry, planes that land prop-first on their belly just doesn't make any sense to me.)

There are many trainers that beginners could get, but I still think a Slow Stick is the best.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:04 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
""The "new" T-Hawk will be better than the old one, but a s l o w flying plane is much easier to learn on. I don't recommend the Aerobird for the same reasons, but it's even worse cause it manuvers like a pig in the air""

A slowflyer is the best choice for the new pilots and I completely agree on that. but what about beginners frustration to fly in winds upto 5-10 MPH?? The stock SS,TM, Merlin can never do that. There are other planes in the market which can do that and be so called as trainers at the same time.
T-52, hmm tape is the issue ok, then remove the carbon fiber sticks from the SS and merlins wing then lets see which one would be more durable.

If a beginner pilot has the patience to stay indoors with SS,TM,Merlin then go for them because they will train you very well. If not then why not start with with something that is called as a trainer, fly in winds upto 5-10 MPH and be fun at the same time. I am sure I am not the only one, I know the frustration to stay indoors when it doesn't look that windy but you have to stay due to these planes.

I don't think SS, TM, Merlin in stock form can take as much abuse as the T-hawk and aerobird. Even a slightest imperfect landing will bend the shafts and break the propellers.

Life doesn't end with SS,TM, Merlin. There are plenty of other trainers too, give them a chance.

I see many beginners wishing to fly fast planes like P-51, spitfire after graduating from TM, Merlin and SS but they can't due to lack of experience of something that is relatively faster than these slowflyers.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:02 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
I agree that a SS or TM can't fly in 10 mph winds (they only fly 5-7 mph). After a beginner has learned how to fly in the first place, then he can get a 20+mph plane that can handle that kind of wind and fly all he wants. Sometimes the question isn't whether the plane can "handle some wind"... the question is: can you?

My T-Hawk (virtually the same plane with a fiberglass body like the Aerobird) was destroyed after the 6th crash. I've crashed my TM many times and cartwheeled it twice. Only 1 small cut in the wing and 2 broken props. It's a lot tougher than people give it credit for.

Beginners: I know it's tempting but save that P-51 for your third or even fourth plane!