HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
Registered User
Haggerty00's Avatar
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Did even more flying today. I think if my standard sized corsair flies anything like this one I should have no trouble on training day. As im getting more comfortable with the controller I am doing better stunts and I only had one crash...bad depth perception, thought I had a light pole clear and slammed right into it, only damage was half of an aileron servo was coming loose, still flew fine. Got it home now and its got gorilla glue setting.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
xlrDALLAS's Avatar
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
i love the look of this bird, i have all the pz um,s like them all, but after flying the beast i dont think ill fly the other ums much, the beast is that much better, but this bird looks good sitting on my desk
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 08:04 PM
Registered User
Haggerty00's Avatar
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
If you use CA on these make sure its foam safe. I ate some of my horizontal stabilizer, luckily it wasnt bad and I refilled the gap with gorilla glue
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 08:59 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggerty00 View Post
More flying this afternoon
Ahaha cute pics but hand launch #1 and #2 don't look like they went so well! Lol..
norco kid is offline Find More Posts by norco kid
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
Registered User
tamiyafan1975's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
666 Posts
I haven't made the step to the corsair yet, but It's really tempting. I'm at a toss up between it or the beast. How is the handling on the corsair? Like the T-28 UM at all?
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
Registered User
Haggerty00's Avatar
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norco kid View Post
Ahaha cute pics but hand launch #1 and #2 don't look like they went so well! Lol..
Yeah, she beat me to the plane when I downed it and wouldnt give it up. I tried to take it but she ripped part of the tail so I let her play around with it for awhile...she was trying to launch it like me, but no throttle of course.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 01:39 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyafan1975 View Post
I haven't made the step to the corsair yet, but It's really tempting. I'm at a toss up between it or the beast. How is the handling on the corsair? Like the T-28 UM at all?
Tamiyafan,

The T-28 flies like an aileron trainer. The F4U requires a bit more skill than the T-28 or P-51. The Beast flies better than any UM that's currently available. In fact, it flies more like its 100cc big brother than a 1.6oz foamie. It is not for inexperienced pilots. The upcoming UMX Sbach will be even more precise than the Beast, and it will also take the title away from the XP as the best UM in the wind. Top speed with a Hyperion 240 mAh 2s pack & 5043 will also be higher than a similarly-equipped Beast. Plus - it will be nearly as durable as the XP - which is currently the most durable full-fuse UM.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 05:17 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Yesterday, I flew my Champ as a "warm-up" the flew 3 batteries through my T-28 because I'd installed a Solo Pro motor in her.
I decided to fly the Champ again for some additional video, but by the time I was done, the winds had arrived.

Even though they were only 7-10MPH, that was the end of my plans to fly the Corsair. I'm just finding no joy or relaxation flying this plane in any kind of wind at all.

I think it's the sharpest-looking of the PZ micros and rivals the P-51D in its speed, but there's no way I'm going to turn this beautiful warbird model into a clunky mass of glue, tape and toothpicks just because I'm too impatient to wait for some wind-free weather.

I wish it was a wind-handling monster like the Champ or T-28, but I guess if you want the speed and more precise handling, you're going to lose some of that softer side - and who wants a Corsair with a ton of dihedral? It just wouldn't look scale.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Yesterday, I flew my Champ as a "warm-up" the flew 3 batteries through my T-28 because I'd installed a Solo Pro motor in her.
I decided to fly the Champ again for some additional video, but by the time I was done, the winds had arrived.

Even though they were only 7-10MPH, that was the end of my plans to fly the Corsair. I'm just finding no joy or relaxation flying this plane in any kind of wind at all.

I think it's the sharpest-looking of the PZ micros and rivals the P-51D in its speed, but there's no way I'm going to turn this beautiful warbird model into a clunky mass of glue, tape and toothpicks just because I'm too impatient to wait for some wind-free weather.

I wish it was a wind-handling monster like the Champ or T-28, but I guess if you want the speed and more precise handling, you're going to lose some of that softer side - and who wants a Corsair with a ton of dihedral? It just wouldn't look scale.
MaladroitFL,

I agree - the F4U isn't the UM plane to fly in the wind. If it had a semi-symmetrical or symmetrical airfoil, it would handle the wind much better. Look at the XP - it is fast and precise, plus it handles far more wind than the other 1s UM planes - primarily due to the symmetrical airfoil.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
MaladroitFL,

I agree - the F4U isn't the UM plane to fly in the wind. If it had a semi-symmetrical or symmetrical airfoil, it would handle the wind much better. Look at the XP - it is fast and precise, plus it handles far more wind than the other 1s UM planes - primarily due to the symmetrical airfoil.

Joel
Can anyone take a look at their model and tell me if the prop angle is 90-degrees to the face of the fuselage?
I know there's a right-leaning tilt to compensate for torque roll, but on my UM Champ and T-28 there's a lot of "down force" i.e. the prop is tilted forward to keep it from rising and, I'd assume, to push air up & under the dihedral wings for additional lift/stability.

But does the Corsair have this? Mine is straight up & down and tilted slightly right. Just wondering if one of my crashes has changed things.

BTW, I now have a stock T-28 Trojan prop on the F4U -- I want to see what the additional air will do. It absolutely pushes a heckuva lotta air back as compared to our 3-bladed dog.

I'd fly it and report back, but we're getting some massive winds and thunder/lightning and rain.....
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Can anyone take a look at their model and tell me if the prop angle is 90-degrees to the face of the fuselage?
I know there's a right-leaning tilt to compensate for torque roll, but on my UM Champ and T-28 there's a lot of "down force" i.e. the prop is tilted forward to keep it from rising and, I'd assume, to push air up & under the dihedral wings for additional lift/stability.

But does the Corsair have this? Mine is straight up & down and tilted slightly right. Just wondering if one of my crashes has changed things.

BTW, I now have a stock T-28 Trojan prop on the F4U -- I want to see what the additional air will do. It absolutely pushes a heckuva lotta air back as compared to our 3-bladed dog.

I'd fly it and report back, but we're getting some massive winds and thunder/lightning and rain.....
My F4U also has a small amount of down-thrust & right-thrust. BTW - down-thrust doesn't add stability or lift. It simply compensates for a given airframe's tendency to balloon when power is applied. Thrust offsets are specific to the airframe design.

The T-28, P-51, XP, Champ, and UMX Extra 300D share the same prop - although the spinners may differ. At 5.1" x 2.76", it performs similarly to GWS 5030 - just a bit slower. Still - it's a huge improvement over the stock prop.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
Fledgling Modeller
Arkitekt's Avatar
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2010
180 Posts
Picked up my Corsair the other day, looks pretty slick, hope it flys just as good. Going to be using TP and Hyp 160's in it, and have already created some servo protectors for the aileron exposed servos.

MaladroitFL, are the dx6i DR & Expo settings you posted a few pages back still current? or have you tweaked them a bit?

Also, other then then servo protector mod and possibly changing out the prop/prop shaft to the T-28's; is there any other recommend mod's that some of you have come up with?
Arkitekt is offline Find More Posts by Arkitekt
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitekt View Post
Picked up my Corsair the other day, looks pretty slick, hope it flys just as good. Going to be using TP and Hyp 160's in it, and have already created some servo protectors for the aileron exposed servos.

MaladroitFL, are the dx6i DR & Expo settings you posted a few pages back still current? or have you tweaked them a bit?

Also, other then then servo protector mod and possibly changing out the prop/prop shaft to the T-28's; is there any other recommend mod's that some of you have come up with?
Arkitekt,

There is no reason to switch the propshaft. The 130mm x 70mm two-blade prop will improve speed & thrust. However.....if you want true warbird performance, try the 5043 prop & a Hyp 180 or 240 cell.

Some of the airframes are still a bit tail-heavy with the TP/Hyp 160 cells at the front of the slot. The Hyp 180 & 240 cells make it easy to get the CG right without adding dead-weight. Talk to RCBabbel.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 01:00 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Arkitekt,

There is no reason to switch the propshaft. The 130mm x 70mm two-blade prop will improve speed & thrust. However.....if you want true warbird performance, try the 5043 prop & a Hyp 180 or 240 cell.

Some of the airframes are still a bit tail-heavy with the TP/Hyp 160 cells at the front of the slot. The Hyp 180 & 240 cells make it easy to get the CG right without adding dead-weight. Talk to RCBabbel.

Joel
I agree that the plane needs weight or it's tail heavy. A bigger battery is my next mod.

The T-28 prop experiment was a total bust.
I can see that it "smoothed out" but man it was loud and obnoxious! It also LOST power; maybe 25% less speed and this equated to worse handling in the wind, which was about 5-6 mph in this test.

I can see that the plane would improve with a 5043, but definitely not the stock T-28/Champ prop!

BTW, after reinstalling the 3-blade? She quieted right down again to normal volume.

Testing the new F4U Corsair with a T-28/Champ 2-blade prop to see if it improves handling.
What I got was a lot of noise and a plane that moved at about 3/4 speed.

PZ ultra-micro F4U Corsair: 2-Blade Test (5 min 11 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Aloha,
Got my Corsair about 2 weeks ago and put on all of 3 flights. Bound at zero trims to a fresh model on my 9303 (always use a fresh/default model with BNF’s ~my PSA). Accidentally flew with 100%DR's and LIN EXPO for maiden in 0-5mph wind. Only needed 1click"up". I'm lucky since the one I have flies quite neutral.

Performance- Gull wing has different characteristics than the other micros- very responsive verticals and tight turns. As for power....it is the weakest of the UM’s I've flown (SU-26m, P51D & Beast). Acrobatics must be planned and coincide with the wind direction. The 3 blade prop is supposed to give better thrust but less speed. Outdoors, it does little good.

Conclusion- After flying the Beast and 2S Modded SU-26m and P51D, the Corsair is seriously lacking power in an outdoor environment. However, it would probably fly quite nice in an indoor gym.

Plan- HobbyKing AP03 4000kv Brushless Micro Motor (3.1g), GWS EP Propeller (DD-3020 82x50mm), XP3A ESC, Carbon fiber plate or Ply motor mount, E-flite 1.5mm Prop Adapter (EFLM1933), and TP 1S 160mAh or TP 1S 125mAh x2 with Series connector. May need a XP7A ESC with 2S setup.

Any questions or protests?
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade MCP X - owner's thread rchelijc Micro Helis 12978 Jul 01, 2014 11:15 PM
Discussion Parkzone vs.BlitzRCWorks F4U Corsair (which one) wjohnson1186 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 21 Nov 05, 2012 01:55 PM
Discussion Parkzone f4u corsair VS Airfield f4u corsair Hoopsta17_99 Electric Warbirds 54 Mar 16, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion Difference between Parkzone's different Ultra Micro planes? bunger Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 21 Jul 10, 2011 03:32 PM
New Product New Ultra Micro F4U Corsair BNF by ParkZone P-51C Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Feb 23, 2011 10:27 AM