SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Flew mine the other day at the park, no gear, she flew great, just shy of 7hrs total flight time with her. 2nd flight we used her to get an Altitude read out of my buddy's Alula (my F4U has the Telemetry Module). I had fun gliding/soaring down from 500+ feet AGL
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:10 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,890 Posts
Whooooa!! 7hrs?? How many batteries did it take to achieve that much airtime in one session? That is pretty darn impressive for a 42 gram-16 inch wingspan model. What telemetry gear are you carrying on this micro flyer? Stock motor?

-Cub
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Ooooops, need to pay attention a bit more huh, sorry guys, it's the big brother Corsair that has 7hrs of flight time & the Spektrum Telemetry module, the ParkZone F4U, ouch, sorry...but I do have just shy of 3hrs with with his little sister for a total of 30 flights.

The 2nd flight I hand launched & before I new it the wind flipped her over and slammed her on the ground. The damage was a broken wing. So thanks to John Redman's How To Video I replaced the wing & all is well!!

With the help of Joel (Turboparker here in RCGroups) i run 180mAh Babbel Batts in her along with a 5043 prop, everything else is stock.

I apologize again guys, sorry for any excitement I may have caused!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Anybody still flying these?
I've had mine in storage for a few months because the wing cracks have weakened it to the point where they flex upward during normal flight. Hard turns make 'em look like they're about to fold up!
Anyone?
I still fly mine and it is my favorite micro. There have been quite a few "incidents" that resulted in cracked wings, but 5 min epoxy always did the trick. You can use one strip of 3/4" wide stranded fiberglass tape on the underside of the wings to take out the flex. Bend the wings downwards and then apply the tape. That way the tape is already under tension when the pressure is released. An extra set of hands makes this easy.

I use a Hyperion 250 mah battery that slips into a home-made battery tray...no velcro.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,088 Posts
Hey guys I just picked one of these to fly at work durning my non smoke breaks

I have a sweet 74in ESM Corsair with DLE55RA with 3 Blade prop. so I like them fast.

Are there any motor mods for this bird?

Links?

It needs more speed.

Thanks Mike
mikes68charger is online now Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Yes too bad it doesn't have more power. The 2 blade prop is definitely better than the 3 blade. Some people swear by the GWS 5043 prop, but I couldn't tell any difference between it and the stock 2 blade prop. If you do a search on this thread for "Bravo" you will see there is a drop in replacement motor that is supposed to have more power, and enough power to push that 5043 prop.

Some people are thrilled with the new motor and some say it wasn't much of a big deal. There is so much variability from one motor to the next, even when they are new. The general consensus is the Bravo motor is a little better but it still doesn't turn this plane into a rocket.

If you search for "brushless" you will find info about putting a 2s brushless motor in the Corsair. That would definitely provide a quantum leap in power and speed, but would also add a fair bit of weight. I have other planes that go fast, and I kind of like the light floaty quality of this little Corsair. Maybe someday I will try one of those Bravo motors.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
I hit a light ploe with mine this morning. Snapped the wing right at the root. I bought it used on RCG's. It's seen better days so I'll probably just gut it.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Gluing a wing back on is not too hard. I have fixed a couple of serious cracks and one completely severed wing on the UM Corsair. That is the beauty of foam airplanes. This summer I lost my larger parkflyer Corsair in the sun and had a devastating crash. I had to ask one of the guys at the field for a garbage bag because I didn't have one. I gathered up all the large and small pieces and put them in.

I couldn't bear to look at it for about 3 weeks, and had basically decided that it was toast. Then one rainy day I opened that bag and started putting the pieces together. Now it doesn't look as good as it used to...but it flies as well as ever!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Yes too bad it doesn't have more power. The 2 blade prop is definitely better than the 3 blade. Some people swear by the GWS 5043 prop, but I couldn't tell any difference between it and the stock 2 blade prop. If you do a search on this thread for "Bravo" you will see there is a drop in replacement motor that is supposed to have more power, and enough power to push that 5043 prop.

Some people are thrilled with the new motor and some say it wasn't much of a big deal. There is so much variability from one motor to the next, even when they are new. The general consensus is the Bravo motor is a little better but it still doesn't turn this plane into a rocket.
I have other planes that go fast, and I kind of like the light floaty quality of this little Corsair. Maybe someday I will try one of those Bravo motors.

I have Bravo SX motors in my F4U, T-28 and a Champ. It has a deeper sound and is supposed to garner an extra 30% more power over the stock Corsair motor.
It also eats lipos. You'll need a 180-240mah to get the performance and flight times. I use those $2 Sky Lipos from HobbyPartz. You can get a 200 or 210mah for $2.05 and a 250 for just a little more ($2.20?)
They don't fit in the tray, so I use a piece of foam, glued to the battery and then I stick velcro on the foam. I also secure it with a black rubber band, which you can't see at all against the dark navy blue.

Anyway, you can get a Nine Eagles Solo Pro motor, which is about the same power as the stock F4U motor, but lasts for hundreds of flights (quality!) or go with the Nine Eagles Bravo SX motor (<-- link) and get the extra power.

You will not experience the additional power until you break-in the motor!
I seem to recall it took about 20-25 flights before I noticed a HUGE difference in power.

Remember that you need to switch out the pinion gear, so you'll need a mini gear puller or you can order them from RCBabbel with the correct gear and UM plug end.

It is absolutely worth the change over. Your Corsair will soar!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2004
298 Posts
Hey folks. I picked up one of these at my LHS yesterday. Now I'm a fairly experienced pilot but this is my first ultra micro. When I first plugged in the battery and bound the aircraft (Dx6i TX) the aileron servos started giving off a mighty chattering, buzzy, morse code like sound. The control surfaces weren't moving at all but I could see the gears in the servos were "twitching" sort of back and forth. It just didn't sound right to my ears, but since the control surfaces and throttle seem to work just fine I decided to give her a try. Upon takeoff I found that there is a SERIOUS leftward roll that I can't recover from. I'm aware of the effects of motor torque and have many planes that experience this same effect, usually a bit of right aileron will get them up just fine. Not the case here. Even with full right aileron it rolls left and stays that way. Now I could probably adjust the control rods to make up for it, but I was more concerned about the buzzing from the servos. Does any of this sound normal to the flyers here?

My plane is fine (no damage) but I'm considering taking it back to the LHS for a swap. My follow on question is, they don't have any more corsairs...this seems to fly pretty twitchy from what I've seen, so does the UM T-28 or P-51 fly any easier? I'm not partial to the corsair (though it is lovely looking) and just want an honest appraisal of its flight characteristics compared to these other two.

Thanks for any guidance you fine folks can pass my way!
Gizzmo0411 is offline Find More Posts by Gizzmo0411
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0411 View Post
Hey folks. I picked up one of these at my LHS yesterday. Now I'm a fairly experienced pilot but this is my first ultra micro. When I first plugged in the battery and bound the aircraft (Dx6i TX) the aileron servos started giving off a mighty chattering, buzzy, morse code like sound. The control surfaces weren't moving at all but I could see the gears in the servos were "twitching" sort of back and forth. It just didn't sound right to my ears, but since the control surfaces and throttle seem to work just fine I decided to give her a try. Upon takeoff I found that there is a SERIOUS leftward roll that I can't recover from. I'm aware of the effects of motor torque and have many planes that experience this same effect, usually a bit of right aileron will get them up just fine. Not the case here. Even with full right aileron it rolls left and stays that way. Now I could probably adjust the control rods to make up for it, but I was more concerned about the buzzing from the servos. Does any of this sound normal to the flyers here?

My plane is fine (no damage) but I'm considering taking it back to the LHS for a swap. My follow on question is, they don't have any more corsairs...this seems to fly pretty twitchy from what I've seen, so does the UM T-28 or P-51 fly any easier? I'm not partial to the corsair (though it is lovely looking) and just want an honest appraisal of its flight characteristics compared to these other two.

Thanks for any guidance you fine folks can pass my way!
The chattering is (to an extent) normal. Now, if you can, try to find the newer version of the Corsair with the 25C battery and 2030 AS3X-compatible servos. Those two upgrades make a world of a difference.

I haven't flown the T-28 but I hear its a good aileron trainer. The P-51 is fast, nimble, and toylike in the maneuvers you can rip out of it. You have to fly the Corsair authoritatively, like a warbird is meant to be flown.

Have you considered the Spitfire Mark IX? I have one and it is an excellent UM.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
The chattering is (to an extent) normal. Now, if you can, try to find the newer version of the Corsair with the 25C battery and 2030 AS3X-compatible servos. Those two upgrades make a world of a difference.

I haven't flown the T-28 but I hear its a good aileron trainer. The P-51 is fast, nimble, and toylike in the maneuvers you can rip out of it. You have to fly the Corsair authoritatively, like a warbird is meant to be flown.

Have you considered the Spitfire Mark IX? I have one and it is an excellent UM.
Ok...that's good to hear. I've just never heard servos make that kind of noise...is there any known way to stop it? Only because it's annoying more than anything else.

The LHS does have a Spitfire which I was looking at...nice looking plane. But they don't have any that are AS3X compatible. I can order one of course, but I'm not familiar with the technology. What does it do exactly?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Ok...that's good to hear. I've just never heard servos make that kind of noise...is there any known way to stop it? Only because it's annoying more than anything else.

The LHS does have a Spitfire which I was looking at...nice looking plane. But they don't have any that are AS3X compatible. I can order one of course, but I'm not familiar with the technology. What does it do exactly?
AS3X is basically a 3 axis gyro, it stabilizes micros out a lot so you can fly in more wind without it getting all thrown around, and makes it fly somewhat like a larger plane in general. The servo noise is just the nature of these tiny linear servos apparently. You get used to it.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2004
298 Posts
Well I figured out one of my problems...the hard roll to the left on takeoff...yeah...its not because of torque...

The problem you ask? Faulty pilot!

I had my aileron servo switch in reverse...No I'm not a newbie...yes I've been flying aileron aircraft for more than 10 years...(no I'm not "special")...I just had a good old fashioned, run of the mill brain fart.

Good grief. In other news...the plane flies great. It was a VERY slight bit tail heavy, so I just added a small ball of modeling clay to the bottom of the cowl and viola, flies like a champ.

Nifty little aircraft this. I can see the attraction to the Ultra Micro series. We've got a fly in at the local coliseum in March, I might have to aquire a few more of these models...especially now that you've clued me into the AS3X thing...I'm very curious to see how that works.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Well I figured out one of my problems...the hard roll to the left on takeoff...yeah...its not because of torque...

The problem you ask? Faulty pilot!

I had my aileron servo switch in reverse...

I might have to aquire a few more of these models...especially now that you've clued me into the AS3X thing...I'm very curious to see how that works.
Yikkes, glad to hear you figured it out!

And as far as AS3X goes.... I think it's GREAT!! I have the AS3X MiG 15 EDF (my 1st EDF as well as my 1st AS3X plane) & it is so nice to fly! Especially in windy conditions! She slices thru the air like butter and handles like a larger park flyer! I think you'll enjoy how AS3X aircraft handles