Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Township
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I just bought a set of used umx cc electronics for my corsair. I changed the ail servos, board and added the BL motor. Ihaven't tried to fly it yet but I hope a;; goes well.
Tommy21781xxx is offline Find More Posts by Tommy21781xxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
woah - does "CC" stand for "Carbon Cub?" Are you saying you converted yours to an AS3X brushless, 2S set up??
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy21781xxx View Post
I just bought a set of used umx cc electronics for my corsair. I changed the ail servos, board and added the BL motor. Ihaven't tried to fly it yet but I hope a;; goes well.
WOW, that should be fun to fly, especially in higher winds!!! Let us know how that AS3X works out!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Yup as3x and 2s.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
LOL, I didn't even catch the "2s" part, duh, since the CC runs on 2s!! Even better!!! Hope you can get video of your flight also!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
be curious how that wing holds up! That's a lot of weight and a lot of power. PICTURES PLEASE!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:17 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I just got a couple SX motors from RC babbel - can't wait to throw one in the Corsair to see what a difference it makes in power! I'll let you know!
I'm looking forward to hearing your report on the SX motor. The 2s brushless setup sounds tempting, but it would turn it into a rocket and it's not really built for that. Once in a while I put a 1s 500 mah in mine on windy days, and even the extra weight stresses the wing out, and bends the landing gear on landings. Having extra weight and extra power might be too much.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing your report on the SX motor. The 2s brushless setup sounds tempting, but it would turn it into a rocket and it's not really built for that. Once in a while I put a 1s 500 mah in mine on windy days, and even the extra weight stresses the wing out, and bends the landing gear on landings. Having extra weight and extra power might be too much.
Interesting experience with the SX motor (I'm also using 180 mAh Hyperions). I put the SX motors in my UM mustang and my UM Corsair. Initially, I did not change out props, though I knew my current ones were a bit out of balance (and probably a few mm shorter than original due to some prop strikes on landing!).

Took the Mustang out first and my first reaction was a bit of disppointment. There may have been some difference, but it was very little. At that point (keep reading) my only positive is that they are supposed to last longer, so at least there was one benefit.

Took the corsair out next, and again, had the same reaction. Maybe a little more power, not a lot. BUT THEN . . . .

The mustang was so loud that I finally decided to replace the prop with a new one . . . . And suddenly the thing is an absolute ROCKET. The vertical isn't unlimited, but it isn't lacking, either. In fact, in the area I fly (which is surrounded by thick,tall trees on three sides and my house on the other), I suddenly feel a bit clausterphobic.

I took the corsair back out today - still have not changed props because the current one isn't as bad as the Mustang's was - and am not feeling like the difference is noticeable. SO, either the airframe needs a lot more than a motor upgrade, the prop is the issue (testing that next), or there is a difference between the two motors. I suspect that the second possiblity is the strongest - but I'll keep you posted.

As for the SX motors - I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend reachig out to Roger (RC Babbel on this forum). Send in your old burned out motor (he'll need the 9 tooth gear off of it) and he'll send you the converted Bravo SX. He's an AWESOME guy to work with and does great work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,878 Posts
What kind of props are you using? I heard so much about the GWS 5043 props and Hyperion batteries and when they arrived in the mail, I was so excited. It was disappointing to see that neither the Mustang or the Corsair suddenly jumped to life. I can't say there is really a difference in performance between the Mustang prop and the 5043. I also can't say there is really a difference between the Hyperion and stock batteries in terms of performance. They do charge faster and come down cooler, so they are worth it just for that.

No problem. I have other planes that can take care of the need for speed. It's just that these micros would be so awesome with just a bit more power.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Agreed on the hyperions - I had EXACTLY the same experience you did - just switched from tenerygy 160mAh batts to some hyperion 180's and was expecting a big difference. What I've found is that they are basically identical in the first minute or two, but the tenergy loses about 10% of it's power after that.

The props I'm using are the stock mustang prop - 130x70's. I'd like to try a GWS 5043 to compare, but haven't done it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I took the as3x/2s f4u out for the first time today and it held up fine. I need to adjust everything but it flew fine. After the flight I realized that I had the prop on backwards. I flew it in 10 to 15 mph winds and it was pretty stable.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy21781xxx View Post
I took the as3x/2s f4u out for the first time today and it held up fine. I need to adjust everything but it flew fine. After the flight I realized that I had the prop on backwards. I flew it in 10 to 15 mph winds and it was pretty stable.
Can't wait to see pics. Any additional detail? How did the AS3X react? Unless you downloaded the "warbird" program to it, which has been speculated as the Spitfire program, it is not calibrated to the airframe - did you see any over correction, or did it smooth it out in the wind? I think you are the first to do this, so I am dying to hear the juicy details.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Give me 5 or 10 min and I'll take some pics. Its not 2 pretty but it works. The bird flew just like my mig 15 or CC. The 2s battery hangs down a little so I want to make either a fuel tank or bomb as a battery cover.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Here you go. I cant believe that I'm the first to do this. I'm never the first to do anything when it comes to RC's.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
VERY interesting - Would love to hear more about the flight - specifically -

1) did you use full throttle, or keep it moderate?
2) How does it fly power off? Is it a brick, or does it still glide?
3) If you have video, we're hungry for it!
RCG Plus Member