HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky65 View Post
I've read here that some with good flying planes don't understand why some of us are having such a hard time.
I understand, because like yours mine was unflyable out of the box because of the CG and now it's a pussycat. It took a lot more than a dime to get the CG to the 28mm mark but that is where it has to be. I eventually decided to go for a bigger battery instead of dead weight. Now it uses the 200-250 mah batteries that are made for the MCPX, and they are mounted ahead of the stock location. Even with all that, it still needed a little piece of lead that weighs about the same as a dime.

My advice to those having trouble is to just keep stacking weight onto the nose until the CG gets to the 28mm mark.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, been doin' a little catch up reading, the last ten pages to be exact.
I noticed that some of you are having the same problem with your planes as I did. Mine was absolutely uncontrollable right out of the box. I tried all the tricks & fixes I could find here but nothing worked. I was so disappointed in this little plane.
During the preflight, everything checked out, throttle - up/down - check / flight controls - smooth and correct - check.
I discovered one day the battery was the problem. It didn't have enough mAh to run the motor and flight controls at same time. Under power, the flight controls were very erratic. The control surfaces wouldn't move until I move the stick about half its travel, then they would jump to full deflection. When I released the stick, the control surfaces would stay at full deflection for a few seconds before they returned to neutral.
I ended up taping two 1s 130mAh 25c lipos together in parallel and it flew just beautiful, "like it was on rails".
Was wondering if any of you guys that are having problems with your planes live close enough to someone with a good flying plane to get together and fly each others plane and give us a report back as to what you discovered. I've read here that some with good flying planes don't understand why some of us are having such a hard time.
Sticky servos are not normal and need to be corrected. Check for mechanical bind in the linkage and it there isn't any, the servo motors/racks may need to be swapped (micro soldering is required to repalce a weak motor).

130 mAh batteries is a little small for a "mustang Motor" and performace will suffer. 160's would be a min. Hyperions and miniaviation batteries will give a noticeable power increase.

I tunneled into the cowl for forward battery placement on my corsairs and this makes them fly like any other micro plane... instead of darty and unable to penetrate even the slightest breeze.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I tunneled into the cowl for forward battery placement on my corsairs and this makes them fly like any other micro plane... instead of darty and unable to penetrate even the slightest breeze.
I assume that you mean "with no additional ballast." I am going to try this one of these days. The Corsair has hit the air twice, and sits in the garage. As it is now, it is not my favorite plane...
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Hi UNGN and Jovanx, what made me think it wasn't the servos or CG, was during my hair raising uncontrolled flight, I decided to chop the power and just let it fall. When I did, it started gently gliding to the ground under full control. Just for the heck of it, before it reached the ground, I added power to see what would happen and it went every which way but the direction I tried to pointed it. Again, I chopped the power and it glided to the ground like a pussycat. I modified the battery slot to accept the Hyp 1s 240mAh. The 1s 240 is also 1.2g lighter than the two Hyp 130s (= 260mAh). Waiting for the wind to die down to try it out with the 240.
But, like I said before, throttle and controls all opperated smoothly during the preflight. What I didn't do, was to check control movement at full or even partial throttle.

Corky
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
I assume that you mean "with no additional ballast." I am going to try this one of these days. The Corsair has hit the air twice, and sits in the garage. As it is now, it is not my favorite plane...
Take a look at the previous page - I cut the battery slot further forward in mine and use a tenergy 160 and it flies fantastic. Don't give up on it, or at least before you do, find someone on this thread near you, ship it to them to give another shot at it before you give up. it's an AWESOME little bird when the kinks are worked out.

Quote:
Hi UNGN and Jovanx, what made me think it wasn't the servos or CG, was during my hair raising uncontrolled flight, I decided to chop the power and just let it fall. When I did, it started gently gliding to the ground under full control. Just for the heck of it, before it reached the ground, I added power to see what would happen and it went every which way but the direction I tried to pointed it. Again, I chopped the power and it glided to the ground like a pussycat. I modified the battery slot to accept the Hyp 1s 240mAh. The 1s 240 is also 1.2g lighter than the two Hyp 130s (= 260mAh). Waiting for the wind to die down to try it out with the 240.
But, like I said before, throttle and controls all opperated smoothly during the preflight. What I didn't do, was to check control movement at full or even partial throttle.

Corky
Corky -

I have to think that this sounds more like a CG issue than a loss of mechanical controls. My Mossie had a terrible CG issue (WAY aft) and I thought the same thing you did. When that nose got up in the air, the whole thing became uncontrollable and i thought it was "browning out". Turns out, it just wasn't getting enough air over the control surfaces when I needed it most. I ended up putting a big ol' "worm weight" from my tackle box - 1/4 oz up front with two 160 mAh batteries before it became flyable. My F4U wasn't nearly that bad, but load up that nose before you do anything else. BTW, do you still have the 3 bladed prop on it? If so, swap it out for a Mustang/UM T28 two bladed prop. The addtional power, combined with additional weight in the nose should bring her under control.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:35 AM View Post
valiantGLX
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while valiantGLX edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,777 Posts
I am glad I checked here before I did her maiden flight. Sent several PM's to TurboParker & he assisted me before she went in the air & told me what to watch out for & what items to get BEFORE her flight.

Ordered a few 1s 180mAh Babbel Batts along with a 5043 prop & prop adapter from RCBabbel. Than did the maiden & all went well!! She's stable & a joy to fly, I'm sure she'd be even better with AS3X but no drama. I was impatient with a little bit of wind & did a hand launch without the gear, she ended up getting tossed to the ground & a broken left wing.

Did the "How to- UM Corsair wing replacement" per John Redman & she's like new!! I only fly her with Babbel Batts & have yet to try her without the gear after the wing incident!! But I am chicken to take her up in winds more than 2mph, LOL, I fly the micro Stryker & MiG 15 EDF on the "windy" days!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Aug 28, 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: words added
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:26 AM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Thanks for your input W W U. I think I'm going to try it with the 240 Hyp and go from there.
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Flew it again today, after a LONG hiatus.

I use 160mAh TP cells, but wrap them with about 1 gram of shrink-wrap sleeve with attached Velcro (use the same cells in UM helis). Putting that all the way forward in the slot made a difference. The extra gram on the battery probably helped.

Much better than I remember. But I'm getting better too.

Still, I'm going to cut the hole and start using a battery with Velcro attached, so it can sit even more forward while removing my extra gram.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
Tundra Tires

Here is a pic of my home-made wheels. They are not beautiful, or scale, but they sure work when landing on rough pavement. The stock wheel is there for comparison. I've been hand-launching it all summer, waiting for the wheel struts to come back in stock. You can only straighten them so many times and then they break. Everybody always says you should have a little power on when landing, and I finally got that through my thick head. I did about 25 landings today, and most of them were good.

The only one that resulted in a nose-over was when I let the old habit take over, and tried to dead-stick it in. The bigger wheels really help a lot.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,094 Posts
Nice to see a corsair "re-tired" the RIGHT way!

Funny to see someone else post here. I just finished replacing my wing. I bought mine used and it came with a big crack/gash in the existing wing, but the seller threw in a replacement with the sale. I've had it for a few months and was dreading the replacement, but it was a LOT easier than I feared. Definitely helped to find the HH you tube on it to avoid breaking the fuse! She looks great now.

Took her out for a quick maiden and was surprised to see that she's a completely different airplane. Gonna take some getting used to. She seems squirrelier (sp?) somehow. I've seen others report this after rebuilding, so wondering if somethings askew. Gonna have to do a few more flights and find out. I suppose that each wing could have a slightly different shape and warping, (or maybe my old wing was just warped so much I wouldn't recognize a straight wing if it bit me anymore). We'll see.

I'd post pics, but I guess it would be pointless since it now looks basically new again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,777 Posts
Congrats with the installation of your new wing, did the same thing with my micro Corsair and thanks to John Redman's "How To" video, I followed it step-by-step as well. I got lucky though as she had the same flight characteristics as she did with the original wing.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,094 Posts
Well, just flew her again - turns out it wasn't the plane. I get a wierd swirl over the trees here (up in the mountains). Took my UM Mustang out to see if it was the plane or the wind, and sure enough, it was the wind. Second flights w/ the corsair = MUCH better. Still have to work on the CG a bit though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
I live in the mountains as well, and there is no such thing as a steady wind. It changes direction often and gusts around trees and buildings. This little plane actually handles the wind quite well, but the landings are difficult. I remove the wheels and hand-launch it on windy days. After surfing the breezes for a while, it's just a matter of popping it down into the grass as softly as possible.

When it is calm, I put the wheels on and practice my takeoffs and landings.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I live in the mountains as well, and there is no such thing as a steady wind. It changes direction often and gusts around trees and buildings. This little plane actually handles the wind quite well, but the landings are difficult. I remove the wheels and hand-launch it on windy days. After surfing the breezes for a while, it's just a matter of popping it down into the grass as softly as possible.

When it is calm, I put the wheels on and practice my takeoffs and landings.
I just got a couple SX motors from RC babbel - can't wait to throw one in the Corsair to see what a difference it makes in power! I'll let you know!
RCG Plus Member