SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:04 PM
Plane attacked by bird....
Joined Mar 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I did the same thing, they come in sets of 4, so 2 went to the corsair, and I got 2 more for the new beast airframe, I got some used ones somewhere that I was going to put on the beast I'm flying now, that poor plane is getting trashed kinda quickly
I have never had a problem with my servos binding and I belly land all the time. I do however belly land in a field. The grass there is about 6 inches tall though. So I don't plan on getting servo covers. Now that I just said this they're going to break!
Stunt Man 169 is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Man 169
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Man 169 View Post
I have never had a problem with my servos binding and I belly land all the time. I do however belly land in a field. The grass there is about 6 inches tall though. So I don't plan on getting servo covers. Now that I just said this they're going to break!
I haven't had any trouble with mine either, but to be on the safe side because I don't trust my flying skills, I put the covers on anyway.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:54 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I gotta be the worlds slowest builder/rebuilder, but at least I made a little more progress tonight.

I got the brick glued in with a couple of small dabs of hot glue, it seems to be holding it pretty tight.

I was going to glue it in with some shoe-goo but I tested in on a peace of scrap off the old air frame and it melted the styrofoam, so don't use shoe goo for that kinda stuff, you'll have a mess if you do.

I got the elevator linkage hooked up and working, tomorrow night. it's on to the rudder

I'm not going to glue the motor in until I get a couple of grams of led shot under it.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I finally got the Corsair done, my girlfriend was out of town over the last few days with the camera so I didn't get to take any pictures until she got home today.

I maidened the plane a little while ago and still need to trim it out, but it flew.

I had to put 1.75 grams of weight in the nose to balance it out, and I'm pretty sure I got it balanced dead on now.

I'm just not real impressed with the way it flew, hopefully it's just a trim adjustment, but it seemed to be all over the sky, and you couldn't relax for a second, you had to be thinking two steps ahead of the plane at all time.

the last one flew perfect before the dog got ahold of it, so I'm hoping this is just a trim adjustment this time.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I just took the Corsair out and flew it again, I centered all the trim switches on the transmitter, then adjusted the flying surfaces accordingly on the corsair so they were all centered, and it seemed like I got a more stable flight out of it but I'm going to check the balance again, I measured it at 28,mm from the leading edge of the wing and thought I had it dialed in, but it took a lot of "up" trim to get it to fly level under power, and when you cut the throttle, it dives like a rock and holding full up elevator with the throttle cut only slows the decent a little bit, but it's still diving, and in order to land it, you have to come in at close to 1/3 throttle.

I'm thinking it might be a balance problem

edit: I just checked the balance again, it looks like I got it wrong somehow when I was putting it together, this time when I checked it, it looked quite a bit nose heavy ....see picture:
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Aug 04, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Just picked one of these up for my first aileron plane and surprisingly enough this thing is much easier to fly than my SkyFly was. I did mess up and have the aileron channel reversed so I crashed twice before I realized it but then I was able to fly it no problem. I would like to find a way to maintain orientation though as sometimes I had a hard time telling which side of the plane I was looking at. Also has anyone managed to come up with a carrying case for these types of planes. I take the bus to work and I would love to be able to fly on my lunch breaks.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
ok, I surgically removed the weight I had put in the nose which left me with a big ol' gaping hole of an air inlet, I took the plane out and flew it again, much better now, it balanced out a lot closer to where it should be, maybe a tad tail heavy, but not hardly noticeable.

then I was looking at that gaping hole, and wondering what I should do with it, I got some white tape I can put over it to cover it up, would look ok, but I also have an extra servo cover that looks like it would double as an air scoop, I'm kinda leaning towards the air scoop.

what do you guys think? cover the hole with white tape, or ad the air scoop?
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sancho View Post
I would like to find a way to maintain orientation though as sometimes I had a hard time telling which side of the plane I was looking at. Also has anyone managed to come up with a carrying case for these types of planes. I take the bus to work and I would love to be able to fly on my lunch breaks.
contrasting colors work best for orientation, or maybe some stripes and checkerboard colors on the bottom of the wing?

as far a carrying case, most people just use the box it came in, that's what I do anyway.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Problem with the case it came in is that its just too big, I am looking for something a little more compact that could fit into a large backpack. I know that the plane would fit in the pack I take to work with room to spare but it would be crushed to pieces along the way.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:12 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,817 Posts
^You should get creative to solve that problem sir! Safely putting a plane like this into a backpack will be a challenge to say the least.

Lesson learned, keep dogs away from your planes. Especially those that fly well.

My biggest issue is the little neightbor kids wanting to fly and chase after my planes when I need to land. It wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a language barrier to contend with lol
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:11 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,750 Posts
Quote:
ok, I surgically removed the weight I had put in the nose which left me with a big ol' gaping hole of an air inlet, I took the plane out and flew it again, much better now, it balanced out a lot closer to where it should be, maybe a tad tail heavy, but not hardly noticeable.

then I was looking at that gaping hole, and wondering what I should do with it, I got some white tape I can put over it to cover it up, would look ok, but I also have an extra servo cover that looks like it would double as an air scoop, I'm kinda leaning towards the air scoop.

First of all GREAT WORK as always. And congrats for having the first ever nose heavy pz um corsair!

As for the scoop vs tape, given the power constraints on this bird, i would go with the tape unless there is a practical need for the scoop.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Since the red covers on the servos look cartoonish, it would be "in character" to add the scoop.

Personally, I'd paint the servo covers a matching blue and fill/tape the fuselage hole.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:46 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Since the red covers on the servos look cartoonish, it would be "in character" to add the scoop.

Personally, I'd paint the servo covers a matching blue and fill/tape the fuselage hole.

Gene K
the red covers do look kinda dorky, but I glued on the "scoop" and took it for a test flight last night, it flew great, so I'll end up leaving the scoop on it until a bad landing takes it off, (which shouldn't take to long with the way I fly) then I'll cover the hole with white tape.

this is the first corsair I built that didn't require any nose weight at all, I wonder if it has something to do with the new 6410 brick that HH sent me.

I didn't think there was any difference between the 6400 and the 6410.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
SEE? I knew that scoop wasn't gonna last long, first flight today and I ripped it right off, so now I got the hole covered with white tape.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,735 Posts
LOL, that's funny about the scoop but CONGRATS with your Corsair #2!! She looks really good!!
I had a chance last week to put your micro Stryker covers on. I spray painted the covers with Valspar light blue, not a perfect color match but close enough, you can't tell the difference up close or up at altitude.
Hope the dog keeps his distance this time.......
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut