3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirs View Post
Anybody using a dx6i care to share their dual rate and expo settings
Until I get used to this bird:

Ailerons: 75% - +30 expo
Elevator 80% - +20 expo
Rudder 80% - +20 expo

If it's windy, I set the ailerons at 65 or 70 percent @ +30.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,319 Posts
Got a new issue,although it's purely temporary: the "love bugs" are out in FL and I mean: They. Are. Out.

The bugs are mating, so basically they're floating around in pairs - attached at the thorax and there are literally millions of them down here!
( http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...entral-Florida)

Some people hit so many of these little black bugs with their windshields that they have to pull over and wash the glass. Windshield wiper solution does not remove them! They are "greasy" inside and extremely acidic, which can hurt a car's paint.

Anyway, I'm noticing love bug remains on my F4U's wings and some prop splatter on the fuse when I finish a flight.

The Champ doesn't move fast enough and I always cruise low n' slow with the awesome T-28, but the Corsair is a speedster and is gobbling-up these bugs and making a mess.

Anyway, there are enough of them out there to warrant my posting, because my Corsair is getting peppered with 'em!!!
Old May 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post

Anyway, there are enough of them out there to warrant my posting, because my Corsair is getting peppered with 'em!!!

Just call it Flak damage.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
275 Posts
We got ours Saturday.

Honestly its one of the toughest planes I've flown in just about 20 years of RC flying. I've owned just about every one of the PZ warbirds and really don't have anything to compare mine too as far as difficulty.

It doesn't track well, especially in wind.
It will spin either direction when stalled one revolution then recover. It always drops one wing and subsequently rolls over.
P-factor is like nothing I've ever experienced in a RC plane. Just like you need to hold right pedal in a real single engine plane on climb out you have to hold right rudder on this in climb out.
Rolls are no where near axial

I don't know if I got a dud or what. The CG feels right. Nose always drops quick in a stall and I don't have to hold it up flying nor do I have to fly the tail in a turn like a tail heavy plane. It seems heavy, I wonder if I didn't get a little too much glue from the factory.
Rooster433 is online now Find More Posts by Rooster433
Old May 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster433 View Post
We got ours Saturday.

Honestly its one of the toughest planes I've flown in just about 20 years of RC flying. I've owned just about every one of the PZ warbirds and really don't have anything to compare mine too as far as difficulty.

It doesn't track well, especially in wind.
It will spin either direction when stalled one revolution then recover. It always drops one wing and subsequently rolls over.
P-factor is like nothing I've ever experienced in a RC plane. Just like you need to hold right pedal in a real single engine plane on climb out you have to hold right rudder on this in climb out.
Rolls are no where near axial

I don't know if I got a dud or what. The CG feels right. Nose always drops quick in a stall and I don't have to hold it up flying nor do I have to fly the tail in a turn like a tail heavy plane. It seems heavy, I wonder if I didn't get a little too much glue from the factory.
I think we're all a bit taken-in by having a nice 3-blade, but as turboparker can attest, a 2-blade T-28 prop or especially a 5043, will smooth this dawg out.
I am starting to feel the same way; in the wind this plane can be as nutty as squirrel sh--it. I'm going to slap a spare 2-blade P-51 prop onto the UM F4U and see how she flies.
But first, I'll need a new shaft.... tonight she suddenly and almost inexplicably fell from the sky @ 18-or-so feet and nose dived into pavement. At that point I was just moving at about 70% throttle and not trying anything 3D -- just cruisin'. When I saw a black piece sail into the air, I knew it was that danged prop!

Still love flying this bird, but after a harried flight I always need a shot of slow-flying, always smooth... UM T-28!

Mac
Old May 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
I agree 100% with the last couple posts. So far, I've flown mine twice and it was a handful. The wind was pretty calm and I didn't maiden it in any sort of field, just in the street in front of my house so I tried to keep the turns tight, but it was squirrely.

I'll need to take it in the gym and see how it flies in optimum conditions with nice wide turns.

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old May 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
I thought it was just me as I am pretty new to this stuff, but it seems there are others in the same boat. This little devil seems at times when it's calm that it flies pretty well, but in wind, especially if it's swirly or variable, mine sometimes just seems to have a mind of its own. Some here seem to think it will handle a bit of wind just fine, but so far that is not my experience. Mine actually got easier to fly when I moved the aileron control rods one hole closer to the pivot, making them quicker and have more movement. I can react quicker to it's idiot moves on its own that way, but that's not how I like to fly a plane. I am finding it a challenge for sure. I know my um t28, mosquito, Sukhoi xp and Beast are way easier to fly smoothly wind or calm that my corsair.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I thought it was just me as I am pretty new to this stuff, but it seems there are others in the same boat. This little devil seems at times when it's calm that it flies pretty well, but in wind, especially if it's swirly or variable, mine sometimes just seems to have a mind of its own. Some here seem to think it will handle a bit of wind just fine, but so far that is not my experience. Mine actually got easier to fly when I moved the aileron control rods one hole closer to the pivot, making them quicker and have more movement. I can react quicker to it's idiot moves on its own that way, but that's not how I like to fly a plane. I am finding it a challenge for sure. I know my um t28, mosquito, Sukhoi xp and Beast are way easier to fly smoothly wind or calm that my corsair.
Bobly,

With the three-blade prop, she can barely get 'up on the wing'. Plus, mine was a tad tail-heavy with a Hyp 160 all the way forward. I found that switching to the heavier Hyp 180 & the faster 5043 prop made a big difference. In calm conditions, I have no problems doing WOT passes just inches off the deck. However - in turbulent conditions, the micros with the under-cambered wings will always fly much worse than the Beast or XP.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 06:56 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
This plane gave me my first R/C flying experience, I took it up by myself in 10mph winds. It had trouble with the wind but was still a good flying experience. First flight it ended up downwind from me and I decided to put it down. Other flights it just needed full throttle to make progress going into the wind. It needed alot of room for a loop, but I did have my DX5E on default low throws. In the future I'll probably wait for weather channel to report 5mph winds or fly indoors.
With it being my first r/c flight I cant really report any of the planes tendencies as I was just focused on keeping it in the air, didnt even trim, just flew.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Old May 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggerty00 View Post
This plane gave me my first R/C flying experience, I took it up by myself in 10mph winds. It had trouble with the wind but was still a good flying experience. First flight it ended up downwind from me and I decided to put it down. Other flights it just needed full throttle to make progress going into the wind. It needed alot of room for a loop, but I did have my DX5E on default low throws. In the future I'll probably wait for weather channel to report 5mph winds or fly indoors.
With it being my first r/c flight I cant really report any of the planes tendencies as I was just focused on keeping it in the air, didnt even trim, just flew.
You didn't fly that big bird Corsair?
Man, how could you resist?

CAUTION:
I should add here that in the crashes I've had, no matter how soft, it seems that the wing always seems to crack in a diagonal direction from close to the fuse @ the leading edge and gradually away, so I've added clear packing tape on the leading edge -- about 1.5" wide and back about 2.5 inches.

Not 'zactly pretty, but effective.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:24 PM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
You didn't fly that big bird Corsair?
Man, how could you resist?

CAUTION:
I should add here that in the crashes I've had, no matter how soft, it seems that the wing always seems to crack in a diagonal direction from close to the fuse @ the leading edge and gradually away, so I've added clear packing tape on the leading edge -- about 1.5" wide and back about 2.5 inches.

Not 'zactly pretty, but effective.

I tried to fly it, I had my aileron servos reversed and it went straight into the ground...I try not to claim that as my first r/c flight You can see in the pictures where I had to gorilla glue the nose back on. I have yet to fly it since, waiting for club training day.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Old May 12, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bobly,

With the three-blade prop, she can barely get 'up on the wing'. Plus, mine was a tad tail-heavy with a Hyp 160 all the way forward. I found that switching to the heavier Hyp 180 & the faster 5043 prop made a big difference. In calm conditions, I have no problems doing WOT passes just inches off the deck. However - in turbulent conditions, the micros with the under-cambered wings will always fly much worse than the Beast or XP.

Joel
Joel

I changed the prop out early on. It makes a big difference for sure. I don't care much for speed and don't care for the 5043 on my t28 although I flew it that way for quite some time. So I just put a stock t28 prop on my corsair and it helped loads for sure. I find the underchamber wing of the t28 easy to handle in breeze up to 6 mph or so, but the corsair is a different animal. For me, it is a challenge for sure - much more than the beast or sukhoi ever were.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 13, 2011, 05:27 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
More flying this afternoon
Pretty cute, Hag!
Nice to see some fun photos instead of the usual "tech stuff." Not too many girls in the RC hobby, but maybe your's will be a pilot someday!
Old May 13, 2011, 05:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
More flying this afternoon
Wow, awesome pictures! You wife took them? If so, you have to bring her with you to all your flying sessions. I absolutely love the "hand launch 1" Great instant shot!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler