HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:58 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Well darn. I just gave up on an improved version and bought a used one!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,555 Posts
That is great to hear!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
I took a look at the paperwork, and I found out that the servos are in fact a new type.

The old ones were designated SPMAS-2000L servos. They chattered, whined, jammed, and had terrible feedback.

The new ones are designated SPMSA2030L- these are AS3X compatible servos!
Is HH going to update the F4U with AS3X? I'm tempted to build my own.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
Maybe since they're selling the bricks with AS3X they're having the AS3X servos available for custom projects? As well as for those wanting to upgrade their existing aircraft to AS3X since they do not recommend using existing servos with AS3X?

An AS3X equiped F4U, that would be great!! For me that would mean flying I could fly her when the wind is over 2mph! I'm impressed with the winds my MiG 15 EDF can handle so I'd LOVE an updated Corsair!!!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Has anyone tried programming aileron differential on this bird?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
I took a look at the paperwork, and I found out that the servos are in fact a new type.

The old ones were designated SPMAS-2000L servos. They chattered, whined, jammed, and had terrible feedback.

Does your Corsair have the 2030's on the wings?

A picture would be great.

Add a beast 3D brick and a 5g motor and you'll have an AS3X 2S corsair.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
The 2030 servo:

Doesn't look all that different, all I know is that these things don't sing or chatter at all.

My prop hub decided to disappear mid flight:

Quick video of the new F4U flying at around half-throttle. I flew with my right hand and filmed with my left. I'll try to get a better video taken.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
The 2030 servo:

Doesn't look all that different, all I know is that these things don't sing or chatter at all.

My prop hub decided to disappear mid flight:

Quick video of the new F4U flying at around half-throttle. I flew with my right hand and filmed with my left. I'll try to get a better video taken.
The 2030's have Ball Bearings and much larger motors.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The 2030's have Ball Bearings and much larger motors.
I'm glad to see this thread's not dead. How heavy are these new servos? Ember, and Vapor all had the original servos and they were pretty quiet.

Then along came the long-throw servos with the Corsair and SBach, and they sing a lot. I am so happy to hear that we have reached a new level, where the servos are not only more robust, but quiet as well. Are these things digital or analog?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I'm glad to see this thread's not dead. How heavy are these new servos? Ember, and Vapor all had the original servos and they were pretty quiet.

Then along came the long-throw servos with the Corsair and SBach, and they sing a lot. I am so happy to hear that we have reached a new level, where the servos are not only more robust, but quiet as well. Are these things digital or analog?
The 2030 servos are 2.3g each vs. 1.7g for the regular 2000L's. They are way better in terms of performance, however. This is a great tradeoff.

The new corsair is probably a gram to 1.5g heavier than the old ones, but the servos are ahead of the CG.

The brick might be moved forward a little, too.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSeer...ature=youtu.be

Got a little more footage- take a look and compare it to the older Corsair. Big improvement in my opinion.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Looks great. I wonder if the motors are getting better, too.

The New one is heavier, but it looks like it has more power.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
The extra weight doesn't seem to be an issue at all. If it helps with CG, then that's even better.

My old F4U didn't fly very well with no weight in the nose- even with a dime taped in and with the 150mAh pack shoved all the way forward, the flights were barely tolerable.

I remember laughing at Parkzone's claim that it handled like its bigger brother, because the original model just porpoised all over the place. The new one almost kind of reminds me of the bigger F4U- just proportionally faster and more temperamental.

This one is actually fairly fun to fly and I actually prefer it over the UM P-51.

Here's the new 2030 compared to the 2000L:

Made an interim prop hub until the rubber ones are delivered:
Last edited by mkcp40; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:43 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
I wonder if the motors are any better.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
...something in me decided that I loved the look of the bent wing bastard, so I drove to the LHS to buy one.
I know what you mean..what a cool looking plane it is. Originally I thought my money was wasted on something that was all looks and no substance. Having the battery forward and a dime on the nose was not enough. If there is somebody out there who is still struggling with this plane, I would suggest packing more and more weight on the nose until it starts to behave.

I cut foam to move the battery further forward, and am using 200 to 250 mah batteries. Even that was not enough, and I still had to add a lead split-shot to the nose. It did the trick! It will fly hands-free in calm weather and wind is not so scary. On windy days I take the wheels off and fly over grass.

I agree that it's more fun than the Mustang. Having separate wing servos give your aileron stick inputs more punch. The Mustang has a single servo inside the fuse, with a bell crank and rods to each aileron. It makes for a more aerodynamic design and the servo is protected from harm, but the response of the ailerons is more mushy.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx