SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
I got lucky with the Corsair, and the original motor is still working. Not so lucky with the Mustang. The other day the third motor shrieked at me and the plane ended up landing in a less-than-ideal location. If you can find any Bravo motors, could you please let me know where you got them? Thanks.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,948 Posts
Look up rcbabble on the forum. He is a great guy and will sell the bravo motor with the appropriate mods. I havent done this yet but will be when i return to roa. Lots of folks have had great luck with him.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Here is a link to a thread by him...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=rcbabbl
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Love my corsair, after many flights, a bunch of 'hard landings', some into trees, some on pavement, even a few inverted :/ lol, I've CA'ed and taped it up to where there's more glue and tape than foam hehe. This is my 2nd UM, after the Champ, and my question is, why doesn't the rudder have much control? After nearning on the Champ, I thought Ailerons would be a bonus for turning and inverted flight, but the rudder on this corsair seems to lack any authority, and most of my turning needs to be done with aileron/elevator... haven't flown the champ in a while (waiting on a new motor) to compare, but i couldn't fly this bird reasonably without ailerons....
thrustoverdrag is offline Find More Posts by thrustoverdrag
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I flew my little Parzone Corsair today for the first time. I didn't fly it long - just around the back yard for a minute or two. It was a little windy and I need to put that dime under the front to add weight. I didn't crash though. I can't wait for the wind to settle down this evening and try it again.

One thing though - one of the servos keeps making a noise/little beeping sound. Does that mean the servo is going out?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
One thing though - one of the servos keeps making a noise/little beeping sound. Does that mean the servo is going out?
Servo chatter is normal. If a servo is "going out", it just stops without warning.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Servo chatter is normal. If a servo is "going out", it just stops without warning.
I fell victim to the servo issue regarding the Carbon Cub SS (returned her no problem back to my LHS), but I got scared and reduced the Throws with ALL my micros!! I've NEVER had a problem with servos on any of my fleet but I figured it wouldn't hurt so I decided to go conservative. Even though it's been 2 years on most of my micros without any problems at 100% Throw, with the exception of the F4U haven't had her that long
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I just got back from flying my corsair in a nice open field for the first time. I had a blast! What a fun little plane to fly. Once I got it up I did not crash once and was really becoming confident in flying it. I had three batteries and used all three. I did not want to stop flying. Lol. I almost wanted to try to do a loop for the fist time but didn't. Also, it was easy to bring down for a landing and once I cut power seemed to want to float and land half way decent. I did tape a dime to the nose and then switched to a nickel. What a fun little plane to fly.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
I fell victim to the servo issue regarding the Carbon Cub SS (returned her no problem back to my LHS), but I got scared and reduced the Throws with ALL my micros!! I've NEVER had a problem with servos on any of my fleet but I figured it wouldn't hurt so I decided to go conservative. Even though it's been 2 years on most of my micros without any problems at 100% Throw, with the exception of the F4U haven't had her that long
I ran into the overtravel problem a few years ago, and had to reduce the throw to 90% on some bricks/servos but it seems totally random.

Some servos would go to a "dead" spot while others would lock up solid against the stops.

The big problems I have had with the corsair servo is grinding the gears on curb strikes and having to replace the spur gears of the aileron servos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustoverdrag View Post
Love my corsair, after many flights, a bunch of 'hard landings', some into trees, some on pavement, even a few inverted :/ lol, I've CA'ed and taped it up to where there's more glue and tape than foam hehe. This is my 2nd UM, after the Champ, and my question is, why doesn't the rudder have much control?
I am actually amazed at how well the rudder works on mine. There is enough dihedral built into the wings to make it happen. There was one guy on here who had lots of problems with his aileron servos, and ended up just removing them. I bet that plane flies great with the reduction in weight and drag.

After all those hard miles, it is possible that there is excessive play in your rudder linkage. If you simply hold the plane and gently push the rudder back and forth, what happens? Does the control rod move up or down? Does the horn twist or bend back and forth? Does the gap in the U-bend change in size? All those things contribute to a loss of authority, and all can be fixed without buying new parts.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I am actually amazed at how well the rudder works on mine. There is enough dihedral built into the wings to make it happen. There was one guy on here who had lots of problems with his aileron servos, and ended up just removing them. I bet that plane flies great with the reduction in weight and drag.

After all those hard miles, it is possible that there is excessive play in your rudder linkage. If you simply hold the plane and gently push the rudder back and forth, what happens? Does the control rod move up or down? Does the horn twist or bend back and forth? Does the gap in the U-bend change in size? All those things contribute to a loss of authority, and all can be fixed without buying new parts.
I've checked all the mechanical, and everything seems tight, there is little play, however I noticed when I first got it that both left and right rudder travel does not seem to return to center after letting the stick go center. It will stay a few degrees in the direction i had it pointed. I'm not too concerned. it might make me a little uneasy trying to fly knife-edge, but I can learn that later...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustoverdrag View Post
I noticed when I first got it that both left and right rudder travel does not seem to return to center after letting the stick go center. It will stay a few degrees in the direction i had it pointed.
That's not the way it's supposed to be. Do your elevator and ailerons return to center? What transmitter are you using?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
That's not the way it's supposed to be. Do your elevator and ailerons return to center? What transmitter are you using?
Yes, my elevator and ailerons return to center. I'm using the stock Tx. Maybe I should try the Tx that came with my champ, possibly this one has a dead zone on one axis?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
It's a good idea to try another transmitter for sure. If that is the problem, you will find out pretty quick. If it's not the problem, there could be a dead spot on your rudder servo. It is possible to remove the 2 insanely tiny screws and clean up the track on the board. When you remove the servo mechanism, you will immediately see the gunk that is stuck to the conductive strip and is preventing the brushes from making contact. That contact is crucial in order for a servo to center itself.

Some MCPX owners consider that to be a regular part of their maintenance plan. I've done it many times, and those servos are very similar to the ones in the Corsair.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I believe that I have some relevant information for anyone considering a purchase.

Against my better judgement, I picked up a second UM F4U today. I had bought one roughly a year ago and that one was terrible. The servos chattered, didn't have smooth response, and the CG problem was horrible. The dime modification was not too great, and eventually I tore the plane apart for parts.

After that terrible experience, I swore I wouldn't buy one but something in me decided that I loved the look of the bent wing bastard, so I drove to the LHS to buy one. I opened the box and noticed two differences immediately:

1. The plane now ships with the 3.7v 150mAh 25C battery instead of the 12C battery.
2. The battery wire is far longer, allowing you to carve out foam in the nose to mount the battery further forward without a need to open up the plane to relocate the wire

I decided (again, against by better judgement) to take it to the park without the dime modification for CG issues. My first F4U flew on the micro controller, this one flies on a DX6i with the ailerons and elevator at 70%, rudder at 55%. Takeoff from a sidewalk was smooth, and it got into the air. I waited for the inevitable porpoising as the CG issues revealed themselves.

Nothing.

Wait, what? This is the same plane for the same price, yet it flies as if it is on rails and it doesn't do the crazy up-down crap.

Even better, the new battery seems to give it enough life with the 3 bladed propeller that I'm satisfied. No unlimited vertical, but it loops and rolls nicely.

The servos don't whine and chatter, the plane flies well, and its supposedly the same product! I'm pissed I wasted my $110 the first time around as this one flies very, very well. I guess Horizon Hobby went back and made some changes during production.

My first impression is that it no longer needs to have the stigma of being the most-hated UM warbird now.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40