SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
As it stands, it looks like I might actually be needing to move my battery back a hair to eliminate the need for down elevator trim.

Soon I'll have servo covers on, and eventually plan to try it sans landing gear with a 5043 prop. Removing that gear drag may be what it really wants, and I think it'll look sweet in the air without it.
It does look sweet without the wheels, and I think it cuts through the wind a bit better as well. I made servo covers from the bubble packs that fishing lures come in. How come you have to use down-elevator trim on a nose-heavy plane? Did you mean to say up-elevator? Did you ever find out what was causing the funny noises in the motor?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
How come you have to use down-elevator trim on a nose-heavy plane? Did you mean to say up-elevator?
Oops. Dang it. Yes, I did mean "up".

Quote:
Did you ever find out what was causing the funny noises in the motor?
Not yet; been working on and flying other planes. I'm going to paint and install some Stryker servo covers I picked up (after spending an inordinate amount of time in a Dollar store looking at every bubble-packaged item they had for potential servo covers to no avail ), and will check the motor then.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old May 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
266 Posts
I have a um corsair, and I've tried to fly it three times, and have had to glue it back together every time I try to fly it. I get in the air then it rolls over on it's back and goes in nose first. I have not added nose weight as the cg seems right on. It doesn't act tail heavy either. Haven't figured it out yet/ when it rolls over I have no control, I can't pull it out of the dive. Any ideas?
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Old May 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Control surface throw and direction is checking out correctly both before and after the flight? Are you using dual aileron setup on your Tx? And, of course, once it's on its back you have to "push" out of a dive, not "pull" (i.e. when inverted, down is up, and up is expensive). I don't know your experience level, but disorientation might be a contributing factor in the failure to recover from the dive.

EDIT: Also, are you maybe trying to climb too fast and stalling it on take-off? Try a nice level hand-launch if you haven't already.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old May 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,724 Posts
Quote:
It does look sweet without the wheels, and I think it cuts through the wind a bit better as well.
I think I'm going to put the UM Stryker servo covers on her & remove the wheels as well, her big brother looks cool with no gear!! I'm not into the orange covers though so I'll paint 'em sky blue so hopefully the servo covers will look a little better??
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old May 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Buddies

I painted the micro last year and really liked the way it looked in the air. Decided to go with the same on the new big bird.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Nice for visibility. What paint and how did you do it? I may do the same!

Quote:
I painted the micro last year and really liked the way it looked in the air. Decided to go with the same on the new big bird.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old May 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Nice for visibility. What paint and how did you do it? I may do the same!
Visibility is what it's all about. The stock colors were designed to make it hard for the enemy to see the plane against a blue pacific ocean and a blue and white sky. For an RC pilot, it is a nightmare. In low light, that thing was just a black box to my eyes, and I never knew which side was up. After adding the big flash of yellow to the upper side, flying it is more fun and more relaxing. The blue and yellow combo is killer!

I used Krylon H2O Latex, which is a generic spray paint from the local hardware store. I sprayed it into a plastic container and applied it to the plane with a small brush. It took forever because it was so thin and watery. It must have been at least 15 coats, and each time it got a little less blue and a little more yellow. It would be easier with some kind of paint that is thicker and covers better. After the first few coats it was just a streaky mess and I was starting to question my sanity. After it was done and in the air, I realized all the work was worth it.

On the big plane, the wings and stabilizer are easily removable. I took them off and cut the ailerons and elevator off, and went nuts with the spray can. It took 3 coats and was easy. Then I re-attached the ailerons and elevator with better hinges and it's all good...
Old May 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,724 Posts
I didn't know you put hinges on the big F4U! Cool! And nice high vis paint!! I like your RP paint scheme as well!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old May 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
I maidened my corsair today. I have to be honest and say this model is not one of the best micros I have flown. I placed a dime in the nose of aircraft to offset it being so tail heavy. The aircraft is VERY floaty and no where as nice of a bird like the Parkzone P-51, T-28, or mosquitto. I think I am going to put this bird on ebay. Cheers!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old May 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom7435 View Post
The aircraft is VERY floaty and no where as nice of a bird like the Parkzone P-51...
I don't think it is possible to appreciate this plane after only flying it for one day. I, too, went through a period of thinking my money was wasted. Once you get the CG just right, and you learn how to fly it, this amazing plane can fly circles around the UM P51. Some people like floaty and some people prefer missiles.

In it's full size form, it was not only faster than the Mustang, it was also slower. Just try landing a Mustang on an aircraft carrier and see what happens. I think the Corsair is a better plane for small spaces due to it's floatiness and tight turning radius. Small spaces are what the UM's are all about.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,979 Posts
I too went through a phase of diss-appointment with this bird. Getting the COG right was tough for me. I just didn't have much luck with it. Or my Big one either. I have other low wings and mid wings that I would prefer to fly. But, the capabilities of this one and looks, make it worth the effort. Keep at it. It is a wonderfull micro once ya get her right. And learn to fly her right. haha. I had to learn to keep her above stall speed. hahaha.
Good luck and Happy Flyin
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
Zoom zoom. Before you put it on ebay give this forim a crack. For the right price i might even unload it for you.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old May 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,979 Posts
I curious, what would the "right price" be? Just asking.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I just didn't have much luck with it. Or my Big one either.
I find the big one to be a dream to fly, with no surprises or bad habits. It is easy to land on the grass with or without the wheels. It's not fussy about having the CG exactly on, and has been a pleasure right from the first flight. The only time I struggle with it is when landing on pavement. It really wants to bounce and when it finally stays down, it wants to swerve off the runway.

If there is no wind, the micro one flies rock solid, and by fiddling with the trim buttons, I can get it to fly either straight or in circles hands free.