HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Yea, I agree Joel. That is part of the disavatages I was thinking of. Flight envelope would dwindle. But, some planes can't do much of that anyway. I was just thinking that some planes could benefit from permanent flaps in my yard. hahaha. Slow and low, relaxing flights every now and again are kinda nice.
Lee
Lee,

Might also be useful when flying indoors, but I've found spoilerons to be better for that. For the Mossie, I programmed a 3-way switch with 15 degrees of spoilerons, none, or 15 degrees of flaperons. The flaperons made it much more difficult to fly slowly. They made the plane very prone to tip-stalls, and low-speed aileron authority was pretty much non-existent. In contrast, the spoilerons very noticeably extend the lower end of the flight-envelope. They allow for great roll-control at very low speeds & at high angles-of-attack. They dramatically improved low-speed maneuverability. I use the spoilerons when flying in tight quarters, like when we only get one indoor soccer court at our winter flying spot.

If I remember correctly, someone extended the leading-edge of the wing of the UM Sukhoi to slow it down for flying in cramped quarters indoors. Might be an option for your backyard flying.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:17 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
I have a love hate thing going with the corsair ! I bought a slightly crashed one on Ebay .My intention was to rip out it's guts for a P-39 I'm building.

I took it to the Sunday afternoon indoor fly in It flew so well that I just coudn't cut it up. It saw extremely tail heavy I added the dime and 7 lead shot to hit the CG.the stock prop has plenty of power to fly indoors. it was a little fast for the gym. I then dropped in 30 degrees of flaps . Just what to docter orderd. with the extra drag it slowed down . I added 10% down ele trim to keep the nose down .I'm useing a DX6i transmitter.

The Hate! there were 3 other Corsairs there they ALL looked the same. But it flies so well I decided to repair the crash damage and repaint. I decided on the AU-1 1956 version . Yes I know that all the AU-1 went to the Marines. BUT I have a photo of 4 AU-1s setting on the ramp with NAVY painted on the aft fuse.

Paul
WOW!!!! That is nice looking!!! I really like the exhaust!! That looks GREAT!!! Glad you didn't rip into her! Wish you could paint my full-size PZ Corsair in that scheme..... even the Ottumwa is cool lookin! Gotta sport where you're from!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
The flaps were done with the Tx .the linkage rod was moved to the 2nd hole closest to the control horn pivit point.

the flaps let me fly in a smaller space .As with everything to do with flight there is a trade off . I don't think I'll be going to many loops with a 40 foot ceiling. because of the increased drag you have got to use a little more power . this cuts down on your flight time. you let the nose rise and you stall quickly.

Ottumwa Naval Air Station closed in 1946 A lot of navy pilots started there

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:00 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
The flaps were done with the Tx .the linkage rod was moved to the 2nd hole closest to the control horn pivit point.

the flaps let me fly in a smaller space .As with everything to do with flight there is a trade off . I don't think I'll be going to many loops with a 40 foot ceiling. because of the increased drag you have got to use a little more power . this cuts down on your flight time. you let the nose rise and you stall quickly.

Ottumwa Naval Air Station closed in 1946 A lot of navy pilots started there

Paul
Deflecting the ailerons up instead of down will allow for slower flight and it will be more stable and easier to fly.

When the tips are deflected down, they can stall before the root, and the plane fall off to one side or the other. With the tips up, the wing root will always stall before the tips.

The plane will fly with a higher AOA, which produces more lift and Drag.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
normally I would agree 100% but my corsair shows no sign of wanting to tip stall ! it might be a combination of the undercambered wing and the wing tip dihedral.

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
it was flying so nice, like it was on rails, it was just perfect, then someone let the dog out ......
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Apr 15, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,935 Posts
Dang, that looks pretty serious. Arrrrggghhh, dang dog.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
it was flying so nice, like it was on rails, it was just perfect, then someone let the dog out ......
I do most of my flying in town and this is my second biggest fear, next to having the plane go out of control and hurt somebody. There have been a few close calls with stray dogs and one of these days...

Did you see it coming? I got a fair bit of practice at hand-catching planes this winter, when the snow was really deep and I didn't want the electronics to get wet. I figure it might be a good option for that day when a dog comes out of nowhere and there is only one thing on his "mind".
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:57 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,253 Posts
With my Champ at the park, I found it easy to fly low and let the dogs chase it across the park and then hurry back after I've worn them out. Put a little high speed distance between them and your landing.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
I decided on the AU-1 1956 version . Yes I know that all the AU-1 went to the Marines. BUT I have a photo of 4 AU-1s setting on the ramp with NAVY painted on the aft fuse
Looks great, Paul. You may have seen this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=72

I think it looks great as well, but I like yours even more.

I've been thinking that Parkzone would do well to offer some alternative paint schemes for many of their planes.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Awe man, after all that you've done to get her in the air. Not sure if I'd rather have a crash or have the dog eat it??? Sorry to hear 'bout that. Hopefully you'll be too busy flying the Carbon Cub SS (or MiG?) to keep your mind off the Corsair???
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Yeah, I want the carbon cub, but I was told "no more planes" today, so I think the carbon cub is gonna have to wait.

that corsair was flying so nice to, it went where you pointed it, was very predictable, the power off glide couldn't have been more perfect.

I just couldn't outrun the dog, no matter how hard I tried, that dog is one fast SOB, I flew the plane to the far end of the field, did a 180 degree turn, and flew it back as fast is it's little motor would haul it, and it just wasn't fast enough, the dog was literally under it the entire way.

yup, I'm really disappointed plus I'm told I spent to much already so I can't have another one, so I guess I'm just gonna have to rebuild this one again.

on the bright side, I learned a few things during the previous re-build, so for the third time around, it oughta come out dang near perfect, even better then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Awe man, after all that you've done to get her in the air. Not sure if I'd rather have a crash or have the dog eat it??? Sorry to hear 'bout that. Hopefully you'll be too busy flying the Carbon Cub SS (or MiG?) to keep your mind off the Corsair???
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
That just breaks my heart to see a plane in that condition
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
I just couldn't outrun the dog, no matter how hard I tried, that dog is one fast SOB, I flew the plane to the far end of the field, did a 180 degree turn, and flew it back as fast is it's little motor would haul it, and it just wasn't fast enough, the dog was literally under it the entire way.
I ran into that situation once with a really fast dog. There were some kids who tried chasing the dog and calling it off but it was so determined. Then luckily it's master came out of a house and called him away with the voice of authority. If that ever happens again, and it's too fast to hand-catch, other options might be parking it on a roof or in a tree.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
If that ever happens again, and it's too fast to hand-catch, other options might be parking it on a roof or in a tree.
...or flying it out over a busy street, assuming it's not your dog.

Just kidding. Who would think of such a horrible thing...?
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy