HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:52 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
My Corsair came yesterday but,there were no instructions. Where is the balance point?
DropTank is online now Find More Posts by DropTank
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
My Corsair came yesterday but,there were no instructions. Where is the balance point?
Put the battery all the way forward and the balance point should be farther forward than that.

For instruction, the Horizon Hobby website is the best resource:

Corsair manual ... page 10.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Thanks UNGN. I cut a whole in the cowl and slid the battery as far forward as it would go. Seems to balance pretty good. I'll try it out as soon as the wind quits howling.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
102 Posts
Your manual is under the foam ,take the foam out of the box should be taped to the bottom
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
I bought a used one from the classifieds. There was not a manual. I did check out the one online like UNGN said.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
Quote:
I bought a used one from the classifieds. There was not a manual. I did check out the one online like UNGN said.
The CG recommended in the manual is 28mm back from the leading edge. The manual is correct about the location and it flies well with the CG there. However the manual is wrong when it suggests you can achieve that CG by putting the stock battery in the front of the stock battery cavity.

Just do whatever you have to do to get the it to balance at that point, and it should fly like a dream. You can put dead weight on the nose temporarily, and then fiddle with battery location and size and then remove the weight.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
I put two flights on my Corsair this morning. It flies great! It does take a good bit of right rudder on takeoff. Is that normal?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,450 Posts
Quote:
I put two flights on my Corsair this morning. It flies great! It does take a good bit of right rudder on takeoff. Is that normal?
DropTank,

Yes, that's normal behavior for a taildragger. There are a number of forces at work. Torque, gyroscopic precession, slipstream effects, and P-factor come into play. They all tend to make planes with clockwise props yaw to port during the takeoff roll. If you're not doing it already, try rolling into the throttle on takeoff. Once the tail is up, smoothly go to full throttle, ease back on the stick, and lift-off. That should minimize the yawing tendency.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 14, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:08 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Hey people heres a vid of my corsair,its a bit beaten up but it taught me loads.I now fly a umx beast and a parkzone spitfire.All thanks to the help of this little warhorse

My UMX Corsair F4u (7 min 17 sec)
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadaz View Post
Hey people heres a vid of my corsair,its a bit beaten up but it taught me loads.I now fly a umx beast and a parkzone spitfire.All thanks to the help of this little warhorse
Couldn't agree more. I wish I had bought this micro before I bought a couple of full sized warbirds. Way cheaper way to learn how to fly!!
MayorThis is offline Find More Posts by MayorThis
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
539 Posts
I have a love hate thing going with the corsair ! I bought a slightly crashed one on Ebay .My intention was to rip out it's guts for a P-39 I'm building.

I took it to the Sunday afternoon indoor fly in It flew so well that I just coudn't cut it up. It was extremely tail heavy I added the dime and 7 lead shot to hit the CG.the stock prop has plenty of power to fly indoors. it was a little fast for the gym. I then dropped in 30 degrees of flaps . Just what to docter orderd. with the extra drag it slowed down . I added 10% down ele trim to keep the nose down .I'm useing a DX6i transmitter.

The Hate! there were 3 other Corsairs there they ALL looked the same. But it flies so well I decided to repair the crash damage and repaint. I decided on the AU-1 1956 version . Yes I know that all the AU-1 went to the Marines. BUT I have a photo of 4 AU-1s setting on the ramp with NAVY painted on the aft fuse.

Paul
seitz2c is online now Find More Posts by seitz2c
Last edited by seitz2c; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
it was a little fast for the gym. I then dropped in 30 degrees of flaps . Just what to docter orderd. with the extra drag it slowed down . I added 10% down ele trim to keep the nose down .I'm useing a DX6i transmitter.
I always stand up and take notice when I see a Corsair that is not blue. Do you have the flaps mechanically dialed in, or are you using a flapperon setting on the tx?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,467 Posts
Wow, Jovanx!!! I am kinda eperienced. Thought I had done almost all ya could. If I have not done it, I have read of others doing it. But, you mention something that I have never even considered. Mechanically dialing in flaps!!! Never even thought about that. Thanks so much. Just goes to show me how great these forums are. More brains the better. I can see the disavantages of doing it that way. But, I can also see the advantages too.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,450 Posts
Lee,

The reason you have not heard about permanent flaperons is because they decrease the maneuverability of the plane. Axial rolls, KE passes, vertical climbs, and inverted flight will suffer greatly, or be next to impossible. They also cause throttle/pitch coupling, and increase the tendency for tip-stalls.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,467 Posts
Yea, I agree Joel. That is part of the disavatages I was thinking of. Flight envelope would dwindle. But, some planes can't do much of that anyway. I was just thinking that some planes could benefit from permanent flaps in my yard. hahaha. Slow and low, relaxing flights every now and again are kinda nice.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy