Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
NICE!!!! Congrats with your "re-build" as well as your maiden flight!! Personally I'm very happy with most of the guys suggestion here before my maiden flight, 1S 180mAh Babbel Batts as well as the GWS 5043 prop & his bamboo prop adapter. When I described my 1st flight to a buddy that has the UM F4U he was amazed at the performance I described, especially going vertical and "scale" loops. He was disappointed with his purchase.... Until he got in touch with RCBabbel, now he's happy with his UM Corsair! I'm sure you'll be having more fun as well as more stories with your new batts!!! I'm into night flying so this is my next plan for her:

Now if I can just time it so they can arrive without my wife knowing.....
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
NICE!!!! I'm into night flying so this is my next plan for her:

Now if I can just time it so they can arrive without my wife knowing.....
I plan on buying some lights from them for the champ, and yeah, my girlfriend thinks I have enough planes hanging around and don't need anymore, so I got lucky when my nephew gave me this Corsair, I knew the thing would fly, it just needed a good rebuild and balance.

I did find 1 good battery, and wow, what a difference it made, the plane is so rock solid that I tried to take it off through the fence, and learned that electric fence wire and foam don't mix well, it sheared the wing right off, just like slicing butter.

once I got the wing fixed, the plane flew like it was on rails, as long as te wind wasn't blowing, I'm really going to like this one.

here's a couple of pictures of my wing repair, a little CA and some scotch tape and she was good as new.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Yep, thats exactly how mine broke.. and it ALWAYS breaks that same wing over and over, no matter what I've only ever cracked the left wing and every time I dork it, it is the only wing that is ever damaged.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:47 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
I have a Corsair on the way. Bought it in the classified section. I hope it don't get crushed on it's way here. Anyway, I want to use a bigger battery to balance it. Which one is everybody using?
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
I have a Corsair on the way. Bought it in the classified section. I hope it don't get crushed on it's way here. Anyway, I want to use a bigger battery to balance it. Which one is everybody using?
A Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh 'M' cell mounted just behind the cowl usually does the trick. Be sure to measure the CG on your airframe. Battery placement varies between samples, due to variations in foam density & the amount of adhesive used.

For a reference, here's where my Hyp 180s ended up:

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Where can I get that battery with that connector?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
Thanks for the reply. Where can I get that battery with that connector?
I've ordered Hyperion batteries from Quantum Hobby and ALLeRC, and had good service from both. Here are some links:

Hyperion 180mAh 1S:
http://www.quantumhobby.com/Hyperion...25c01801sm.htm
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5437.html

Hyperion 240mAh 1S:
http://www.quantumhobby.com/Hyperion...25c02401sm.htm
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html

I'm currently using the 240mAh Hyperions in my UM Corsair, and these go a long way toward solving the "tail heavy" C/G issue. (Still have a nickel and a penny taped under the nose, though.) These batteries are also well-suited for the UM T-28 and the UM Mosquito ....
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,789 Posts
The hyp's will work fine. I would like to try those new MA bigger batts. I have not yet.

RCBabble is a member here that sells what you asked for. He is a great guy. A trusted member. Get them from him. Find him and shoot him a PM. He also sells 5043 props and adapters too. I think.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:10 PM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Aren't the connectors different? I have the bought a battery from RCbabble for my Beast. I'll shoot him an email.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,789 Posts
I have two MA batts made for the beast. I was gonna switch out connectors untill I got those. They really bring it to life.
Lee
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:50 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I tried to take it off through the fence, and learned that electric fence wire and foam don't mix well, it sheared the wing right off, just like slicing butter.

once I got the wing fixed, the plane flew like it was on rails, as long as te wind wasn't blowing, I'm really going to like this one.

here's a couple of pictures of my wing repair, a little CA and some scotch tape and she was good as new.
Mine broke there as well when a gust of wind lifted the right wing up and "threw" her to the ground on her left wing. But I could NOT repair her for the life of me!! So I ordered the wing & got her airborne again 2 days later. I limit myself to 0mph wind with her!! & fly her big brother in 15mph-20mph+ winds to get my WWII fix in. Looking forward to the Carbon Cub SS since that'll be my 1st plane with the new AS3X...... which means I'm sure i'll be picking up the UM Spitfire as well since I've heard nothing but good things regarding that AS3X.... :roll eyes: Great you got her all patched up & she's handling like she's on rails!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Oh by the way I did fix my stuck aileron servo with just a new servo gear! 3 dollars.. I ordered two. Maybe I should have ordered more. Shame the the LHS doesn't have those. Shipping was pretty quick though from someone on ebay. Flew for awhile yesterday and actually for the first time got stuck in a tree. Luckily was low enough to get it down by throwing some other branches at it and didn't cause any damage.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I've been watching the Carbon Cub to, I really liek that one, now to figure out how to get it without my neck bein in the ringer

some members of my household think I have enough planes and don't need any more

but on the other hand ....that Carbon Cub shure would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Mine broke there as well when a gust of wind lifted the right wing up and "threw" her to the ground on her left wing. But I could NOT repair her for the life of me!! So I ordered the wing & got her airborne again 2 days later. I limit myself to 0mph wind with her!! & fly her big brother in 15mph-20mph+ winds to get my WWII fix in. Looking forward to the Carbon Cub SS since that'll be my 1st plane with the new AS3X...... which means I'm sure i'll be picking up the UM Spitfire as well since I've heard nothing but good things regarding that AS3X.... :roll eyes: Great you got her all patched up & she's handling like she's on rails!!
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
I've been flying AS3X planes since last November when the Beast 3D came out, and I also have the Gee Bee. AS3X dampens movements caused by external forces, which allows small planes to fly smoothly in windy conditions & makes them behave more like their large-scale counterparts. See my YouTube channel for videos of me flying the Beast 3D in a 26 MPH wind. AS3X is definitely a game-changer!

I've got the CC + floats on order, along with the ASK-21 sailplane & the Mig 15.

I really want an AS3X-equipped, 2s brushless P-47D with a semi symmetrical airfoil & flaps. A set of UM retracts would make it perfect.

Yeah, I know. I'm an RC addict.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 03, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:40 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,789 Posts
Man, I'm almost jealous Joel. haha. I agree with ya. A P-47D would be awesome.
Lee