HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Man 169 View Post
Hold on before you put the dime on. My corsair's cg was correct out of the box. I would put the wing on first and then put the dime on it or just upgrade to a 240mah battery. If you glue the dime on and it becomes nose heavy you will ruin the paint tying to take it off. Just make sure before you do this.
I would tape the dime - not glue it. But fly it stock first. If it's tail heavy, then try the dime. If it evens out, then you can use the dime or a 240 lipo pushed forward.

I opened my Corsair and glued a 6mm hex nut in the nose - underneath the motor area.

I've never had any issues since. A dime weighs 2.2 grams while the hex nut weighs 2.0. So it's slightly less weight.

I also tried the hex nut, a Sky Lipo 250mah and a 5043 prop; the F4U turns into a major ball-tearer!

Just have fun with it!

Mac

PS Having "issues" with mine. Somehow I reversed 1 aileron, so now my ails both go up or down together. Can't seem to locate a "fix" in the manual.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
I stripped out all the guts out of the old corsair last night, now I have a pile of parts, I salvaged everything I could that might come in handy on some future project or something.

I'll start on the rebuild today, I'll mock everything up, and see if I can come up with a balance point, when its done, I want to be able to put the nose weight (lead shot fishing weight) under the motor and epoxy it in for good where you can't see it.
Stuart Linfoot is online now Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Having "issues" with mine. Somehow I reversed 1 aileron, so now my ails both go up or down together. Can't seem to locate a "fix" in the manual.
You might need a "servo reverser" for one of your aileron servos. Check out post 862 in this thread ....
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post

PS Having "issues" with mine. Somehow I reversed 1 aileron, so now my ails both go up or down together. Can't seem to locate a "fix" in the manual.
Mac,

If you go back to the page where you asked the question, I posted the fix for you.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I stripped out all the guts out of the old corsair last night, now I have a pile of parts, I salvaged everything I could that might come in handy on some future project or something.

I'll start on the rebuild today, I'll mock everything up, and see if I can come up with a balance point, when its done, I want to be able to put the nose weight (lead shot fishing weight) under the motor and epoxy it in for good where you can't see it.
Uh oh, did I miss something??? I thought you needed a new wing as well as a new fuselage and you were good to go? Did you decide to scrap it all together?? Or a paintball make contact....
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Uh oh, did I miss something??? I thought you needed a new wing as well as a new fuselage and you were good to go? Did you decide to scrap it all together?? Or a paintball make contact....
no, I decided on a complete rebuild, the old plane was pretty well beat up.

I spent all after noon just working on cleaning parts and setting up the wing, I may not get this done tonight like I had originally planned

I got the wing done, complete with servo covers.

I plugged everything in and made sure it all works, there's no binding or anything, (I was a little concerned that those servo covers might cause binding but they didn't)

here's a couple of pics of what I got done so far.

in over 40 years of flying, this will be my first warbird, everything I've always built or flown has always been civilian, so this is exciting even if it is a micro
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Mar 30, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:07 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
I got some more work done on the corsair, still need to install the electronics and balance, but all in all, it's coming along just fine
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:12 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,619 Posts
looks nice, makes me wish mine still looked that good. To buy more Corsair parts or fly it to death and put the parts in a new project hmm.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,571 Posts
Quote:
I got some more work done on the corsair, still need to install the electronics and balance, but all in all, it's coming along just fine
WOW!!!! You got those stickers on STRAIGHT and nice!!! I can NOT spot a crease in any of 'em I see!!! Looks really nice!! Hope you get enough time to finish her up for your maiden flight!!! Good deal after all this time this is your 1st WWII bird!!! Hope it all goes well!!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:17 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
WOW!!!! You got those stickers on STRAIGHT and nice!!! I can NOT spot a crease in any of 'em I see!!! Looks really nice!! Hope you get enough time to finish her up for your maiden flight!!! Good deal after all this time this is your 1st WWII bird!!! Hope it all goes well!!
Thanks, but I did mess up on that line decal thing on the front, in front of the windshield, I should have left that off, oh well, it's on to stay now.

that decal ends up on a lot of corsair models and in reality, what that was during WWII was duct tape, those panels used to work loose in flight, and the quick fix was to cover the seams with duct tape, that's what those lines on the top in front of the windshield simulate ..

I'm hoping to fly it this weekend, but I'm in the middle of a nightmare of a brake job on my Subaru, once I get that out of the way, I'm gonna work on the plane some more.

I still need to balance it out, and I need to make a balancing stand for it, I'll do that with a small 2x4 and a couple of pencils.
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Mar 31, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:14 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, but I did mess up on that line decal thing on the front, in front of the windshield, I should have left that off, oh well, it's on to stay now.

that decal ends up on a lot of corsair models and in reality, what that was during WWII was duct tape, those panels used to work loose in flight, and the quick fix was to cover the seams with duct tape, that's what those lines on the top in front of the windshield simulate ..

I'm hoping to fly it this weekend, but I'm in the middle of a nightmare of a brake job on my Subaru, once I get that out of the way, I'm gonna work on the plane some more.

I still need to balance it out, and I need to make a balancing stand for it, I'll do that with a small 2x4 and a couple of pencils.
The same thing happened to me regarding that decal when I 1st got the plane, i had better luck putting it on the 2nd time, but i still had creases, but hey, can't see that up at altitude!!! And I had NO idea it was duct tape on the real thing! I always wondered what it was for. Good luck with the car as well as working on the rest of the plane!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:49 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
I made a balancer, and put 2.2 grams of led fishing shot in the nose under the motor.

the COG is measured back 28mm from the leading edge and it is still looking just a tad tail heavy, but I figured I'd make up for that when I glue in the led shot, I was going to bury it under epoxy, and the extra weight of the epoxy should make up the weight difference.

take a look at the pic
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,364 Posts
Quote:
I made a balancer, and put 2.2 ounces of led fishing shot in the nose under the motor.

the COG is measured back 28mm from the leading edge and it is still looking just a tad tail heavy, but I figured I'd make up for that when I glue in the led shot, I was going to bury it under epoxy, and the extra weight of the epoxy should make up the weight difference.

take a look at the pic
Are you sure you can't figure a way to move the battery forward to do what you are talking about doing without adding aditional DEAD WEIGHT? Adding over 2 ounces of anything to this plane will make it a slug in the sky if you can get it off the ground.
Just my humble opinion.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Are you sure you can't figure a way to move the battery forward to do what you are talking about doing without adding aditional DEAD WEIGHT? Adding over 2 ounces of anything to this plane will make it a slug in the sky if you can get it off the ground.
Just my humble opinion.

John
oops, I meant 2.2 grams, my bad.

here's a picture of how I mounted the weight.

I drilled a little hole in the foam under the motor, put the lead shot in the hole, then covered it with epoxy.

it came out dead on, now to go fly it
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,922 Posts
It's done, and test flown, sorry no airborne pictures, I was by myself, and my girlfriend was out shopping, I'll try to get some airborne shots of it later when she gets back home.

the plane flew perfect, it went where I pointed it and did what it was supposed to do, so I am happy with it, my batteries on the other hand need some serious help, the batteries are old, the majority of them were bought used off ebay about 3 years ago, so needless to say, my best flight time with my best battery was about 4 minutes.

I don't do much better then that with the champ either, but I sure like the way that Corsair flew during the 4 minutes I did have it up!

new batteries are on the way