HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Ok, it all makes sense now. You are correct that there is a problem with the teeth on the main gear. I had the same thing happen to one on a helicopter where you could touch it and it would move, and upon close examination it turned out to be a piece of grit stuck in between 2 teeth. I was able to pick it out with a razor blade and it has worked fine ever since. In your case, you either have broken teeth or something stuck in there from the crash.

The reason it is freaking with the gear removed is because it is not getting any feedback from the brushes moving on the slider. That is what tells the chip that the servo is is in the position it is supposed to be, and the chip would then cut the power to the motor. When I broke the one on my Corsair, the end of the shaft that holds the main gear broke, and the gear was gone along with that short piece of shaft. When I picked the plane up off the grass, the little servo motor was screaming just like yours, and for the same reason. I ordered a new servo, and 8 weeks later it finally arrived.
Makes sense but I really hope I don't have to wait 8 weeks for that tiny part! I wonder if I can somehow repair the teeth with a razor, it just looks like a few of them are slightly gnarly/not sharp.. kinda surprised it totally stops the motor in its tracks. Not a big deal though if i just need the new gear and or motor part.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:30 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Makes sense but I really hope I don't have to wait 8 weeks for that tiny part! I wonder if I can somehow repair the teeth with a razor, it just looks like a few of them are slightly gnarly/not sharp.. kinda surprised it totally stops the motor in its tracks. Not a big deal though if i just need the new gear and or motor part.
It won't take 8 weeks for you to get it. It's just that I live in a cave at the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere in one of the remote corners of the world. If you have a magnifying glass and a bright light and a sharp razor blade you can work wonders with these little gears. What happens is the tip of the tooth breaks off but the piece remains attached. That gives you the same effect as having a piece of grit stuck into the groove between 2 teeth. If you can slice that off cleanly, it will work fine even with the tips of a few teeth missing. I have also done this with the main prop drive gear to make the prop spin smoother and quieter.

Actually, I was kidding about the cave. It usually takes me about 2 weeks to order something in, but those servos were back ordered at the time.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I still have not been able to reverse the right aileron servo. I had posted a while back that I had inadvertantly left a lipo plugged into the Corsair overnight in the trunk of my car. The next morning the ailerons were working as flaps in the same direction. ??

I have tried two transmitters trying to reverse the one servo at the brick so they work as ailerons again...but no luck so far.

I fear my stupidity has caused permanent damage to the Corsair.

I will probably call HH for the first time to see if they have any ideas...now that's deflating! There has not been anything on these UMs that I have not been able to fix/repair up to this point.......but this has me stumped
I was looking for an answer to this question, which was posted back in July. I just freed-up a stuck aileron servo and BOOM! Now I have my ailerons working in the same direction.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I haven't been able to fly the Corsair for many weeks, finally fixed it... and now THIS.

Thanks,
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
There might be a problem with the receiver. All computerized devices do weird things when their power supply gradually fades. As a possible workaround, there is such a thing as a "servo reversing lead" that will reverse the direction it goes. When I broke a servo on my Corsair, I ordered a new one and it came with an extension in the package. It doesn't say if it is just an extension or a reversing lead.

Another option would be to separate the servos so they are running off separate channels, such as one on aileron and one on x-port or something...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
I haven't been following this issue closely, so I may have missed a bit. A brief Google search shows that others have had the same problem with various dual aileron servo UMs after solving a locked aileron servo issue or after letting a battery run dead while connected to the brick.

I am aware of three ways to reverse a UM servo (aside from using the 'reverse' function on the tx):

1) Channels can be individually reversed on the rx via tx stick-position programming.

2) There is a 'servo reversing lead' that can be plugged into a UM servo to reverse the actual servo. Once reversed, the 'reversing lead' is removed - which means that something gets "reprogrammed" in the servo.

3) The brick can be programmed for dual-channel ailerons, instead of the default 'reversed Ch 2' configuration.'

I'm not sure how the 'servo reversing lead' works. However, it seems plausible that a servo may somehow get reversed in the process of sticking/unsticking.

Regarding leaving the battery plugged in until it dies - this can reprogram the brick for dual aileron channels, or it can reprogram it for brushless, or it can reverse a channel.

Here's the AR6400 manual. It covers reprogramming servo directions on the rx, the 'servo reversing lead', along with changing between dual-chan ailerons & the default single-chan ailerons w/built-in reverser.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMAR6400L.pdf

Hope this helps!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Servo Reversing

I've been wondering ever since getting the replacement servo for the Corsair if that extra adapter in the package was really a servo reversing lead or just an extension. I just tested it with my multimeter and it appears that it is a reversing lead. It would essentially short out the orange and red wires to the servo, and connect them to the brown and red at the receiver, which would also be shorted together. The brown wire at the servo would be connected to the orange (signal) wire on the receiver.

There are things out there called "servo reversers" but they work differently. They are put in between the receiver and the servo and left in place and the servo gets reversed. This thing is just put there temporarily, and when the power is connected, the servo gets reprogrammed to run the other way. Then the servo reversing lead must be removed and the servo is connected back up in the normal way.

Knowing this, it would be possible for someone to cut and switch wires, connect the power to reprogram it, and then cut and reconnect the wires back to their original configuration. That would be if you didn't have a reversing lead and you really wanted to get it done.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Servo reverser

I had a similar problem on my UM Mosquito where one of the aileron channels on the brick had failed (that aileron servo locked "hard down"). So, I used a servo reversing lead to reverse one of the aileron servos, then connected both servos to the operating aileron channel on the brick with a Y-harness. Worked like a charm!

Here's the HH listing for the servo reverser:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...verser-SPM6825

It's only $1.99, so makes for a cheap fix!
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:30 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
It looks the same as the one that came with my new servo. Here is what it says on the web page...

"The AS2000 Servo Reverser installs between the AR6400 Receiver (SPMAR6400) and the optional AS2000 servo (SPMAS2000) to reverse the direction of travel."

That gives me the impression that you "install" it and leave it there. Is that what you did, or did you take it out after the servo was re-programmed? The manual for the AR6400 seems to be saying you would put it there temporarily and then remove it after the servo was re-programmed.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
You take it after after the servo is reversed, AFAIK.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
It looks the same as the one that came with my new servo. Here is what it says on the web page...

"The AS2000 Servo Reverser installs between the AR6400 Receiver (SPMAR6400) and the optional AS2000 servo (SPMAS2000) to reverse the direction of travel."

That gives me the impression that you "install" it and leave it there. Is that what you did, or did you take it out after the servo was re-programmed? The manual for the AR6400 seems to be saying you would put it there temporarily and then remove it after the servo was re-programmed.
I connected the "reverser" between the servo and the brick, powered it on, then powered off and removed the reverser. That's all there was to it .... When you connect the servo back up to the brick, that servo will be reversed.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:17 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post
I connected the "reverser" between the servo and the brick, powered it on, then powered off and removed the reverser. That's all there was to it .... When you connect the servo back up to the brick, that servo will be reversed.
Ok, that agrees with what it says in the receiver manual. The use of the word "installs" on the HH web page is a little misleading for something you are going to remove a few seconds later. So now the question is...does the change happen in the servo or in the receiver? I am guessing it would be in the servo.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
So now the question is...does the change happen in the servo or in the receiver? I am guessing it would be in the servo.
I think the change is in the servo. After reversing my "locked" aileron servo with the "reverser cable", I connected both aileron servos to a Y-harness to control them from the brick's single operating aileron channel. The servo that was originally OK continued operating in the same direction as before, while the reversed servo was ... reversed. FWIW, here's my original post describing this in the UM Mossie thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3135
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Hi Guys thought id post a few pics of my plane. As you can see its had a few knocks,but i have only been flying for 2 weeks and this is my first dip into rc planes.
Iv flown micro helis but this is more rewarding i find its easy to repair any mistakes and i can fly in the air for longer.
Iv noticed alot of people have had tail happy issues and used a coin on the nose,i had the same problem but think i found a better solution for this by pinching the metal bar closer that is attached to the airilon.
Iv also found in learning that its best to fly on a nice big field iv been doing this now since my last repair and its been great.Even with the tape and epoxy glue thats holding it together the plane is flying really well.Iv got all my rates at 100% and im doing roles and loops.It has also helped that iv had Phoenix flight sim which i practice on when i can.
My next dilema is what to get next....do i go for another micro,i quite like the umx gee bee or do i go for a larger parkzone mustang.Any thought would be muchly appreciated.
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadaz View Post
My next dilema is what to get next....do i go for another micro,i quite like the umx gee bee or do i go for a larger parkzone mustang.Any thought would be muchly appreciated.
I've got 4 warbirds sitting here, 2 Corsairs and 2 Mustangs. The main advantage of the parkflyer size over the UM's is that the bigger ones can handle winds that would totally ground the micros. I find the Corsairs easier and more relaxing to fly than the Mustangs. I think it's just because they can turn quicker, and therefore are more suitable to small spaces. The wing shape of the Corsairs ends up giving you a bit of dihedral and that makes them more stable and self-righting. On the other hand, the upswept wings are more difficult in cross-wind landings.

They are both great planes, and it is a tough call. I find the Mustangs take up a little more room, whereas the Corsairs can turn on a dime, and I like that. I have a hopped-up engine on my parkflyer-size Mustang, and that thing is seriously fast, but now it needs more room than the average "park" has. The Corsair can float around at speeds that would make even the stock Mustang drop out of the sky like a brick.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:08 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
I don't have it but i always hear good things 'bout the PZ T-28?? But you mentioned Mustang so not quite sure if this will satisfy ya?? Good luck with your next plane!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut