SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,921 Posts
The prop is screwed onto a shaft that is geard to the motor pinion. You must secure the shaft and spin the prop CCW. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I can't seem to remove the 3 blade prop from the motor? How did you guys do it? I started pulling really hard on the front, and was afraid I'd pull the little motor right out of the plane if I pulled any harder on the prop. Do you have to remove the motor first to change props?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
The prop is screwed onto a shaft that is geard to the motor pinion. You must secure the shaft and spin the prop CCW. Lee
A very thin needle nose pliers works great to grab the shaft between the prop and cowling.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Okay lol thanks, glad I didn't try to force it. I think I need to replace my prop shaft too, it looks a little bent when i spin the prop by hand. Is this difficult to do? I haven't opened up the foam yet to see inside.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
It is not hard to straighten it if it's not bent too far. There is a plastic nut on the other end that has a reverse thread on it. Between the nut and the bushing is a brass washer that is easy to lose because at first you don't realize it is there. Don't try to remove the gear from the shaft, but just bend the shaft a bit with pliers and spin it between your fingers until it feels right. I've done this lots of times. When putting the prop back on, you have to be very careful not to cross thread it during the first couple of turns. I keep a new shaft on hand for when all else fails.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
the "dime method" might work, but try opening the fuselage and add a couple of small drops of silicone or hot glue. try not to melt the foam, as i almost did. it's the perfect amount of weight and you don't have anything stuck to the outside. myself and a guy in the club had the same issue and now they fly perfect with the trim neutral.
novabone1015 is offline Find More Posts by novabone1015
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:37 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
How do you all replace the tail feathers on this thing? I REALLY LOVE this bird, mostly becuase it flies so terrible, and I scrunched my tail feathers so bad, I really need to replace them, its making me manstruate.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:05 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
How do you all replace the tail feathers on this thing? I REALLY LOVE this bird, mostly becuase it flies so terrible, and I scrunched my tail feathers so bad, I really need to replace them, its making me manstruate.
After yesterday's devastating crash, I believe there is nothing that can't be fixed with epoxy. Why would you want to replace your tail feathers, when you could intoxicate them with glue? I love the word "manstruate". It is the second-best word I learned today.

The government is trying to screw our teachers and today the teachers went on strike. The government passed a law that forbid them from picketing. Today I saw some of them carrying signs on main street and I asked them how they got around the law and offered them my support. They told me that they could not picket on the school property but could carry signs on main street. They called it "sticketing". Long live power to the people.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:52 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I just dont want to add to tail wieght, and want them to be peefect, nt warped like mine have become.
I dont think i could say anything useful about teachers, other than high school was one of my worst experiences and im glad to be rid of it
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
I just dont want to add to tail wieght, and want them to be peefect, nt warped like mine have become.
I dont think i could say anything useful about teachers, other than high school was one of my worst experiences and im glad to be rid of it
I believe you can buy the fuselage and tail section as one, also the wing (minus servos). A major surgery indeed to transplant.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:59 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The government is trying to screw our teachers and today the teachers went on strike. The government passed a law that forbid them from picketing. Today I saw some of them carrying signs on main street and I asked them how they got around the law and offered them my support. They told me that they could not picket on the school property but could carry signs on main street. They called it "sticketing". Long live power to the people.
Isn't it amazing that some people voted for that? Screw the education and invest in the army, make you wonder were our country is going now, for sure!. Only good news about this is the fact that my F-35 is correctly wearing canadian colors. Otherwise, I guess my next best airplane would have been a canadian L-39 with no weapons!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:13 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Just to clarify, the crash I mentioned a few posts back was not with this plane. I ran a couple of batteries through the little Corsair yesterday and did a bunch of landings and touches on the hard snow surface. I'm loving the bigger wheels and would recommend them as a worthwhile mod.

When I took the stock ones off, it was obvious that the holes in the middle were way too big for the thin axles. That sloppiness contributed to the nose-overs by reducing the smoothness of the roll. I don't know if they were like that when it was new, or if the holes were worn from use. If yours are like that, I would suggest taking them off and making the holes smaller.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novabone1015 View Post
the "dime method" might work, but try opening the fuselage and add a couple of small drops of silicone or hot glue. try not to melt the foam, as i almost did. it's the perfect amount of weight and you don't have anything stuck to the outside. myself and a guy in the club had the same issue and now they fly perfect with the trim neutral.
The outside "Dime Method" is just to see if it works for you. If it does, open her up and glue a 5 or 6mm hex nut (or a 1/2" nut) inside the bottom of the nose and forget about it.

I got my Corsair and have really enjoyed it since putting that little bit of extra weight inside.

Now, I'm running a 5043 and 250-300mah Sky Lipos underneath, (HobbyPartz: $2) and this plane can fly in 8MPH winds with no problem.

I crashed it on Sat. though: the RH aileron jammed in the down position and she spun in. Luckily, it landed in tall grass. But I can't seem to be able to get that servo clean enough so it doesn't jam.

Any ideas?

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:42 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Dime it up, baby!!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
The outside "Dime Method" is just to see if it works for you. If it does, open her up and glue a 5 or 6mm hex nut (or a 1/2" nut) inside the bottom of the nose and forget about it.

I got my Corsair and have really enjoyed it since putting that little bit of extra weight inside.

Now, I'm running a 5043 and 250-300mah Sky Lipos underneath, (HobbyPartz: $2) and this plane can fly in 8MPH winds with no problem.

I crashed it on Sat. though: the RH aileron jammed in the down position and she spun in. Luckily, it landed in tall grass. But I can't seem to be able to get that servo clean enough so it doesn't jam.

Any ideas?

Mac
Does the 5043 have the same center hub diameter, screws right on? I found a GWS prop 50xx can't remember exactly but the hole in the middle was way too big, don't know how I would attach it to the F4U drive shaft. I've had the aileron stick too, but its always been because the control rod slips through the horn on one side.. So far I've always been able to get it down in one piece. You sure it is your servos? I like my dime on the outside, can't see it when it is flying, certainly less of a distraction than the big honkin battery strapped to the bottom
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:51 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Does the 5043 have the same center hub diameter, screws right on? I found a GWS prop 50xx can't remember exactly but the hole in the middle was way too big, don't know how I would attach it to the F4U drive shaft. I've had the aileron stick too, but its always been because the control rod slips through the horn on one side.. So far I've always been able to get it down in one piece. You sure it is your servos? I like my dime on the outside, can't see it when it is flying, certainly less of a distraction than the big honkin battery strapped to the bottom
If you have a big enough and honkin enough battery, and it is far enough forward, you shouldn't need the dime. The 5043 has a big honkin hole and will not screw onto the drive shaft. RCBabbel has some adapters that seem to be made out of bamboo that work well, or you could make your own.

There is a guy on the SBach thread who is also having issues with this same servo sticking. His servo will move and then stick, and when he touches it with his finger, it moves again, and then sticks again. Hmmmmm. Every time he touches it, it moves to where the transmitter stick says it should go, but sticks again until touched.