Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
I have added the dime and put the elevator rod in the proper hole, and it is still really pitch sensitive, even with full nose forward trim on my DX5e, it still pitches up quite a bit (aft CG).

This is my first RC airplane and it has been a chore for me to figure out. I can control it in 11 knot wind now, but it isn't fun to fly in even 0 knots wind.

We bought my boss a T-28 for his birthday and I flew it. It is night and day better flying than the Corsair.

Any other tips? I think I might replace the dime with a penny or a bigger battery or something.
mojo6911 is offline Find More Posts by mojo6911
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
I have added the dime and put the elevator rod in the proper hole, and it is still really pitch sensitive, even with full nose forward trim on my DX5e, it still pitches up quite a bit (aft CG).

This is my first RC airplane and it has been a chore for me to figure out. I can control it in 11 knot wind now, but it isn't fun to fly in even 0 knots wind.

We bought my boss a T-28 for his birthday and I flew it. It is night and day better flying than the Corsair.

Any other tips? I think I might replace the dime with a penny or a bigger battery or something.
You have to get the weight of the battery more forward. I cut as much foam from the motor cowling area as I could in front of the battery tray area without running out of battery cable and with the battery much more forward the corsair flies much better. I think you should try the prop from a UMX P-51 rather than the 3 blade Cosair prop for more power as well if you haven't already.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:

The T-28 is an aileron trainer that only looks like a warbird. In contrast, the F4U is a warbird that flies like a warbird. It was never intended to be a beginner's plane. it actually flies quite well when the CG is right, once the pilot learns how to properly fly a warbird.

Try a higher-capacity, more powerful battery, such as the Hyperion 240 mAh 'UM' cell. I posted pics a few pages back of how I set mine up to handle the larger battery & get the CG right. No dead-weight is required with this battery.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:32 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The T-28 is an aileron trainer that only looks like a warbird. In contrast, the F4U is a warbird that flies like a warbird. It was never intended to be a beginner's plane. it actually flies quite well when the CG is right, once the pilot learns how to properly fly a warbird.

Try a higher-capacity, more powerful battery, such as the Hyperion 240 mAh 'UM' cell. I posted pics a few pages back of how I set mine up to handle the larger battery & get the CG right. No dead-weight is required with this battery.

Joel
I'd go with Turbo's advice. I followed his "to do" list before my maiden flight and my first flight was GREAT!! Got in touch with RCBabbel & ordered two 1S 180mAh Babbel Batts (for the much needed weight in the front) as well as the GWS 5043 prop & prop adaptor. Dremeled out where the battery sits to accomodate the larger flater battery & all went well. Now my second flight was a different story, left wing broke off & now i have to replace the wing, hopefully back in the air Monday.....
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
A dime is not enough

Quote:

My suggestion would be to do this in 2 stages. As a quick and dirty (and temporary) measure, I would keep adding weight to the nose until the CG is where the manual says it should be. Then take it out and fly it and it will make your day. Once you know that it can fly and you can fly, you can tinker around with battery size and placement to recreate that CG without dead weight. I was totally frustrated as well, and now that plane will fly with hands off the sticks for an amazing length of time.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, MD, Prince Frederick
Joined Mar 2008
116 Posts
I took an AS3X receiver and hd servos along with a eflite brusheless 180 and stuck it in the corsair. It flew real nice. The AS3X stabilized it for landings so you could slow it down. Wings did bow a little on some more extreme maneuvers. Neat little plane and not terribly fast. Now I pulled the receiver and ailerons etc and am putting them in a Sky Angel f-86 ducted fan. Takes a couple hours and the ducted fan motor will run right off the brushless controller built in. Hope to maiden this weekend weather permitting.
j5cub is online now Find More Posts by j5cub
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j5cub View Post
I took an AS3X receiver and hd servos along with a eflite brusheless 180 and stuck it in the corsair. It flew real nice. The AS3X stabilized it for landings so you could slow it down. Wings did bow a little on some more extreme maneuvers. Neat little plane and not terribly fast. Now I pulled the receiver and ailerons etc and am putting them in a Sky Angel f-86 ducted fan. Takes a couple hours and the ducted fan motor will run right off the brushless controller built in. Hope to maiden this weekend weather permitting.
Cool! Just think of the fun we'll have once the user-programmable, servoless AS3X brushless brick is released! Should be available around the same time as the Mig 15 EDF, which uses the same brick.

We'll be able to download programs for some of the more popular HH UMs, along with a few base programs for general fixed-wing types, such as slowflyer, aerobatic, 3D, warbird, racer that experimenters & scratch-builders will be able to tweak for our own projects. Just plug the USB adapter cable into your PC & the X-port - and download away!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
I had the same gearbox grinding sound /issue. Is this some defect in the parts? I've replaced the gears/shafts. Same thing happens after a few mins of flight. So now I replace the motor and gearbox. Haven't had anything like this happen on my P-51, T-28 etc. Has anyone found a reason?
stevb is offline Find More Posts by stevb
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!!!

Last night (after 2 1/2hrs!) I put her new wing on as well as her new decals (I think the decal part took 2hrs) and I just got in from her 3rd flight!! PERFECT!! Of course I'm using a Babbel 180mAh batt with the GWS 5043 prop, but she flew GREAT!! No trimming necessary, flew just like her maiden flight! Did 3 full-stop take offs and landings and all went well! (I'm having better luck landing her than her big sister! Full size PZ Corsair, I'm in a rut with her on my last 2 landings??) I did forget to move her AIL control rods to the most inner hole for the faster rolls, but loved the victory rolls!!! From now on it's calm winds for me when she flies, but the wing replacement was NOT bad at all, had the computer up watching the HH video the entire time for the step-by-step instructions. And I have ZERO build skills!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Feb 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added text
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
SUCCESS!!!!!!

Last night (after 2 1/2hrs!) I put her new wing on as well as her new decals (I think the decal part took 2hrs) and I just got in from her 3rd flight!! PERFECT!! Of course I'm using a Babbel 180mAh batt with the GWS 5043 prop, but she flew GREAT!! No trimming necessary, flew just like her maiden flight! Did 3 full-stop take offs and landings and all went well! (I'm having better luck landing her than her big sister! Full size PZ Corsair, I'm in a rut with her on my last 2 landings??) I did forget to move her AIL control rods to the most inner hole for the faster rolls, but loved the victory rolls!!! From now on it's calm winds for me when she flies, but the wing replacement was NOT bad at all, had the computer up watching the HH video the entire time for the step-by-step instructions. And I have ZERO build skills!!
Maybe you used to have zero build skills, but those days are over. Hopefully you have made some kind of servo protectors because the aileron servos are very exposed and fragile. I'm using the Hyperion 250 batteries with the larger connector. I just made up a buddy-box cable because my friend wants to try it and I'm going to use the micro Corsair to teach him because it is such an easy plane to fly once the CG is set right. I can set the trim to where it makes big circles and flies level without any input from me at all.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevb View Post
I had the same gearbox grinding sound /issue. Is this some defect in the parts? I've replaced the gears/shafts. Same thing happens after a few mins of flight. So now I replace the motor and gearbox. Haven't had anything like this happen on my P-51, T-28 etc. Has anyone found a reason?
Those 8.5mm motors have a notorious reputation for inconsistent quality. Some have good power, and some don't. Some last for years, and some fail after 2 flights. I'm on the 3rd one one the P51 and it is already making noises. The one on the Corsair has worked really well, so I got lucky there. Apparently the Bravo motors are supposed to be better but I haven't got my hands on one yet. What HH should do is find a different motor for this plane that is a little heavier and a little more powerful, and a lot more dependable, and kill 3 birds with one stone.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Those 8.5mm motors have a notorious reputation for inconsistent quality. Some have good power, and some don't. Some last for years, and some fail after 2 flights. I'm on the 3rd one one the P51 and it is already making noises. The one on the Corsair has worked really well, so I got lucky there. Apparently the Bravo motors are supposed to be better but I haven't got my hands on one yet. What HH should do is find a different motor for this plane that is a little heavier and a little more powerful, and a lot more dependable, and kill 3 birds with one stone.
I haven't tried a Bravo SX motor yet either, but if you want more power and just a little more weight the motor from the Horizon Hobby Blade mSRX might be perfect. It's just a little longer but the same 8.5mm diameter. Unfortunately it also has that iffy reliability record. The Blade mSRX is a ferrari compared to the older mSR that had the same sized motor as the Corsair/P51.

John in Merrill
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
That sounds interesting. I have an MSR and the motor has a pinion with 8 teeth. The Micro plane's pinions have 9 teeth. How many does the one in your MSRx have? It's also the same motor in the 120SR tail rotor, another motor with a bad reputation. Speaking of Ferraris, have you tried the MCPx yet?

Has anybody ever tried a 180 brushless on one cell, running off the ESC that is built into the board? I figure some kind of one cell brushless motor is the answer to this long-standing issue. It seems that a 2S brushless system with a separate ESC would just make this plane too heavy and stress out the landing gear and the wing even more.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
That sounds interesting. I have an MSR and the motor has a pinion with 8 teeth. The Micro plane's pinions have 9 teeth. How many does the one in your MSRx have? It's also the same motor in the 120SR tail rotor, another motor with a bad reputation. Speaking of Ferraris, have you tried the MCPx yet?

Has anybody ever tried a 180 brushless on one cell, running off the ESC that is built into the board? I figure some kind of one cell brushless motor is the answer to this long-standing issue. It seems that a 2S brushless system with a separate ESC would just make this plane too heavy and stress out the landing gear and the wing even more.
The mSRX motor seems to have the same 8 tooth pinion that is on the mSR. Horizon sells a pinion puller that is supposed to work on these motors. I have one on order.

With recent purchases of an mQX, mSRX, and a Xieda 9958 (mSR clone), my shopping budget is gone for a while. So far I don't think I will need an mCPX or any larger helicopters. I live on the Wisconsin River and fly RC seaplanes and boats as well as other land based planes including the UM Corsair. I might try an mSRX motor in it when we get rid of the snow.

John in Merrill
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:

Eflite 180 on 1s? I think the Kv is to low for good performance on 1s with the available props.

There is an entire thread dedicated to 1s b/l conversions on the PZ UM planes. All of the 1s dd setups have less power than the stock P-51motor. The only way to match or beat the thrust-to-weight of the stock setup on 1s is to go geared b/l.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081138

If you want the same power as stock, but with far greater longevity, install the Nine Eagles Solo Pro motor. If you want a 40% increase in thrust, install the Nine Eagles Bravo SX motor. Of course, the SX motor requires top-notch, higher-capacity batteries, such as the Hyperion 180 or 240. The Hyperion160 will be heavily overloaded in this app.

Yes, it's still a brushed solution - but most people are getting many hundreds of flights with the SP & SX motors. Plus - QC seems to be much better, as there are far fewer duds, and power output seems to be much more consistent between samples.

If you're not comfortable with swapping pinions & motor connectors, contact RCBabbel. He sells plug & play SP & SX motors.

Joel
RCG Plus Member