HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:01 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I have default inputs. I am new to rc. I use a dx7 with stock model setup.
Whenever I try to take off from wheels on ground the nose just falls over and hits the ground. If I have the 3 blade prop on it takes off via wheels no problem
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:37 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Well "nose bomb" right after take off is rather vague with no other explanation, especially that it flies just fine if it is handlaunched. Are you talking about as the tail comes up as you gain speed, the propeller strikes the ground and causes a nose-over? And on landing, the propeller strikes the ground and cuases a nose-over?
In that case, it would be becuase the 2 blade is a much longer diameter, you have less prop clearance, in that case, you want to take off with lots of power and up elevator so that it takes off while the tail is still on the ground, and try to land at a shallower angle.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
this is the case and i already tried what you said before posting here with the issue but i will try again. maybe it was the wind or something . thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Well "nose bomb" right after take off is rather vague with no other explanation, especially that it flies just fine if it is handlaunched. Are you talking about as the tail comes up as you gain speed, the propeller strikes the ground and causes a nose-over? And on landing, the propeller strikes the ground and cuases a nose-over?
In that case, it would be becuase the 2 blade is a much longer diameter, you have less prop clearance, in that case, you want to take off with lots of power and up elevator so that it takes off while the tail is still on the ground, and try to land at a shallower angle.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:57 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
I find that with these tiny wheels, the smoothness of the landing strip is critical. I can do beautiful takeoffs and landings on the tennis court, because it is so smooth. I have varying degrees of success on regular pavement, depending on how rough it is. You only need to hit a piece of gravel the size of a pea or a small bump or crack to cause problems, especially when it is going slow.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:59 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
+1 regarding the tiny wheel size. At home I fly from asphalt and have changed the stock foam wheels to GWS versions from Hobby King. Available in 25mm, about 38mm, and larger sizes. Although not quite right looking they solved my nose over problems!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
That is the solution all right. Who cares how it looks. I made a set of wheels for the Sbach that are about 25mm and the problem is solved. That plane has threaded axles so it is easy. How did you get the wheels off the Corsair? Just pull on them? If you have a picture with the bigger wheels that would be great.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,685 Posts
FINALLY was able to maiden her today!! As per TurboParker I ordered from RCBabbel a GWS 5043 Prop and two 1S 180mAh batts. Dremeled out the bottom fuselage to accommodate the larger battery and stepped out in the street to go fly. It was GREAT!!! I did need a few clicks of down ELE trim and a few clicks of right RUDD and right AIL, but after that all was well!!! It did remind me of her big brother with the exception of inverted flight, had to "work" at it but that's it!! I had a blast!! Wind was light and variable so I was already wondering how she would've handled it with AS3X installed, LOL, but I had a blast, thanks for all the help and tips!!! Sure would've hated to fly her WITHOUT those two mods!! I'll be placing a few more orders for some Babbel Batts!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
coconut
I'm glad to hear about your successful maiden flight. I wish I would have known then what I know now when I did my maiden. It is amazing how similar it flies to it's big sister with those tight turns and floaty quality. I changed the battery compartment and connector to take the same 200 mah batteries as the MCPx and it flew well but I wanted more power.

Now I have the 5043 prop I've heard so much about and some Hyperion 250 batteries that were designed for the MCPx. I have been flying the Sbach so much that it is difficult to be objective about any performance gains on the Corsair. It definitely does not have unlimited vertical, and doesn't seem all that different than it was before. The next step is a Bravo SX motor, which I don't have my hands on yet. I figure the stock motor is now the weak link.
Last edited by Jovanx; Feb 12, 2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: missed it
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,617 Posts
Rcoconut,

Congrats on your successful maiden! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the performance with the 5043 & Hyperions. A simple prop & battery change really transforms this plane!

Jovanx,

I'll be interested in hearing how it goes with the SX motor. I know that RCBabbel was getting some impressive power gains with it in his XP. Around 40% over the stock motor when both were running Hyp 240s & 5043 props, if I remember correctly. Should make a big difference in this airframe. With all of that extra power, you may even be able to use the scale 3-blade prop again & still have plenty of performance.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,685 Posts
Thanks guys! Just got home after being gone a few days for work and so looking forward to flying the micro Corsair tomorrow!! Told a buddy of mine 'bout the flight & he could not believe how positive my experience was with her. He was soooo disappointed with his maiden flight as well as the micro F4U in general & he feels that he made a bad purchase. But no drama, I hooked him up with RCBabbel for the 5043 prop & his Babbel Batts so hopefully things will be better for him.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
There was a time when I thought it was a bad purchase also. I was frustrated because it was so tail heavy and I blamed myself and then on the 3rd day an aileron servo broke. I had to wait several weeks for a new one, and during that period, every time I looked at it sitting there I felt ripped off. Now that the new servo is in and the CG is right it literally flies by itself. It is very responsive and turns in a tight circle, and that makes it a good plane for small spaces.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,685 Posts
I was so bummed I couldn't write this on the forum 'til 24hrs later.... Took of yesterday and a gust of wind took her right wing and lifted it right over. She crashed left wing tip first and the left wing broke clean off. The replacement wing arrived today so now I'll have to add that to my "To Do" list for next week. I don't think if she had AS3X she could've been saved, but I'm still happy 'bout the purchase and looking forward to watching the John Redman step-by step video on how to replace the wing. At least her big brother flew GREAT yesterday so that made me feel better!!!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
It doesn't take much to tear the wings off a Corsair.

Both of mine have had one or both wings torn off and glued back on.

They fly fine.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,924 Posts
If it was me I'd try to glue it back together and keep the new wing for if all else fails. These wings are made of a very brittle foam and the whole plane is quite fragile. It doesn't do wind very well and I don't fly mine in the wind anymore. I've got other planes that can handle the wind, and I save the little Corsair for calm days.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
If it was me I'd try to glue it back together and keep the new wing for if all else fails. These wings are made of a very brittle foam and the whole plane is quite fragile. It doesn't do wind very well and I don't fly mine in the wind anymore. I've got other planes that can handle the wind, and I save the little Corsair for calm days.
I did think about that but it has a bad crease starting from the trailing edge half way to the leading edge. I'm afraid the wing root would be solid but that crease would fold. I think you're right, I'll have to save her for calm days. Glad to hear the wing fix will be fine. Can't wait to get her back up in the air though.