SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Wing Servo Covers

I have already broken 3 or 4 servos since early March, so naturally I'm pretty wary of those unprotected servos hangin'out in the breeze on our Corsairs.

So, I started looking around for something I could use to protect them - especially since I'd love to try out some gearless scale flight and belly-landings.

There was a guy in another forum who used some cut-offs from a 2-liter bottle which looked excellent, but I couldn't find any in our house. But I had purchased a 3-pack of glue and the blister pack was shaped like each tube, so I cut two of these plastic pieces out, trimmed them and used some foam-safe CA to attach them under the wings.
But the thin strip of CA wasn't going to be strong enough in a hard hit, so I decided to clear tape them as well.

They seem to do their job and the servos have just enough room to work.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 08:36 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
OK, which of these two is better for a less experienced pilot, T28 or F4U.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 08, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Those are some nice servo protectors; I'll probably have to do something similar soon as those exposed servos seem way too vulnerable.

village_idiot, someone who has both may give you better input but from what I've read seems that the T28 is more forgiving.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old May 08, 2011, 09:43 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
The Corsair was the first time I'd flown an outdoor 4 channel bird. I did a loop and a roll in my maiden. Never used a T-28, but if I can fly the Corsair, either should work for you.

But I'm gonna get some servo protectors on my Corsair.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old May 08, 2011, 09:48 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
I'd go with the T-28.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old May 08, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
It also depends what you mean by less experienced. If it is your first plane, then probably none of them is a good idea. I had a Champ before getting my Corsair and it's been challenging but definitely doable. So if you have experience with a Champ or something similar any of them should work well.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old May 08, 2011, 11:20 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Not the first plane, but definitely not Beast level. Just wish they had put a brushless in the F4U, that would help to make the decision. I really need both so that I could fly a pack in one, land to let the motor cool while I fly the other one. Repeat until finished. My radio will run for about 4 hours so that pretty much limits the time unless I want to do a battery change.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'd go with the T-28.
+1 on the T-28.
It has a far-more forgiving nature about it. The fuselage is sort of "cradled" in a pretty decent dihedral angle, making it an easy plane to fly.
But it comes with the P-51 motor and full-wing ailerons, so it's a great handler.

I enjoy both planes, (F4U /T-28) but the T-28 is the more relaxing flyer!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old May 09, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2008
677 Posts
There's a great show on Discovery HD right now about the P-51 Mustang and a Corsair one should be on soon as well
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 12:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
MaladroitFL,

Those servo covers look great! I didn't bother with them on the Beast, as have not plans to fly it sans gear. However.....the F4U is a different story. I'd like to fly it in my backyard....down low, zig-zagging between the trees -as I do with the XP. For this, I need the ability to belly-land. Those servo covers will be just the ticket.

Do they have a noticeable effect on the flight characteristics?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
My guess is those covers could actually reduce drag which would be a good thing. Kind of surprised Horizon hasn't made a set of option covers for the Beast and Corsair, but then I guess that would also be admitting there is a problem.

Thanks for the tips on the T28 vs. Corsair, it is what I thought but was worth the question to find out before I wrecked a plane. I have a bunch of 3 channel (RET) time and understand how ailerons should work so I could probably handle either, but it isn't worth the headache trying to handle something slightly beyond my current skill's grasp. Eventually I must have a Corsair but I'm sure it will be available when I'm ready, and you guys will have all the bugs worked out for me.
Old May 09, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
OK, which of these two is better for a less experienced pilot, T28 or F4U.
The T28 fly a little easier and have the better performance because of the lower weight. The T28 can climb vertical the Corsair not but the Corsair looks nicer and can have flaps with the two aileron servos.

microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,188 Posts
OK mister!! spill the beans... where did you get that plane stand!!!??

you can't post a pic like that and get away w/o sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
The T28 fly a little easier and have the better performance because of the lower weight. The T28 can climb vertical the Corsair not but the Corsair looks nicer and can have flaps with the two aileron servos.

HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old May 09, 2011, 05:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,737 Posts
FYI -

The main reasons that the T-28 can out-climb the F4U are:

* The F4U's 3-blade prop is much less efficient than the 5" x 2.75" 2-blade that's used on the T-28, P-51, XP, and Champ.

* The F4U's strut covers add a ton of drag.

Regarding which one would make the best 4-channel training platform - it's the T-28, hands-down. It's more forgiving at low speeds. Plus, takeoffs are easier with trike gear ships than they are with taildraggers.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
OK mister!! spill the beans... where did you get that plane stand!!!??
I wrote some for the stand in this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1308598
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli