HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,461 Posts
I must be spoiled. My club is like family. I fly some big glow planes, and I love the micros. I fly them at the field and nobody complains, in fact they are very complimentary. I couldn't imagine not being a part of it. WE are always grilling burgers and dogs, bringing the family out and having a great time. I get so aggravated with people like in the thread I was pointing out. I'm 30 years old, I'm one of the younger pilots in the club. If The "fogs" make a habit of always attacking the youngins the club will die. Thankfully our club is going through a renaisance period. It just aggravates me to see people act like that towards UM. that UM will lead to a foamie, that will lead to a small balsa electric, that will lead to the 40, 60, 90 etc. size plane. These people aren't attacking young kids with toy planes, they are attacking future club members.

Anyway, ill get off my soapbox.

I maidened the corsair today. It was 45 degrees and I had the three bladed prop. It felt like it was dragging its tail through the sky and really wasn't a comfortable flyer, but it sure did look good. I guess I need to go to a 2 blade P-51 prop. Still i am amaized at the level of detail on this UM.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Hog the nose out and move the battery forward and the Corsair flies good.

My local club is the same old 25 guys and they are just getting older. There are some great, dynamic people in the club, but there is no compelling reason for me to stay a member.

With no paved runway and half the club flying heli's there is zero chance of a paved runway in the future.

I belonged to the club because I feel we should support our local clubs, but if someone puts in a paved runway 20 minutes or less drive from my house, I'm joining that club and will do everything I can to make it successful.

The Problem is, the current club was dynamic and huge in the past (before electrics, park fliers and micro existed), so when somebody brings up the idea of a new club, the response is "why do you need a new club, there is a perfectly good club/flying field just 3 miles away..."
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Mac's Dime Mod

At the start of this thread, we had a discussion about the Corsair's CG. I had taped a dime underneath the cowl after struggling with the plane's squirrelly handling. The 2.2 gram US Dime solved the problem.

I called it "The Dime Mod."
I should add that I had moved the battery as far forward as possible and still couldn't get it to fly right.

Some guys weren't having this issue at all-- others were giving up on the plane all together. Some were simply appalled at the mere mention of adding dead weight rather than just putting in a bigger lipo.

But to each his own and "live and let live" I say!
(Although I should add that I've seen Airfield (NP) recommend adding nose weight and also when you go with a brushless conversion on many larger planes, you need to add a few ounces of dead weight as far front as possible. The Super Cub LP is a great example of this.)

But lot of us reclaimed our F4U's -- by using the dime.
Here we are, several months down the road and my Corsair still flies great with a 2.1gram hex nut glued inside the lower cowl.

If you are having CG problems, and the battery is as far forward as possible.
Just tape a dime under the nose and give it a try. If you don't like it, remove the dime. No harm done!
But if it works for you, then glue a 5 or 6mm hex nut inside and forget about it.
I flew my Corsair today...with a new Solo Pro motor and 2.1 grams of extra nose weight and it was a GAS!

Mac
PS:
Here's my maiden -- with a penny taped under the nose. If you have trouble, why not give it a try?!
UM F4U Corsair CG Adjustment (7 min 58 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
Following your advise Mac! I just installed 2.3gms plus a dab of hot glue inside the cowl. hahahha. I just know it will be better. Tomorrow will be a great day. Thanks for the advise buddy. I was just about to rip the elects out of it. Woo, that was a close call.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:27 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I must be spoiled. My club is like family. I fly some big glow planes, and I love the micros. I fly them at the field and nobody complains, in fact they are very complimentary. I couldn't imagine not being a part of it. WE are always grilling burgers and dogs, bringing the family out and having a great time. I get so aggravated with people like in the thread I was pointing out. I'm 30 years old, I'm one of the younger pilots in the club. If The "fogs" make a habit of always attacking the youngins the club will die. Thankfully our club is going through a renaisance period. It just aggravates me to see people act like that towards UM. that UM will lead to a foamie, that will lead to a small balsa electric, that will lead to the 40, 60, 90 etc. size plane. These people aren't attacking young kids with toy planes, they are attacking future club members.

Anyway, ill get off my soapbox.

I maidened the corsair today. It was 45 degrees and I had the three bladed prop. It felt like it was dragging its tail through the sky and really wasn't a comfortable flyer, but it sure did look good. I guess I need to go to a 2 blade P-51 prop. Still i am amaized at the level of detail on this UM.
I agree 100% on the club stuff. We're also always grilling & member's wives bring baked goods. That's the way it should be.

Regarding the F4U - just switch props & put a Hyperion 240 cell up front, and she'll fly like an air-superiority fighter is supposed to fly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Regarding the F4U - just switch props & put a Hyperion 240 cell up front, and she'll fly like an air-superiority fighter is supposed to fly.

Joel
I also agree with this, however before you drop $15 on a new 5043, adaptor, 240mah and shipping, why not try the dime first?

This way, you're certain that the additional weight grab is going to solve your handling issues.
I run a 5043 with a 250mah Sky Lipo ($2 at HobbyPartz) and the 6mm hex nut inside and am not wanting for any additional performance. (The Solo Pro is about the same as the stock f4U motor, btw.)

I first tried this due to economics. I was laid-off a few weeks after getting the Corsair and couldn't buy a bigger lipo...or the wife would have shot me dead for spending bread & butter money!

Mac
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
I agree with Mac. But, instead of hyperions or sky's, I vote for the 190 mah MiniAviations. They are the best I have flown. And I have flown a lot of different batts. The MA's have just a little more punch to em. I have not tried the SKY lipos myself, but I have heard good things about them. Hyp's used to rule. But, they sit in storage now. Happy Flyin.
Lee
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Joel, right there I can honestlly say, I would join your club. You seem to have a positive attitude and a friendly demeaner. Awesome. If there were more AMA members like you, I think a lot of us, at least myself, would reconsider our feelings on this issue. Thank you. Lee
Lee,

Thanks for the kind words! It would be great to have you as a fellow club member! Would be cool to fly together! Too bad we're nearly 1000 miles apart.

To me, hobbies are all about learning, sharing, making new friends, and having fun. I do not understand those who actually dislike certain aspects of the RC hobby. I mean, sure, there are aspects of the hobby that I enjoy more than others - but I surely don't dislike those in which I'm not as interested. I do see similar things in other hobbies, though. I'm also a hot-rodder & ham radio operator. I run into quite a few hot-rodders in my age group who dislike pretty much anything that doesn't have a big V8 with a set of points & carburetor. Never could understand such nonsense. To me - if it's quick, fast, rare, unusual, innovative, or well-engineered - it's cool - regardless of when it was made, who made it, or how big the engine is. I see the same thing in ham radio. I know guys who "hate" solid-state radios & will only use vintage tube gear. I know others who "hate" voice and only operate Morse code. Again - I fail to understand such childishness.

It's a calm, sunny day, and the temp's up to 32 F. I believe it is time to fly!

Happy flights!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:51 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
Yea Joel, I can understand some of it. Like when snowskiing. We didn't like that the snowboarders used the same trails. They left ridges from cutting in to the snow that we had to pass over. I understand that. I started in copters believe it or not. I still fly copters some. But, I can see where plank flyers wouldn't want copters in the middle of the flight path. But, like you, I can not understand why old gasser pilots would look down on new blood flying UM's to learn and love the sport too. Even if I had a huge plane that flew on Nitro, I would still be tryin to see how slow and low I could get it to go. That is a great part of the envelope to me. Lee
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:23 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I flew 2 Lipos through the Corsair this morning before nosing-in my GWS Focke-Wulf 190.
But even though I've stepped-up to the 1275mm Dynam T-28, a Bixler glider, the FW190 and a scratch-built 36" 3D foamie, I still LOVE to go back to my roots and fly my Champ and Corsair. And my trusty ol' fave: the Super Cub LP.

They are still a real blast to fly!
In fact, my UM T-28 has needed a new brick for 2 months. At the field this morning, one of my fellow flyers handed me a ziplock bag with the complete innards for the T-28! It had the motor, extra aileron servo, brick, gearbox, control rods and even the landing gear.
All for free! What a great friend.

Joel, what are you flying now - any new fun stuff in the hangar?

Mac
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Jan 08, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:29 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
Mac, I am proud to say...Your "dime mod" fixed my UM Corsair. Thanks buddy. I flew some really nice circuits. Did a loop or two and a victory roll. Woot. Three cheers for Mac..."hara, hara, hara" aahahahaha. You da man. Lee
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I maidened my Corsair at the recent indoor event here. Wow, what a really fine flyer. I picked up 4 G-force batteries from Valuehobby (1.69 a piece for 160 mah 30c) and was very impressed with the flight characteristics. Sure, the balance wasn't exactly what I'd want, but a few clicks of downtrim and this plane was performing spectacularly! I'm so happy with this one!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
I just got in from a 7 1/2 minute flight with mine in the back yard. Wow! Was a bullet. haha. After adding 2.3 gms to the cowl and using a MA 190mah battery seems to balance mine out well. But, when I made repairs last night, I failed to look it over good enough. haha. The tail feathers are not at right angles to the main wings. But, few clicks of trim and she still flew well. Rolls like a drill bit. Loops are easy enough. Good vertical. I was very pleased. Thanks again Mac. Your mod fixed my plane. You rock!!!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, IL, Effingham
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I agree with Mac. But, instead of hyperions or sky's, I vote for the 190 mah MiniAviations. They are the best I have flown. And I have flown a lot of different batts. The MA's have just a little more punch to em. I have not tried the SKY lipos myself, but I have heard good things about them. Hyp's used to rule. But, they sit in storage now. Happy Flyin.
Lee
Lee - I like the looks of the MiniAviation 190 mah! But i can't seem to find a US distributor...where do you get them? Thanks!
jorno67 is offline Find More Posts by jorno67
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,042 Posts
I got them from here, direct...

http://miniaviation.com/mCPX.html

But, looks like they are out of stock for the moment. Sorry. If I had of had more money, I would have got there other ones too. Cause I know these are the best I have flown personally. Good luck. Lee