HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
How do you people go about removing the stock prop without breaking it?
Hold the gear and rotate the prop anticlockwise.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,941 Posts
On my Corsair, I had to cut the stickers and tape and open it up. Then I hold the prop in the center and rotate the gear. On other planes it is sometimes possible to grab the shaft with a tool (like pliers) and rotate the prop. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Merry Christmas
Check COG and swap the 3 blade prop for one from your UM P-51. If your corsair is anything like mine, it will need a little more than a half inch carved out towards the cowl to get the battery far enough forward to keep plane from being way tail heavy.
Mine was so tail-heavy, I had to put a 200 mah battery in, and cut foam to move it forward of the stock battery compartment, AND put a couple of grams of dead weight on the nose. (lead fishing weight). Once I was done all that, the CG ended up where the manual said it should be. Go figure. Now it flies effortlessly and lands and takes off without any issues. The nose is so big, that it kills that little 3-bladed prop. Like jgestner says, use the one from your Mustang.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:06 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
To solve the tail-heavy issue, I went with Hyperion 240 mAh 'flat-pack' cells. No dead-weight required. I also use a GWS 5043 prop. With the Hyp 240 & 5043, she now performs as an air-superiority fighter should.

Here's a clip of my having some fun in the yard with the F4U. I was using a Hyp 240 cell & a GWS 5043 prop.

Flying Park Zone's UM Corsair in my yard (6 min 33 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:56 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I know all the 4 channel brushed ums use the same motor, but i didnt wanta start a new thread. I have alot of.experience with these things, but every once in a while the gearbox turns roughly, smoothly, but with alot of resistance. I didnt care on my old sukhois, but when it happenned after 4 flights with my brand new corsair, i neededto figure it out. The prop shaft it not screwed on too tight, i lubed it, no foam is stuck in the gearbox, anyone solved this?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, IL, Effingham
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts
where do you get the Hyperion 240 mAh 'flat-pack' cells?
jorno67 is offline Find More Posts by jorno67
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Allerc is the main us distributor for Hyperion.

Also, when these gearboxes get all rough(if you turn the prop with your finger the prop stops as soon as you pull your finger back), they make a noise, like a grinding noise. Everyone must've experienced this! It's also happening to the left gearbox of my almost new mossie!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:26 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorno67 View Post
Here's the link: http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
They're also available from Quantum Hobby:
http://www.quantumhobby.com/Hyperion...25c02401sm.htm
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:53 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
If anyone feels like defending an UM pilot heres your chance. Look at this thread. looks like some FOGs are berating a kid for flying an Um in the street.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20346760
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:39 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
873 Posts
Quote:
So far bought mine from:

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...&cat=batteries

and,
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=1&id=172

both over seas from the USA.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:47 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
If anyone feels like defending an UM pilot heres your chance. Look at this thread. looks like some FOGs are berating a kid for flying an Um in the street.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20346760
No, its a lost cause.

The guys that fly 10+ lb planes at AMA sanctioned fields, will always be better, safer and more knowledgeable than any of the rest of us.

<2 Oz planes are a menace to society and need to be stopped.

The president of our local AMA sanctioned club seemed overjoyed that a local town was going to ban all R/C vehicles in All 22 of its parks (Cars, boat, planes, everything) because it might "increase membership in the club".

His comments have made me not send in my $95 renewal check.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,941 Posts
Wookster, I was going to go defend that UM pilot. But, someone posted to stop and get back on Topic. So I left it alone. I will not join the AMA. Everyone of them I have talked to are stuck up and A-holes. I know there insurance would be nice. But, there rules and membership fees are too much for me. And, truth be told, I don't think I need the insurance. I generally fly in my back yard, all by myself. Be hard to hurt anything here.
Happy Flyin. Lee
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
No, its a lost cause.

The guys that fly 10+ lb planes at AMA sanctioned fields, will always be better, safer and more knowledgeable than any of the rest of us.

<2 Oz planes are a menace to society and need to be stopped.

The president of our local AMA sanctioned club seemed overjoyed that a local town was going to ban all R/C vehicles in All 22 of its parks (Cars, boat, planes, everything) because it might "increase membership in the club".

His comments have made me not send in my $95 renewal check.
UNGN,

I think your generalized comment regarding those of us who fly larger-scale aircraft at sanctioned fields is very much off-base. The jerks who are getting down on that UM pilot most definitely do not represent the majority of us who fly larger-scale aircraft at AMA-sanctioned fields.

For the most part, my experience with sanctioned clubs has been quite positive over the decades. I'm currently a member of two clubs. Many of the members fly micros and larger aircraft. Many of them also fly their UMs from the street or cul-de-sac. At our winter indoor meets, I even see some of the guys who fly giant-scale during the regular season. Often, there are stories in RCM about clubs actively working with local park boards to establish park-flyer agreements. A couple of the clubs around here have done so.

Regarding your club president - that really sucks. What a crappy attitude! He surely isn't helping to attract new people to the hobby, nor is he acting in the interest of the AMA & general membership. A few years ago, I joined a club that had a serious attitude problem with ARFs, electrics, helis, and UMs. I discovered this when I brought the newly-released mSR & my 48" PA Extra 260 to a monthly meeting for the 'show & tell' part. The majority of the members were not a bit shy about telling me what they thought of ARFs, electrics, helis - and micros in general. Unsurprisingly, there were no young members. At 53 yrs old, I was one of the youngest. It was sad to see a club that still clung to such ancient beliefs. I did not renew my membership the following year.

Fortunately, behavior like that is the exception, not the rule. At least that has been my experience as-of-late. For those who don't have a choice of clubs to join, it can be quite frustrating, though. The good thing is that those old-fashioned attitudes are fading away.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:32 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,941 Posts
Joel, right there I can honestlly say, I would join your club. You seem to have a positive attitude and a friendly demeaner. Awesome. If there were more AMA members like you, I think a lot of us, at least myself, would reconsider our feelings on this issue. Thank you. Lee