HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:30 PM
Porro et Sursum
Australia, New South Wales, Lismore
Joined Oct 2010
173 Posts
The F4U is now doing what it always should have.
I attached the top of the fuse with magnets and skewer.
It is very quick and a brittle wing like this will shatter on impact, so don't crash! I installed the battery inside also. Needs a little foam removed to fit neatly, so it doesn't squash the Rx.
Love it.
I don't recommend this to the faint of heart or slow of thumb.
Plush 6a
AP05
Flying V is offline Find More Posts by Flying V
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:33 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
I just bought one of these cool little planes today and bound it to my DX6i. I have one question; is it normal for the servos to make a continuous electronic type of tone after plugging in the battery? All else seems normal and the plane flies great.
wemattson is offline Find More Posts by wemattson
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:59 AM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemattson View Post
I just bought one of these cool little planes today and bound it to my DX6i. I have one question; is it normal for the servos to make a continuous electronic type of tone after plugging in the battery? All else seems normal and the plane flies great.
For the most part yes.

Although if its really loud, or changes in pitch, check to be sure one of your control surfaces isn't binding on something.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:32 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. It's not too loud, just noticeable. I also spent some time on YouTube and noticed the same noise on a couple of videos of these planes.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemattson View Post
Thanks for the quick response. It's not too loud, just noticeable. I also spent some time on YouTube and noticed the same noise on a couple of videos of these planes.
All the Parkzone UM and e-flite UMX planes do this, I think - some are louder then others though. In my experience it's not a problem if you happen to have one that's a bit louder.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:13 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
Well, I feel better now knowing that this is normal. This little plane is a blast to fly. It's just like flying one of the Monagram/Revell models I built as a kid back in the 70's.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:16 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I just put the Solo Pro motor in my Corsair and it seems to have a deep rumbling sound rather than the usual whine of the stock (P-51) motor.

It's almost like a fast-paced "thump" sound. I'm hoping it's due to additional torque...or something.

Is anyone else running a SP motor in their F4U UM?
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
since we're talking about motor sounds, my stock Motor is making a ticking sound now. or maybe it has been and I'm just noticing it now. I took off the main gear and it's coming from the motor pinion. also it's louder and has more resistance clockwise then counterclockwise. 16 batteries in. 240 mah hyps, 5043 prop. still was flying great though but put her away after I noticed it when I landed. then busted out the sbach. lol. thanks for any info. and a bump on the sp motor question above as I might replace mine with that too. thanks again.
miknoypinoy is offline Find More Posts by miknoypinoy
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I had to send my DX6i back to HH, so I've been afraid to bind the Corsair to my Champ stock tx.
Even in training mode it might be squirrelly, but I'm DYING to fly the F4U again.

Maybe if I take it right straight up high I can avoid any damage that the lack of control might contribute to?

Anyone flying the F4U on the PZ stock tx?
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I had to send my DX6i back to HH, so I've been afraid to bind the Corsair to my Champ stock tx.
Even in training mode it might be squirrelly, but I'm DYING to fly the F4U again.

Maybe if I take it right straight up high I can avoid any damage that the lack of control might contribute to?

Anyone flying the F4U on the PZ stock tx?
i tried ... failed ... i would not recommend it!
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:31 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined May 2011
108 Posts
I learned to fly with it all stock this year. Now i do have a Dx6i tough... Just put the control rods at less travel position.
Mespert is offline Find More Posts by Mespert
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:58 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
After a five year break from R/C (last plane was a terrible Parkzone Cub) I decided to jump back in with the ultra-micro F4U. It was both a blessing and a curse, as I promptly smashed the thing into the ground many times. After some foam-safe CA and lots of practice, I've gotta say I love this warbird. With a little bit of coaxing, it will do Immelmanns, loops, rolls, and nice slow landings.

I found the "dime mod" described in this thread to be incredibly helpful. Even though I've learned to fly, the micro Corsair is rather beat up now.

Has anyone done a complete airframe replacement for this plane? I've seen the Horizon videos on Youtube but I'd like some opinions on this. Its not a necessary repair, I'd just like to get it looking beautiful again.

Thanks
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:37 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
After a five year break from R/C (last plane was a terrible Parkzone Cub) I decided to jump back in with the ultra-micro F4U. It was both a blessing and a curse, as I promptly smashed the thing into the ground many times. After some foam-safe CA and lots of practice, I've gotta say I love this warbird. With a little bit of coaxing, it will do Immelmanns, loops, rolls, and nice slow landings.

I found the "dime mod" described in this thread to be incredibly helpful. Even though I've learned to fly, the micro Corsair is rather beat up now.

Has anyone done a complete airframe replacement for this plane? I've seen the Horizon videos on Youtube but I'd like some opinions on this. Its not a necessary repair, I'd just like to get it looking beautiful again.

Thanks

Here's my opinion: Spend your money on a new Corsair while upgrading your original to brushless. Better yet, spend your money on brushless components to upgrade your original. The inexpensive easy upgrade takes your Corsair to the next level in performance. However, be warned that if you buy a new Corsair then upgrade your old one you may find yourself flying the brushless exclusively.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Oct 04, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:12 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Is there a drop in replacement motor? All I know about the current setup is that it is a little lacking in the thrust to weight department.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:41 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post
Is there a drop in replacement motor? All I know about the current setup is that it is a little lacking in the thrust to weight department.
The current motors are the most powerful HH offers, but they are pretty inconsistent, so if you get a new one, it may have more pep. Swap the prop to a 4-site prop and it will make more thrust.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN